2 channel audio interface

Damn bro…you got my full attention.

1 Like

yeah it’s a pi 3!
DM me ok? :ok_hand: we‘ll find something

Hey bro…Tell me more about the custom robot pi you cooked up! lol

Can’t dm you due to private profile?

oh sorry. yeah I have to do a tutorial vid about that…

Greetings! In our latest video, we look at the USB audio interface capabilities and setup of the OP-Z and how this works in conjunction with the recently added sampling features. Check it out:

OP-Z Sampling Explained.

2 Likes

Is there any reason why I couldn’t make an aggregate device - for me, Op-z plus MOTU mkIII plus iConnect MIDI 4+ - so I can use the I/O’s on my MOTU Ultralite 3 and also the Op-z (to channel Op-z audio straight into Ableton)? If I can do this, does it screw things up if I occasionally don’t have the OP-z plugged in (other than not having access to the Op-z soundcard I/O)? Thanks!

Hey Roots and Wires, I think you have an interesting question. In short, you could try it and let us know since you have all the gear in question.

My understanding is that the OPZ can be setup as an Input in your DAW, and your Motu could be setup as an output. And you could have midi to and from the OPZ, or another device. So it should work, but I’m not certain and I don’t know what you hope to achieve with the setup. But please let us know how your experimentation goes.

Thanks Ollie. Sure, I’ll try it out tonight and report back. At the most basic, I’m hoping to be able to record (along with other input sources) straight into Ableton from the Op-Z (thus bypassing any DAC conversion) and also to be able to record audio from the Op-Z without having to give up inputs on the MOTU (i.e. to avoid plugging a stereo 1/8th inch from Op-Z to dual mono 1/4 inch on MOTU as I have been doing).

Per an alternate thread, I’m also trying to figure out a place for the Op-Z in my larger MIDI ecosystem and how to efficiently make use of my dabblings with Op-Z/iPad (i.e. Aum and various synths and samplers), created away from the studio, when brought back into the studio. I’ve enjoyed using the Op-Z to sequence longer samples on Beatmaster 3, so I can to a degree bypass, in a sense, the constraints on sample size and have longer one shots and samples… Here’s one such experiment:

That should work. You can definitely add the OP-Z to an aggregate device.

1 Like

Yup, it worked just fine. Pretty straightforward. I now have the OP-Z audio feeding straight into my DAW via USB, alongside the iConnectMIDI and MOTU. Pretty cool! I did find that if I turn off the OP-Z, it crashes Ableton. I’m also able to have an iPad plugged into the iConnectMIDi and due to the audio passthrough feature it doesn’t require any additional inputs on my MOTU.

After a ton of difficulty, I’m also finally able to sequence my iPad with my Op-z (across the iConnect at home and not just the camera kit out in the field). It gave me a lot of difficulty initially because the computer had mis-labeled the MIDI4+ ports. I had to use a MIDI app tool to figure this out (though I was plugged into USB1, it had labeled this as an Ethernet port), but was able to delete and rescan the MIDI4+ and now it’s fluid.

Now, I need to figure out how to get MATHS to trigger my OP-Z to start at the peak of its rise envelope (using Ableton and CV tools)…

Hey everyone,

We made a video about recording / exporting audio from the OP-Z. There are several ways to do this and we walk through a few common ways to get a recording of your project from the OP-Z. Enjoy!

I noticed when I have all projects, samples, and patterns full on OP-Z and using the audio interface, there’s a pause (stops playing for a sec) when chaining between pattern. If I do a factory reset, it doesn’t have that pause when using the audio interface. I also noticed when jumping between patterns manually there isn’t a pause. Has anyone else encountered this?