Ableton "Misery"

Also don't bother about that dude who got a hit using garage band loops. Good on him/her. Next.
  • 20K :slight_smile:
Funnily enough I've upgraded from Live 6 to Live 8 Suite a while ago and for some obscure reason I realised only today looking at the comparison charts that I could have used Live intro all along!!

Like the others say though, consider Live as an empty shell and bring your own content. Go to charity shops and buy 5-10 random LPs for not much money and spend quality you-time going through them to find that piano stab, that guitar riff, drum break, percussion or vocals to sample.

Way more satisfactory than fiddling through a sound bank with a mouse IMO.

Also don’t bother about that dude who got a hit using garage band loops. Good on him/her. Next.

Good Idea to go to charity shops! My sampling heaven are the public libraries in my hometown. 20€ a year and you can get everything from dusty old to brand new music. :slight_smile:

This is a great idea, thanks for sharing!

Regarding the packs, I have downloaded simply all of the stuff that doesn’t have samples at all. The Max for Live and Pluggo stuff is fantastic, weird sound generators as well as routing tools which are really inspiring

Some of the things @ludicrouSpeed mentions at the beginning might have workarounds so they are doable from Push, I hope I have some time next week to look at them…

@bichuelo I would LOVE to hear about any workarounds… I don’t think I explained myself properly though.

You CAN adjust loop points without converting to simpler, but it looks like minimum resolution is 16 or maybe 1/4 notes, regardless of quantization settings. Meaning that if you’re sampling from a non beat matched source, as is quite common of course, you’re kinda screwed / have to get messy mousey

None of that matters anyway, cause there appears to be NO WAY to edit warp markers from push.

Sorry for all the capslock, but if this isn’t an appropriate time for keyboard shouting, then what is :wink:

The way I see it, before I start making a track I have infinite number of options. (At least this is true in our digital age.) When I finish making a track I narrow those options down to the specific sound file that’s music. Thus, having nearly infinite number of options in some tool means that tool doesn’t get me very far towards creating anything. This is my second reason for not using any software for music beyond Audacity. (My second reason is that I’m sick of being in front of a computer all the time and music is a good break.)

:slight_smile:

I purchased Ableton Intro a few years back. I tried and tried to get my head wrapped around how it worked but I never gelled with the interface (it’s dark and tiny letters, very PC-ish, and I’m a Mac person), I never really understood the clips vs. session view and how that all worked. I gave up and bought Logic Pro 9 (at the time). Then I let that go and didn’t upgrade when I moved to a newer OS X version. So I started back with Ableton Intro again, only to give up again, even after watching tons of tutorials and buying a book, etc. I’d find that I’d hit something or do something and couldn’t figure out what or how to get it back to where it was before.

I came from the old analog recording studio days, and that is how I learned to record and learned production workflows. I hate to say I’m stuck in the past but it’s what is the most comfortable to me. I think that’s why Logic just makes more sense to me.

I have to say that I have been keenly interested in the Push 2 and more so since becoming an OP-1 owner. I am starting to understand the workflow a little better but still quite confused about the interface and why it’s set up the way it is.

So I bought Logic Pro X and have been able to use it pretty intuitively right from the get go. It’s just not really made for on the fly or EDM stuff, at least not as much as Ableton is. :frowning: ugh. I’m stuck between the two. I wish there was a DAW that had the cool EDM features of Ableton but the Mac OS style ease of use of Logic for me. But would also work with Push 2 as well.

I agree with the others here about not downloading too much and just concentrate on a few packs. I do that with my OP-1 and I stick with the basics in Logic, then after I have some ideas fleshed out, I’ll embellish with different instruments (if I’m doing MIDI) or just re-record (if I’m doing audio).

P.S. sorry for the long post and not trying to take over the OP thread. It just brought up a lot of this confusion and disappointment.

All very relevant @flyingace71, thanks for your 2 cents :slight_smile:

My OP was mainly venting, anyway, haha.

Ok, and here I go, back to ableton, try to set this session up. In a bad mood today (what else is new? Hehe)… Let’s see what happens.

I’ve got Intro with push, and I’m a bit frustrated because of the “4 mono audio input channels” limitation :frowning:

I've got Intro with push, and I'm a bit frustrated because of the "4 mono audio input channels" limitation :(

Yeah, that’s buns. And not the good kind of buns.

Sounds like you’re doing some cool stuff if you need more than 4 inputs, or are you moreso missing the stereo option? I think you can consolidate 2 mono clips to a stereo clip… But I’d have to check that. It’s still a pain anyway.

Regarding the packs, I have downloaded simply all of the stuff that doesn't have samples at all. The Max for Live and Pluggo stuff is fantastic, weird sound generators as well as routing tools which are really inspiring

I’ll update my suggestions; every pack from the Max for Live series and the Granulator II

Haven’t explored all of these, though
... the Granulator II

The Granulator II is one of my favorite things of all time. It is one powerful little instrument.

Ok I’m hearing a lot about granulator II :smiley:

It’s funny cause that onekepr catching my eye. I guess I dig grains.

Will defs grab it :slight_smile:

dangit, now I want a Push 2 SO BAD!! LudicouSpeed, how is it working for you so far? is it helping bridge the gap between controller and Live? Have you upgraded to Standard or Suite yet?

dangit, now I want a Push 2 SO BAD!! LudicouSpeed, how is it working for you so far? is it helping bridge the gap between controller and Live? Have you upgraded to Standard or Suite yet?

I’m undecided about it. I love a lot about it, but the inability to edit warp markers or more fine control of clip editing, plus no key oars shortcuts mean that you still end up using the mouse a lot. And I’ve always hated used the mouse for audio. Inspite of it working fine, it makes me feel so disconnected from the music. Full disclosure, I hate mouseyness for anything… If I could never use a mouse again, I would be a happy man. Push looks beautiful, and inspire of the pads having some issues. Ie. Some people report them being insensitive compared to push 1 (which I’ve never used so cant compare), it does feel good to use. The pads feel a billion times better than apc40mk2… But there are a lot of controllers out there I haven’t tried. I love the look of the quneo, and I’d love something with just a tonne of knobs on it for hard mapping. I’m guessing I’ll end up with 3 or more controllers as I progress with my live sets and just have more dedicated functions. I can still see push 2 being super useful, as even if it means that say 50% or more of the time I’m using push or even keyboard instead of mouse, then I should be fifty percent or more happier :wink: just gotta accept that no controller / software / instrument / hardware is going to be exactly the way I want, even if how I want it seems to be the objectively best way :wink:

I’m hoping ableton bring out a major update soon for push 2, but someone over the the ableton forums (pretty quiet over there, even when you’re talking about ableton :p), that the push API does not include warp marker ability to be included. I don’t know exactly what that means but it may mean a) it’s not possible at all or b) it needs to be fully or partially rewritten to add it. So maybe ableton 10 comes soon, and maybe it has push ౩ (that’s gonna annoy me if it’s way vetter) or maybe 9.8 drops w/ awesome new features for push 2 (makes me happy if they are features I want)… either way, I hope bitwig 2 is making ableton a bit nervous and that that rock my socks w/ some breakthroughs. Oh and my user name on ableton is cmprvdncr incase you search for my post.

Other ableton shizz is annoying too… Just l little things like I have a clip playing in session view and it’s slightly ahead of the beat, but I want it to be behind, I can nudge it with a mapped button on my controller, but I want to nudge it so that it will always be behind the beat. Ie. Next time I’m playing this set… Doesn’t seem to be a solution I can see for this that is straightforward.

I’m hoping that I get used to these annoying issues, and figure out workarounds like on the op1… But I am impatient and filled with doubt and disbelief that it will get better. However I must look to my op1 skills which on a personal subjective level are growing and growing.

I feel like this is a sermon " we must look to the op1" all rise.

Probably not the answer you’re looking for. Sorry, but there’s no one in my life I can talk to really about ableton and audio nerd / musician shizz that doesn’t stared blankly (not entirely true, but that’s how I feel)

Short answer: stop thinking about whether you need a push 2, and make a sick bea(s)t with what you got and then pwn the dancefloor with it <3 you’ll be happier.

Dbl post