again: op 1 and ipad

could someone please tell me why my setup is not working?

op1 usb with CCK into ipad lightning.
op1 audio though ground loop isolator into an headphone mic Y splitting cable (mic plug) into ipad.
headphones into other plug of the Y cable.

ipad running AUM into Auria pro

just doesn’t work.

thanks

stefan

Firstly, have you tried disabling USB charging on your OP-1?

CB

Do it one thing at a time. Does the midi work?

From what I remember, you can’t run audio in directly through the headphone jack of the iPad, Apple just won’t let it happen.

Hey, define “does not work?”

iPad jack is TRRS (Tip, Ring, Ring, Sleeve).

I’m pretty sure from tip to sleeve, the connections are:

Tip: Left audio
Ring: Right audio
Ring: Ground
Sleeve: Mic

So, whatever you plug into there as a mic needs to isolate the sleeve nearest the outside of the jack to connect with the microphone input pins.
Hey, define "does not work?"

This thought crossed my mind too :slight_smile:

CB

iPad jack is TRRS (Tip, Ring, Ring, Sleeve).

I'm pretty sure from tip to sleeve, the connections are:

Tip: Left audio
Ring: Right audio
Ring: Ground
Sleeve: Mic

So, whatever you plug into there as a mic needs to isolate the sleeve nearest the outside of the jack to connect with the microphone input pins.

I bought a little adapter thingy thinking that if I could hit the mic input I’d be golden. Turns out there’s some wack impedance autodetection in place and nothing I could do would make it detect that a line level signal was going in - it would always default to the built-in mic. I researched it loads and didn’t find many people talking about it or offering workarounds, and I eventually ponied up 20 quid for that cheap behringer USB-RCA interface. YMMV.

the cheap adapters dont work. you need to buy the expensive one directly from apple

the cheap adapters dont work. you need to buy the expensive one directly from apple

Can’t seem to find the right thing, got a link?

lightning to usb from apple unless they have changed the connectors again. i dont have an ipad anymore.

sorry, should have been more precise:

I am using something like this

61u-6JE7zwL._SL1000_

to split audio out an mic in, but all i can make out is a very short
sound blib, maybe a quarter second. sounds like a broken cable, but it
isn’t. AUM only recognises the ipad’s inbuilt mic.

Going mono into the ipad wouldn’t bother me.

would a DI box trick the ipad in accepting the signal?

Is there a way to trick the ipad to accepting a mono line signal?

what I want to achieve is recording and processing the op-1 with AUM, while using the ipad as a master midi clock and maybe a sequencer.

And I want to be able to monitor the ipad by headphones.

preferably all running on batteries

sorry, should have been more precise:

I am using something like this

61u-6JE7zwL._SL1000_

to split audio out an mic in, but all i can make out is a very short sound blib, maybe a quarter second. sounds like a broken cable, but it isn't. AUM only recognises the ipad's inbuilt mic.

Going mono into the ipad wouldn't bother me.

would a DI box trick the ipad in accepting the signal?

Is there a way to trick the ipad to accepting a mono line signal?

Yeah, this is the kind of cable I couldn’t get o work. Not sure if a DI would help, didn’t try.

Does midi work with the OP1 just going direct into iPad?

MAybe an iRig or an iRig 2 would help?

you could do that all over the lightning port and listen to the audio from the ipad…

Wouldn’t I block it then for midi use?

iam using this and it’s even possible to record line in Audio by doing a video.

you have to know which App does monitoring, if not there’s no way to hear the signal. you can use filtatron, audiomux or garageband for that. they can easily run in the background.
Wouldn't I block it then for midi use?

USB hub?

usb hub ftw. the ipad can handle a tremendous amount of things plugged into it.

at my peak of ipad integration I had usb hub into CCk with op1, midi keyboard, audio interface, and control voltage interface(cvpal) all plugged into the ipad at once and was able to get it all working no problem.

can still monitor out from headphone jack(most apps let you choose)

i used the ipad to midi control the op1 with keyboard and get tempo sync. the op1 now spits out a click clock which i can use to sync to my modular so no more ipad. and as per midi i use a raspberry pi. still looking to get an ipad pro and get my ipad integration going again. was such a pleasure to produce music on the ipad. totally serious in my studio laying tracks down and tweaking. laying on my couch tweaking sound lvls and fx. so great… wish it had more storage though…