Ahead of the Curve Crew

I love thinking. I always wondered about ‘software updates’ as its right on the boarder line of now and next. On the whole I’m interested in the precipice of commercial things and I had a little thought. I believe the next space for SoundHound or Siri is to read each multiband frequency they are honing in on and in addition to telling me the song I’m hearing they will also tell me what the sampled tune is and whether or not that sampled piece is sped up or slowed down.

I often used to think up many things and I would see those items two or so years after thinking them up on a shelf for people to buy. So, I’m not sure where to share this idea but I know it’s sick.

Does anybody out there have thoughts that are ahead of the curve? I love design and I read an interesting poster in Harajuku, Tokyo at the weekend. It read: “The best way to predict the future is to design it.” <<<LOVE THAT!!!

Please let this be a thread for those that experience the same :slight_smile:

I once thought, “Why don’t they combine Crocs and moccasins and call them Croccasins?” Then 2 years later they came out with them, but didn’t call them Croccasins. They almost had a great idea.

A few weeks ago, during the night, I just came up with the idea of extending stereo, not only with adding another pair of speakers, but also adding them not in the same plane as the other to get background sounds + high/low dimension…

I imagined how it would completely reshape everything we know about recording… I thought about concert places, mixing, headphones, and of course home audio installation.

I couldn’t sleep anymore, with fever I did what any “inventor” does nowadays with a brilliant idea : check on the internet who had this brilliant idea before.

Turned out there was an attempt to introduce quadraphony in the 70’s, at a time where the technology was not mature enough : this turned out to be a complete fiasco.
:frowning:
Still, I’d love to listen to a record from Aphex Twin or La Colonie de Vacances in quadraphony…

@GCF Oh hahahaha NICE!!!

@LyingDalai hey now LD that’s cool! It reminds me of a permenant installation at a communication museum in Tokyo called ICC. There’s a room more darker than a jet jaguar. The audio appears to move around. It’s so cleverly calculated that you feel like you can catch it, touch it, or you may even get hit by it as it dances around in the dark.
I also, remember reading and article about a guy named Max (http://djtechtools.com/2013/10/24/the-4d-soundsystem-max-cooper-interview/) although I read the article on either Resident Advisor or FACT Magazine and it was extremely detailed; however, it didn’t have any audio examples or vids like the link offered.

My ahead of the curve thought was to make an internet search engine that steals all the great inventions that you search “to see if they’ve been done before”, and sells those ideas :slight_smile:

A friend and I had an “ahead of the curve” idea back in about 2000… we wanted to see if we could find a way of using a record on a turntable to manipulate the playback of a wav. We hacked a mouse such that we could place the mouse ball on our turntable and my friend wrote a unix script that was able to read the direction and speed of the mouse movements and apply that to the playback of a wav. It actually worked!

…and then of course people with a bit more business acumen than us had the same idea and developed it into a proper product and made a gazillion dollars - d’oh!

But you can be happy with the knowledge you were “balls on vinyl” first!

In music realm? Not sure whether these qualify, but I will post them anyway.

Routing-mixer. A box where you plug all the inputs and outputs of your hardware, then able to configure the routing programmatically. (This way you could switch from one set up to another without laborious rewiring.) A digital version might be made someday. An analog version is unlikely, because you would have to use relays.

Mathematical synth. Digital synth where you can type in a formula for your base waveform. (It would automatically multiply it by the correct pitch and apply envelopes and filters, so you don’t have to do extensive programming.)

Breadboard modular. “Modular” synth kit made of small circuits that you can plug into breadboard.

Directional post-processor. A piece of software that “filters out” all the signals that are panned to the side. It would turn stereo omnidirectional recordings into mono directed recordings without the need to change hardware. This might have been implemented, but I couldn’t find anything.

I thought of Maschine like 4 years before it came out. Also, have thought of the idea of a “whats that sample” Shazam. Have the idea for the perfect beat machine in my head, wish I could make it :slight_smile:

Breadboard modular. "Modular" synth kit made of small circuits that you can plug into breadboard.

The breadboard modular exists!

http://bleeplabs.com/store/the-rad-fi-system

A few weeks ago, during the night, I just came up with the idea of extending stereo, not only with adding another pair of speakers, but also adding them not in the same plane as the other to get background sounds + high/low dimension....
I imagined how it would completely reshape everything we know about recording... I thought about concert places, mixing, headphones, and of course home audio installation.

I couldn't sleep anymore, with fever I did what any "inventor" does nowadays with a brilliant idea : check on the internet who had this brilliant idea before.

Turned out there was an attempt to introduce quadraphony in the 70's, at a time where the technology was not mature enough : this turned out to be a complete fiasco.
:(
Still, I'd love to listen to a record from Aphex Twin or La Colonie de Vacances in quadraphony...
Robert Henke (aka Monolake) did an installation called "Wave Field Synthesis" that I saw at CTM in Berlin a couple of years ago that involved the audience standing in a circle of 192 speakers...

https://vimeo.com/56621702
Have the idea for the perfect beat machine in my head, wish I could make it :)

i think about this a lot…like a lot a lot

An Double-O-ctarytm with some synthesis, pads, with dedicated volume knobs for each track and the possibility to record on the fly without the restriction one trigger max per step ? Plus two XY surfaces ? And maybe some of those enhanced individual MIDI interfaces like the Seaboard Rise ?

I’m in !!

BTW : if such a project would arise just to put the baseline for this perfect drumbox, I’d be glad to participate to the conception :slight_smile:
Even just for fun.

BTW : if such a project would arise just to put the baseline for this perfect drumbox, I'd be glad to participate to the conception :)
Even just for fun.

Same here. I’d love to hear what the perfect drumbox would be for people!