Anyone else make progress with the unity videolab package yet?

I’ve spent several weeks now learning the basics of Blender animation and Unity and Videolab. Wow - that was intense.

One little roadblock: Has anyone had success with Skinner FX in the app? They work fine in Unity but don’t show up in the app. I’m not doing any scripting - it’s all Klak nodes. I’m not certain but I don’t think that any of Keijiro’s examples utilize Skinner FX so I don’t have any references to check. It’s explicitly mentioned in the Videolab wiki so I’d think it would be supported.

1 Like

I haven’t had a go yet with the Skinner FX but have you checked if Metal is activated? It should say on the top part of your Unity Project window next to the name. If it doesn’t say Metal, try activating it in Edit -> Player, but it might not do anything. Also, what device are you trying to reproduce this on? Are you on the latest iOS? Check out https://github.com/keijiro/Skinner and open his Test to see his exact settings.

I checked the “Enable Metal Editor Support” thing in Unity - didn’t seem to help. Again - everything in my project works fine in the app except the Skinner stuff for some reason. Added an Issue to the videolab github page - hopefully someone will take a look. Thanks.

This thread is the only reason I ended up spending a crazy amount of time learning the basics of all of this stuff. There’s a ton of …stuff… in this first vid of mine so I thought I’d share my result:

7 Likes

Very cool. I can dig the space man. Impressive indeed.

Hey everyone, first post so thought i’d say quick hi and thanks to all people who contribute to these posts to help get the right info out there.

Im currently looking to set up unity on my mac but i’ve noticed that a newer version of unity became available 5.6.7 on Mar 1st and video lab 1.1 has been available for 10 days. Has anyone had experience running these together and getting results?

I haven’t tried yet but i hate installing and uninstalling software repeatedly so i would like to try and get it done in 1 having failed already. I had installed unity 2018 instead of 5.5.6 thinking i was already on OPZ app OS 1.1 (i am now running 1.1 and OS 1.1.23 on OPZ)

Its great to see people getting impressive results from this thing but can’t help feeling like I’m missing out. Would be nice to get a rundown from some of the earlier contributors on what Unity / Videolab combinations they were using, if they can.

Cheers

I havent worked on anything since the first release, but I thought it worked with the latest version of unity now – no?

Also, @dennisjs very cool man, you put a lot of work in! Looks great!! lots of variety too! :+1:

1 Like

Hey man. Thanks for getting back on this one, not been too popular a subject recently, guessing it’s a case of if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Which videolab and unity combination are you using then?

Cheers

I gots new stuffs on my youtubes https://youtu.be/Z-KbWRgTZOs

Here’s something I cooked up:

1 Like

That looks really cool.

Seems like Unity video playback objects aren’t supported.
No slipping actual video in I guess.

I don’t know what a video playback object is but I’ve gotten video clips to play and do stuff with videolab

Hmmm.
I have video clips in the project and they play inside Unity but not inside the OpZ app. Are there additional limitations on video format?

I’m totally fuzzy on this cause it was a while ago. But I THINK I got video to work in app. If i’m going to guess I’d say it was h.264. I was trying to check if it’s still there but motion keeps crashing (op-z is not connected). as of late I just make standalone unity programs because I got frustrated with the app.

thank link doesnt work anymore, but I cant edit the post. Here is the final product (posted later in this thread)

1 Like

have anyone managed to get video lab working in MacOs recently? Cannot get it/unity to work properly.

Hello there! Having big problems with this… I installed the last version of Unity(2019.2.17) on my PC, then imported the last videolab package from github, everything seems to get loaded into Unity but i don’t find any of the videolab objects when i try to put them (right click) into my scene… Any solutions around? TE seems to be very cryptic about this… Not even a short official tutorial around the web! :sweat:

yes the videoplayer component shows up fine in unity 18.4.2 on mojave mac and in the ios app 1.2.4. it plays a h.264 even on a 3d image plane. and also as a camera far plane. so far so rad.

Hi. I just started using Videolab, thanks everyone for this thread, it’s been really helpful. I’ve got a noob question: If I have a gameobject with several short, simple animations, and I would like different Midi notes to trigger each one (C triggers anim1, D triggers anim2, and so on), how should I go about it? I got the first animation working fine when I play C using Note Input (filter note C) > Animator Out, but I’ve got no idea how to switch to other animations when playing other notes. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.