Anyone liking the volume knob?

Maybe its the sacrificial switch. TE weighed the unit and knew that most drops would occur on the power switch side. Let the switch take the blunt of the fall, not the precious.

3d printed replacements should be cheap

@masterofstuff124 said:
3d printed replacements should be cheap

Yeah, and we might even see some alternative designs too.

I wonder how easy or hard it is to get the bottom of the volume knob out of the unit once the top is broken off though.

the knittered flat cable on the teardown pictures is another thing that may break in Time

@PLNB said:
Its both a power switch and volume, so space considerations were made to cover both needs. The dial can also be covered with something if desired, so that’s always an option.

a more stiff rotary dial in the big blank space on the op-z probably would have worked better. Already seen one broken power/volume knob in instagram.

the longer I use it the more I hate it

I don’t really understand all the hate, I’ve only seen maybe one or two positive comments about the volume knob here.
Granted I haven’t received mine yet so I can’t develop my own opinion. But it feels like we are forgetting this instrument has been in development for years. I’m sure TE tested different options and landed on this because they liked it. TE’s instruments are appealing to me personally not only for their function but for their design - sometimes designers make sacrifices (form vs function).

Consider iPhones… Do I think the fragility of the glass front and back is bad design? Yes. But sacrifices were made so that the phones can look sleek and appeal to the people Apple is trying to market towards. (just don’t drop it)

To be clear I’m not trying to start an argument, I just think that the discussions here could be different. Appreciate what you have and be careful. Hold your dear OPZ tight when you move and protect that knob! And if you really hate it that much just snip it off so its half as long and hit it with a little file to square it up.

@sck said:
I don’t really understand all the hate, I’ve only seen maybe one or two positive comments about the volume knob here.
Granted I haven’t received mine yet so I can’t develop my own opinion. But it feels like we are forgetting this instrument has been in development for years. I’m sure TE tested different options and landed on this because they liked it. TE’s instruments are appealing to me personally not only for their function but for their design - sometimes designers make sacrifices (form vs function).

Consider iPhones… Do I think the fragility of the glass front and back is bad design? Yes. But sacrifices were made so that the phones can look sleek and appeal to the people Apple is trying to market towards. (just don’t drop it)

To be clear I’m not trying to start an argument, I just think that the discussions here could be different. Appreciate what you have and be careful. Hold your dear OPZ tight when you move and protect that knob! And if you really hate it that much just snip it off so its half as long and hit it with a little file to square it up.

Dude, come on. I love TE too, but even amazing designers are capable of and prone to error. Not to say that the volume knob is indeed an error, but I’m calling logical fallacy on your argument. among one or two other logical fallacies you’re creating a straw man out of the argument coming from the people who are criticizing the volume knob/tab/broken ass thing. You are trying to prove the point that te chose the volume knob design because they liked it, but I don’t think anyone’s arguing that t e don’t like it. The people here criticizing the volume knob design are saying that a) they personally don’t like it as an owner / consumer and/or b) it is objectively unless good design choice then it could have been for objective reasons such as it’s easy to break and it’s difficult to turn. I don’t hear anyone disagreeing that it looks bad but come on let’s stop sucking the d**k of TE, hahahaha.

I’m a little bit sorry to tear into your arguments so much, but this flagrant disregard of logic grinds my gears.

The volume knob is the feature I use the least; pretty much turn it on and forget about it. When i’m Making music I forget that it’s there ?

Dude, come on. I love TE too, but even amazing designers are capable of and prone to error. Not to say that the volume knob is indeed an error, but I’m calling logical fallacy on your argument. among one or two other logical fallacies you’re creating a straw man out of the argument coming from the people who are criticizing the volume knob/tab/broken ass thing. You are trying to prove the point that te chose the volume knob design because they liked it, but I don’t think anyone’s arguing that t e don’t like it. The people here criticizing the volume knob design are saying that a) they personally don’t like it as an owner / consumer and/or b) it is objectively unless good design choice then it could have been for objective reasons such as it’s easy to break and it’s difficult to turn. I don’t hear anyone disagreeing that it looks bad but come on let’s stop sucking the d**k of TE, hahahaha.

I’m a little bit sorry to tear into your arguments so much, but this flagrant disregard of logic grinds my gears.

Damn, alright. message received. I thought i was being pretty unaggressive and was merely trying to put things into perspective. Clearly not how it was taken.

I’ll stay out of it.

I just really would like to understand why TE designed it that way. Maybe it‘s not a bug but a feature?

@sketcherazzi said:
The volume knob is the feature I use the least; pretty much turn it on and forget about it. When i’m Making music I forget that it’s there ?

Same here, and I like to, when I’m done, hold the volume button with my left hand and turning the entire OP-Z to turn it off.
No problems yet!

@sck said:
I don’t really understand all the hate, I’ve only seen maybe one or two positive comments about the volume knob here…

If TE would communicate more clearly about specs, and design choices you would have a good point. They should stick with the marketing strategy of the pocket operators, don’t say anything about it until it is ready to ship. Way better than the over promise under deliver approach of the op-z. RIP glow in the dark buttons, and traveling to Europe for a weekend without a charger.

I think it looks great and works pretty good. I’ve not had a problem with it. Seems quite robust unless you drop the unit on it at an unlucky angle. It’s a bit fiddly to turn when flat on a desk, but even a round knob wouldn’t help there.

I agree with the comment earlier in the thread - seems like a 3D printed one should be easy.

Maybe a LEGO one wouldn’t have stayed on properly while moving it about?

@sck said:

Damn, alright. message received. I thought i was being pretty unaggressive and was merely trying to put things into perspective. Clearly not how it was taken.

I’ll stay out of it.

Hey, about that, you’re very welcome to share your opinions here and everywhere, whatever they are. I hope you don’t feel bullied, and that you’re having a swell day. PS. I was stressed when I wrote my previous post. ,???

Turn on your op-z and relax…:v:Have a good weekend!

I really like the volume knob. Because I think it looks good, doesn’t feel flimsy to me, lets the OP-Z travel without accidentally getting switched on, and makes sure I don’t blow my ears out because I have to actually turn up the volume vs just having it instantly full-blast on.