App for OSX to play the 4 tapes .aif-files simultaneously?

It’d be very handy to easily play the four tape tracks simultaneously when looking through the growing archives of tapes on the hard drive. Any recommendations?

garageband

i remember seeing somewhere a way to quicklook two mono files as one stereo in osx, but can’t remember where. and anyway in this case we’re talking 4 files at a time…

In theory, the AIFF spec allows for multiple channels to be combined in one aif. The resource below suggests any number of channels could be supported, not just two.

http://www-mmsp.ece.mcgill.ca/documents/audioformats/aiff/docs/aiff-c.9.26.91.pdf

So some program out there should be able to combine all four tape tracks into a single file that could then be auditioned. (Not sure what players would then do with the extra tracks with respect to panning? Play them down the centre perhaps?)

I added it as a note on the github page of the little java project I started a while back as I think it’s an interesting requirement.

ableton

maybe a nice way around this is, if the OP1 exposes its mixer parameters anywhere, to have a dedicated backup app/workflow that merges the 4 tracks into a tape preview file, ideally applying the output eq/mixer/drive parameters…

AUDACITY would be simple drag and drop 4 files for 4 channel playback.

Think it’s for Mac as well as PC.

thanks for the input! what i’m looking for however is to just select the tracks with shift then press space (and some key) in Finder and have them play :slight_smile:

thanks for the input! what i'm looking for however is to just select the tracks with shift then press space (and some key) in Finder and have them play :)

nothing as easy as that sorry.

check out audacity though. you are literally dragging in 4 files then hitting play!

ive come to appreciate the four separate tracks out of my op1. my sample fodder folder has grown immensely since purchasing the op1. and getting them all linked together is as easy as dragging them into seperate tracks in my DAW.

ive come to appreciate the four separate tracks out of my op1. my sample fodder folder has grown immensely since purchasing the op1. and getting them all linked together is as easy as dragging them into seperate tracks in my DAW.

this

I’m not sure if this is an acceptable answer but can’t you just record the 4 tracks to album on the op-1 itself and then export that? Then you can run thru the files and play them with the shift key on your mac.

I sometimes do this.

Then I have them separated into tracks as well as combined as sides of the album.

Not sure if that helps.

-j

@jonnyjonnyc i guess that’s a reasonable solution. i think i’ve so far for logic logistics sakes only emptied the op-1 once the album+tapes are full, and that means i’m super eager to empty it to be able to use the tapes once again haha. i guess i should do this actually!

also, i wouldnt mind to have the album’s A and B side be 2 four track 3 minute instead… !