Battle 36 - Stakes Is High

This was a really great battle prompt, and despite the extra long entry timeframe, I was unable to participate. I hope to hear more great last minute entries!

Got a couple of hours free, kettle on. :slight_smile:

Go ahead @ghostly606 !
For my part, I dropped the base, but I try recording several albums which for now aren’t very conclusive :stuck_out_tongue:

supper Kewl, Metske!
here my contribution: Usually I use this Sc account for other purposes but I couldnt upload today to my usual user, servando-bareiro…

cheers!
https://soundcloud.com/the-grateful-nerd/s3l4s0u7

First of all, I’ve got to say that every posted tracks are great, styles are very different, love it :smiley:
Here is my contribution

Rock'n'Wall (side B) by Quarantequatre | Free Listening on SoundCloud

The track is based on “Michael Jackson - Off the Wall” sample and I also used “Fluke - I wanna rock” introduction. (Hence the title of the track “Rock’n’Wall”)
I’ve used the Stacks drums (from the op-1) to drop the beat a little more ! With some Nitro effect, which I think is great for drums.

The voices (“bottle” and “hahaahhaaa!”) of “De La Soul” are taken from the “Headcrack’s HIP HOP SPOT” you linked above, with some LFO filters.

Finally I have used only one synth engine, the Phase, I love it :smiley: (with a bit of delay and LFO too)

Master effects : Equalizer, Reverb and my fingers…

I had a hard time to live record the track on the album…Made many versions, I have also deleted some of them by mistake lol…lots of headaches, and I finally choose this version. There’s some failures on it, but time is running out !

However, this battle was a great challenge ! And I really loved to work on it :slight_smile:
I hope this tune gonna make you dance !
I usually do not make this kind of music ^^

Good luck everybody

I managed to get some time this saturday night to put something together.

Been really busy lately and this is a real last-minute effort.
Don’t think the wife has been happy that I’ve sat with my OP-1 on my lap tonight.

https://soundcloud.com/spacetravelmadeeasy/nothing

Sampled
Grand Funk Railroad - Nothing is the Same
This was used for the main tune, there’s about five different loops that are shuffled to structure a song.
Grand Master Flash & The Furious Five - Flash To The Beat
Counting within the song
Alvin Cash & The Crawlers - Twine Time
The “ooh” “ahh” and “woooow” within the song

Only one synth sound in the song.

I had great intentions of throwing in some Public Enemy “Rebel Without A Pause” in there along with some Richard Pryor “Crap Game”, some other samples along with another synth layer but just ran out of time. It’s bedtime for me now!

Not my best bit of work but ho-hum, I’m not deleting it as it’s representative of about 5 hours of my life lol.

Look forward to listening to everyone elses entries.

I am really useless at this kind of music, always sounds so repetitive when I make a beat, but didn’t have time to go too off piste, but here goes:

Touch Melody by ghostly606 | Free Listening on SoundCloud

I decided to only go for tracks that were on my ipod which limited matters somewhat!

Beat is Description by DLS, chopped and looped. Added little variation by adding EQ and Spring via memory buttons
Eye Know by DLS, is pitched down and used throughout
The stabs and “uh” noises are both from Touch Me by the Doors
The french monologue is from Serge Gainsbourg - “En Melody” (cracking album btw)

There is a string synth buried in the mix somewhere, recorded it live and got my levels wrong. :S

Looking forward to hearing everyone’s tracks :slight_smile:

Grrrrr, how do I get a link on here?

EDIT - Sorry, worked it out.

Man, we have beautiful weather today, here in NY, for a Labor Day weekend barbecue. Just take a helpful tip from me.

Last year, I had the grill nice and blazing, just as my guests were arriving. I took out all the meat from the cooler and set it out on the table. I put the burgers and hot dogs on a platter, and placed them on the railing of the deck, but the real prize of the day was the stack of beautiful, thick organic Kobe beef steaks I had imported just for the occasion. Tragically, I placed the tray of steak on a lower table, near the grill, for them to achieve “room- temperature” before grilling.

Well beer was flowing, and the laughs came easy. I got distracted by the festivities, and my Pit Bull, Engelbert, scampered over and snatched away the platter of beautiful Kobe steaks I had so foolishly set down on that lower table, within his rapacious reach.

A sad loss, but this year I learned my lesson. When setting down food in preparation for a barbecue? Remember one simple thing;

Steaks Is High.

:confused:

Happy holiday, all.

considering the long weekend in the US, I’m ok to extend the deadline another day if anyone with eyes on the prize is making a last ditch effort on theirs. starting a voting thread Monday night.

props to all those who have entered already. astounding work!

Hello!

It´s our independence day here in Brazil, we got a long weekend (and I finished another beat for a live battle yesterday). If it´s possible Monday night, it´s the time I need to finish the beat :slight_smile:

My first battle!

https://soundcloud.com/le_samurai_black/maseo-gets-the-girls

Disclaimer: I had two days to do this so it's pretty rough.

I went out and dug some 45's for this. I only sample vinyl for beats, I make exceptions for Hip-Hop acapellas and instrumentals. All samples fall under the lists provided.

Everything was sampled and manipulated directly in the OP-1. No computers or external hardware effects were used. Got backups to prove it.

Sources:

James Brown - Get Up -> Me Myself and I/Say No Go (The Unity Mix)
Chic - Le Freak -> U Can Do (Life)
De La Soul - Stakes Is High [Acapella]
De La Soul - Itzsoweezee [Acapella]
The Doors - Touch Me -> My Brother's A Basehead
Aretha Franklin - Jump to It -> The Art of Getting Jumped
The Jackson 5 - Dancing Machine -> Bitties in the BK Lounge
The Jackson 5 - Never Can Say Goodbye -> No
Steely Dan - Peg -> Eye Know

Have You Ever - De La Soul Maseo Interview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr8LQm8KFiM&ab_channel=cherellechambers

A Tribe Called Quest - Can I Kick It? [Instrumental] -> Pease Porridge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6TdnuEinSA&ab_channel=h1ph0p1

In the Drum Sampler:
Stacks
Vinyl
Rhymes

In Synth:
Chord
Monster
FM
Dr. Wave
Fiddlin' and Improv

This was a really fun exercise and I learned so much about the device. The only limitations exist within your mind!

Good work and good luck to everyone!

SB
1-_-7
Well, that one was harder than I thought. Took me aeons of time to find a correct sample vibe - De La Soul is brighter than the kind of sounds that I´m digging right now. After literally weeks of sample digging and erases, I did a little cheesy beat, with a strong digital vibe and strings, a saxophone, lots of delay and reverb (Delay + Spring Reverb + CWO) and cheap love vocal samples. <3 As I was struggling for a local beatmaking battle (indeed, also helping to organize the fucking thing) and with a lot of work, didn´t make a particularly good work here (which is a shame, with that hardware prize!), but I´m happy that I managed to finish it.

The vocals are chopped from Lee Dorsey - The Greatest Love. The sax are sliced from Maceo Parker tune on the first De La Soul record. The drums are "Impeach the President", a classic hip hop break that DLS also sampled. Tried to bit crush the break with a Microgranny 2.0, but the result was too noisy to an already noisy beat, so I sampled the original again.

Beware: got LOTS of stereo details in that one, a headphone is recommended.

:)

https://soundcloud.com/aeoner/still