Battle 38 Voting

I’m voting for the entry by @Aahz . I very much liked the sound texture and the way it evokes a particular mood. Very organic use of panning as well.

Coupled with the tower thumbnail it strongly reminded me of a certain location in Fallout New Vegas. It would make a great SF soundtrack.

I’ll add more comments later.

All of these entries are great, such a mix of styles and ideas. Picking a winner is tough but I’m going for @gambler because I really like the pictures that track puts in my head!

Okay, voting will close in

3…

Oh my goodness, I have run out of time to vote - on hols with limited network. Really wanted to write a more detailed write up. I listened to the tracks a good number of times and there were so many good entries. I loved the guitar work on @vehka’s track, the masterful mix on @kln, @quarentequatre’s amazing tune, and so many others too. I’ll cast my vote now so that I don’t lose it, but really, the choice is very difficult as the standard was so high. My vote goes to @vehka!

Thanks for the kind comments on my track. I wasn’t totally enamoured with my own entry, but just glad to have submitted something. Thanks to @motone for the challenging brief. Looking forward to the next one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFufoOgCMW8

...and we have a winner! Congratulations @quarantequatre!

You may now set the rules for the next battle! :)

Thanks again and big respect to everybody who entered the Pancake challenge.

Congrats @quarantequatre! Looking forward to the next one. =)

Thanks @motone for organising a great battle!

And thanks for all the comments on my track. They inspire me to do more electro-acoustic stuff in the future for sure. =)

Thank you everybody, I’m very happy. I really enjoyed participating this battle, and making this track

without knowing where I was going. I’ve got many battle ideas, just have to choose one…or mixed rules :slight_smile:

@Spheric_El Thanks for your feedback and your vote. Voices are from Calendar Girl (for the girl) and JFK from NASA sounds (I’ve sampled the end of this speech JFK: Return Him Safely to Earth by NASA | Free Listening on SoundCloud).

The first OP-1 version is broken. First, I’ve sampled the forest field with the birds (via my H2N) directly on the track 1, then i’ve backrecorded this on track 2. Then, I’ve recorded some jew’s-harp and played with the synth sequencer to have this final rhythm (track 3 and 4).

After that, I’ve plugged my JU-06 on the op-1 and tried to create a nice patch, once I’ve found it iI wanted to record the lead directly on tape, and here I encountered merging issue. My 4 tracks were used by the birds and the jew’s harp. I’ve deleted the jew’s-harp from tape, I’ve made the 2 JU06 tracks (1:10, that’s exactly the birds sample length).

At this point I knew that I had something, I tried some OP-1 and VolcaB beats without recording it. That’s the moment I felt really frustrated, I had all samples, but the construction/mix was impossible for me on the op-1…and knowing that it was friday, and the battle ended sunday, I decided to transfer all this in my DAW.

Congrats @quarantequatre! Looking forward to the next one. =)

Thanks @motone for organising a great battle!

And thanks for all the comments on my track. They inspire me to do more electro-acoustic stuff in the future for sure. =)

x2

Except I know now that I have to incorporate more electric guitar in my tracks ^^

Well done and deserved @quarantequatre .It is an epic piece.

Thanks again @Spheric_El. I really like your track too, it reminds me some pleasant memories.
I’m wondering how to turn the next battle.
I’m gonna try to post the rules tomorrow :slight_smile:

Congratulations @quarantequatre! Great track

apologies for not responding in time for voting deadline, nor with feedback on tracks. been pulling late nights for work. was great to be able to listen to the playlist while I got on with my to-dos though! (even the few times I passed out listening from exhaustion, due to long work days followed by working really late nights)

really enjoyed all of the tracks and would still not confidentally say which one I like “best” since they all have merits. I’m quite pleased with the outcome though! congrats @quarantequatre

and thanks to @motone for the hosting and fun battle concept.

and finally thanks for the feedback on my entry to those that commented! I appreciate that, and wish I could reciprocate, but I’m afraid I’m even now falling behind on some other shit that is due, and that shit happens to pay me for doing it. ha!

looking forward to less busy times, and new battle ventures!

Good skills, @quarantequatre! Great track!

Can’t wait to hear the next battle brief :slight_smile:

@kln These are hard times…

I try not to forget that money can’t buy time, and lower my hours of work, but it’s still hard sometimes to find the time or enough mind for producing music…

I haven’t said it clearly, but @quarantequatre your track was really beautiful ! Glad you won !
Made me want to try to sing on my tracks, should be fun :smiley:
Can’t wait for your brief, l’ami !

@monotone this battle output was as great as your brief ! Thank you man for such a brilliant idea, I learned quite a few tricks from this, and above all I rediscovered the impact of stereo ! This helped me to balance the stereo on our last track with Tamaris.

Thanks for all the kind comments, wish I had written a line for every track… Congratulations everyone !!

You’re all a bunch of geniuses!! <3

Thank you very much guys :slight_smile:

Sorry I missed the voting. Wow, what a great set of tracks.

@quarantequatre that is a super track. Nicely done!