Battle 40 - Voting

hello folks. battle 40 voting time.

great tracks, great collaboration. hope it was fun for everyone!
please submit your vote!!

maybe this one could be a bit of a different voting structure…let’s say first track to get to 7 votes wins…fallback is whoever has the most votes by Friday June 10.

tracks eligible for voting:

@curdledgurled

https://soundcloud.com/alexandersteinitz/the-golden-rule

@josker

https://soundcloud.com/misnaps/sundry

@sammyjams

https://soundcloud.com/sammyjams/traveler-operator-1-battle-40

@vehka

https://soundcloud.com/vehka/austerous

@Edzilla

https://soundcloud.com/edzillamusic/provenced

@borden

https://soundcloud.com/mbordenj/time-travel-sickness

@mixrasta

https://soundcloud.com/mixrasta/sofa-horror

also...not eligible for voting (just shameless self-promotion):

kln
https://soundcloud.com/dj_kln/fresh-forty

It was close, but my vote goes to @mixrasta such a fun interesting track with unexpected twists around every corner! Honorable mention to @edzilla very cool! Great work all!

Thanks Sammy, much appreciated!

Love the funky groove so my vote goes to @Edzilla

Mixrasta! So fun.

Great tracks everybody. My favorites were @Edzilla and @mixrasta, and mixrasta gets my vote. The song had a great vibe, reminded me of 60s library music or something. Well done! Really enjoyed Edzilla’s beats too.

My vote goes to @vehka’s guitar driven track. You don’t see much of that around here!

Honorable mention to the last minute and a half of @Edzilla’s

Cheers @borden for the vote! =)

My vote for @josker. I like the dubby flow, feels like I’m travelling! All thru very good tracks! Thanks for the votes @vehka and @nortone81 (if thats a vote ; )
It was a very cool idea with the collaboration part @kln the battles always lead me somewhere, I never thought of…

My vote goes to @josker, love the atmosphere in the track. Though there are a lot of really good submissions, great job guys!

I’ve had the OP-1 for almost a year, but haven’t had a lot of time to play around because we had a baby last year. But I’m thinking I want to join the next battle, should have some time now in the summer!

@edzilla gets my vote. I got a lot of that Doom/Madlib vibe off of this one, cool stuff! :slight_smile: And @vehka would be my honorable mention, really like how the guitar samples finally came together. Great selection, it wasn’t easy at all!

Thanks for the votes guys, was a really happy surprise, made my day :slight_smile:

This battle was a really good example of how the OP-1 sounds.
It felt like a cohesion of sounds to me ,with excellent blends of beats and sub 120BPM ,with electronics and synths colliding in a unique way. @SammyJams exemplifies this and I thought this was a brilliant signature of your own style here.I loved it and on initial impact I was trying to decide between this and @Edzilla on first place. Both are really well arranged (in their own way) and mixed -I love fat drums. Infact @SammyJams the Drive setting and mix you have there is , well…Slammin.Also love that funky bass synth pattern and whole arrangement skills.
But after several listenings ,trying to decide, a few other ,more mellow tunes snuck into my consciousness.
@Vehka loving that style .Another head who’s style is really developed.This is a lovely tune. You mix strings and synth beautifully .Its sounding really complete. @Mixrasta -Fantastic cute beatness .You certainly can rock this OP-1 and I admire your arrangement skills on this device. This could sit on Ninja Tunes on their more glorious compilation days,or MoWax. Loving the cartoon space vibres (however you got them) and the melodies,harmonies and hooks. Again this tune is complete. @Borden This has that OP-1 sound I was talkin about and I love your washes of sound. Unfortunately the melody hook seriously reminds me of an 80s synth pop tube from UK. I cant remember which one, but this prejudiced my decision making and I couldn’t consider it for first place. Having said that its still a top tune,right up there with the rest and says more about how my mind works than your choice of harmonic. It is excellently arranged and has anthemic feel that tells stories and emotion. @curdledgurled hahaha well this is a little out my comfort zone but I have to say full marks for experimental distortion with OP-1! Also the vocal sample is nice and reminds me of Aphex Twin early 90s (This is high praise). Its a nice tune … in a hard core teckno sort of way :slight_smile:
@josker You got me.
I took this voting blind!
So as to say I didnt like being effected by expectations ,favoritism or prejudice that I’m sure we are all familiar with in everyday life. I had a bit of an idea who was In, but I avoided reading posts and kept opening this thread with my eyes half closed and my hand covering the left half of the screen. The odd name slipped through the net -@SammyJams- though I think I may of guessed from the style. I did guess @Edzilla (excellent tune btw) , but it was fun doing it this way. I wish all OP Battles were voted like this.
Anyway I’ve only just seen who is responsible for this tune .Well done @josker ,you get my first place.
Loved it. I think it was the percussive but harmonic sounds that tripped my switch. Especially that warble that comes on end of bar or beat 4.
Pure evidence that OP-1 really is the here and now.

Thank You to our host with the most @kln for top battle vibrations.
Brilliant tune. I’ve read all the tips on panning ,but this is still mystifying me how you get your drums like that. Obviously two tracks ,but the way the break wanders… its Fresh!
Sorry about the pun.
A slight tempo shift with faster double hihats than usual ,but this is a happy tune. Proper drum + bass ,in the literal sense.

I think my vote has to go to @edzilla, just for how good the outro of the song is, a great groove. I also liked @mixrasta 's mellow jungle style, and the pads in @josker s, I liked borden 's use of my stuff, and his flangey synth he had was real cool.

@Spheric_El - thanks for the comments. and you are correct that i used two hard-panned tracks. the effect is quite simple to create. here’s a quick summary:

1. use Step sequencer to program some drums
  2. set the drum kit to Nitro effect [3]
    • Nitro is effectively a lo and hi-pass filter with the Blue and Orange knobs, respectively.
  3. go to Tape and arm recording by holding the [Rec] Button down on Track 1 (fully panned L)
  4. play the sequence by tapping on Keyboard
  5. quickly tap [3] and tweak the parameters
  6. end Recording
  7. repeat the sequence on Track 2 (fully panned R)…but tweak the parameters differently

the effect i used was to slowly sweep in the filtered Drum sequence and then randomly modulate the filter manually…but you can apply this methodology to any sequence, using any of the modes 1-4, in either Synth or Drum. it can be especially fun to fiddle with LFOs.

Excellent @kln thanks a lot.

dear amazing OP-1 community,

deadline for voting is tomorrow!

for the dozens (maybe hundreds) of members of the forum...participation in the battle not required for voting, therefore....

YOU CAN ALL VOTE!!!!

please don't hesitate, and feel free to help procure judgement of these 7 great tracks made with your beloved device (why you joined the forum right!) these guys put in work on these tracks! please show your love, support and criticism (nicely)!

here's how the voting pool stands at the moment...!!!

mixrasta = 3

josker = 3

edzilla = 2

vehka = 1

One more last-minute work. Been too busy wrapping my head around the Octatrack these days. The submissions are all really cool. Wish I’d know how the participants have made certain things sounding that good on the op-1.

Anyways, my vote goes to @mixrasta for a great little journe into weird-hop land. Bravo!

My vote goes to @josker . Awesome piece.

Thumbs up @ all participants!

I find it very hard to come up with a favorite track, as they all bring something special in their own way… @Edzilla, I really like your intro, it’s very good !

@misnaps your sound is very appeasing, there are different moments in your song, it’s pretty cool as well.
@curdledgurled I really dig your intro as well, the weird voices bring a weird atmosphere that I really like. Not fond of the noise at 0:44, a bit too long for my taste, but I really like the harsh nature of the rest.
@vehka I really like what you come up with your guitar, it sounds beautifully !
@borden you were my close second for the dark videgame/film OST atmosphere of your track :slight_smile:
@kln your groove don’t grow old, hope you got a nice birthday for your forties mate :smiley:

I give my vote to @mixrasta because it’s the one that got stuck in my ear, but I really like all the tracks !!!
Congratulations everyone !!

Hello!

Amazing battle, with a really good and positive idea. Sharing is caring! Unfortunately (well, maybe fortunately:) I was on my vacation last month and didn´t managed to make a beat for this one, but I will vote tomorrow, as I need to hear the entries one more time to vote, as the level is really high! :slight_smile: