Battle 47: A Linguistic Approach to ˈmjuzɪk

Is someone working on it ? I’m not sure i’ll find the time … I will try today, it’s national music day here in France !

Awesome track @Zach_Lambert !

Here is my entry!

https://soundcloud.com/gentlemanhog/battle-47

ðə ˈləʊnlɪɪst ˈrəʊbɒt ɪn ðə ˈjuːnɪvɜːs

Thanks @Zach_Lambert for revealing the hidden sonic depths of my gob. :) I had fun recording stupid noises for an hour (with my cat looking at me weird) in order to get the drum sounds.

Making music with The Pink Trombone was a challenge but I lucked out I think.

Thanks to everyone on here who's posted tips about bouncing tracks around to beef up noises. I needed that help for this one.

Thanks again for a fun battle rules. :) Looking forward to hearing what others come up with!

This is my shit :slight_smile:

ʤʌst ˈpʌblɪʃ ɪt by Rudolph Rapid | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Omg. These tracks are just awesome, you crazy people! @Gentlemanhog: great vibes and really amazing drums on your track!

@rudolphrapid That is ACE! I think you and @Zach_Lambert have invented the new genre of trombtune. :slight_smile:

@gentlemenhog I can second @Zach_Lambert’s take on your drum sounds, well arranged tones. The mood of the whole track is also very crazy :slight_smile: Congrat.

Thanks! :smiley: I could share the drum kit if you want - it has more sounds in it than I put on the track. I don’t know the best way to do that, though, as not shared one before.

I too haven’t started yet but I’ll see If I can come up with something…

@gentlemanhog you could just share the patch on op.fun

@gentlemanhog you could just share the patch on op.fun

Done! https://op1.fun/users/gentlemanhog/patches/pink_bone_two

ahhhh I’ve run out of time for this one, been a busy month. some cool entries though!

I’m bummed, didn’t have time for this!

I’ve started sampling & mangling. I doubt I can finish tomorrow.

Ok. How about a new deadline? Two entries are not enough anyways! :slight_smile:

Would one week suffice? New deadline is July 9th! Go for it, buddies! Wanna hear moaaar!!!

Not an entry, but maybe working towards one… this was just for fun - all PT solo w some looping stuff underneath https://scy1e.bandcamp.com/track/dod-uzr

@Zach_Lambert Great, thanks for the extension.

No problem, @motone!

Awesome, weird tunes, @scy1e!!!

@gentlemanhog nicely done! Definite Boards of Canada vibe

Didn’t think I’d make this one! But here ya go:

https://soundcloud.com/mlbstrd/10-mljn-rad

My two main goals with this was: integrate my vocals a little better than I have in the past, and try and get some real thump in the low end of the kick.
There’s a few glitches here and there as I was a bit trigger happy on the tape tricks, but liked the vibe of this take to Album.

Workflow breakdown:
- started with the initial “bassline” loop that was direct from the pink trombone with “pitch wobble on” - kind of sounded like a SH101 bassline with the glide right up? Sampled this into Synth Sampler
- Kit was then beat-boxed via a SM58>Pre73>OP1, then chopped up (took a few goes, I’m not a great beatboxer). Key here was to saturate the input a bit to grit it up. Used the cycle mode to create the hat rolls (I like this trick). Once I created the pattern, I re-sampled it to itself (using Ear with other tracks muted) to give it extra drive.
- I resampled part of the bassline with a tape speed of -12 into the synth sampler, tweaked the envelope to function as my psuedo-808 sound when the low end kicks in. added nitro with resonance and tweaked the freqs to find the core bass
- melodic synths (panned) were sampled into the Synth Sampler from another random snippet of pink trombone, with a tight loop brace to create the buzziness. Pitched them down for the “bridge” section (“ten million” part)
- Vox were added all the way thru using SM7>Pre73>DBX160>RE20>OP1 - overkill TBH, could easily have just used the built-in mic. That said, the vox hit pretty hard and I liked the way they saturated into the OP, so I pushed the vox a bit here and there
- Pink Trombone solo happens in the outro - was actually way easier than I thought! I got too into it though and forgot I left the end part of the vocal looped in the next brace, so it plays over the top. ah well…
- everything was arranged using a combo of shift+lift/drop, resampling, then live passing some mutes/solos, and tape tricks to album.

this was fun!