Battle 82: A Little Dirt Is Good For You

Still working on mine, but I’ll have it in by 8/7 deadline. I was able to figure out a way to get all the dirt I want/need from my OG-1 (max drive/min release + maxed mixers + tremolo), but need to put some more time into it for sure. Life has been busy as of late and I haven’t had much time to work on it this week but I’ll be making some time today & tomorrow. Stay tuned.

2 Likes

Sampled my little DIY Chaos NAND by Syntech into an Electro Harmonix Soul Food, the rest is just pushing the hell out of some of the presets and all that.

This song represents me getting to know the OP-1, and its pretty sloppy but i kinda like it that way. Hope you like it!

this is the first time ive publicly shared a song ive created, and that was one of my goals for this year, so it feels really good to just get this out there haha.gotta start somewhere!

4 Likes

This song was a vibe, my dude

2 Likes

Without further ado, here’s my entry!
100% done on OG-1 & OP-1 Field

3 Likes

Alright! I’m gonna close the battle tomorrow at midnight just in case we have some last-minute entries. Thanks everyone.

3 Likes

Before midnight in my timezone. :slight_smile:

Bedsides the obvious drive boost effect I’ve used the crank compression trick on drums* and the screechy pad. No external gear due to me procrastinating and hot having any time for post-processing (or mastering for that matter).

• Overdriving drums with Crank LFO works remarkably well. Pity you can’t properly save the position of the crank as a setting.
4 Likes

did you use an OG, or field making this? nice entry, btw.

deep beginning. I’d say worth the wait for this track.

2 Likes

I hope you continue to get to know the OP1. liking what you do with it, no matter how sloppy it might get, has been my approach. thanks for sharing this work! keep sharing, please.

2 Likes

Thank you very much!

Thank you! :grin: I’m rather proud of this one, but feel like the mix is a bit off (the vocal samples being a bit too front and center with the rest kinda taking a back seat) but depending on what you listen to it on it sounds just as I intended.

1 Like

OG in all its glory.

Things I’ve learned:

I knew about Crank LFO “overdrive” feature for many years, but never tried it on drums. Works really well on Acetate kit.

Also, you can make almost anything behave like the hidden Iter synth using this trick. Just apply the LFO to a polyphonic sound with long tail. I just haven’t figured out a melodic way to use this yet.

1 Like

I am not aware of this. I know about using it with Endless to drone, but what’s the overdrive about?

Also, my submission features an Iter patch :wink:

the previous owner had iter on there with a few other fun samples that made the cut after I had to reset it, mostly drum breaks and a few OoT samples

1 Like

It was mentioned by @rocksoul. You apply Crank LFO to a patch, then turn the last 3 knobs all the way clockwise. This merely makes the sound louder, but if you dial in the first (red) knob, it will start bumping into some limit(er?) and will overdrive the sound in various ways. I’m not sure this will work the same on Field, because it relies on aliasing (which you can clearly hear by tuning envelope’s hold level a bit - the sound will change dramatically).

2 Likes

When is this battle gonna be voted on? This was my first battle and I’m already excited for the next one, ha

4 Likes

It’s not about the vote, but the things you learned along the way :smiley:

2 Likes

from what I have learned. this battle hasn’t yet ended. I’ve made some pretty dirty noises. but if there is still a chance.

awards eligible?

Since this is my first one I too am excited/antsy for the voting to commence.

It’s been almost two weeks, I hope @joeyfivecents is doing alright.

1 Like

Yes. Got caught up at work and all kinds of crazy stuff (new roof, new refrigerator, adulting). I will put a poll and playlist together tonight and we can start voting. Sorry for the delay. Didn’t mean to ghost everyone.

5 Likes

Glad to hear you’re healthy and alive!
Life do be like that sometimes, I totally understand.

2 Likes