Build Quality on Arrival

Hey guys! Long-time lurker, first-time poster.

Got my brand-new OP-1 yesterday, and there no performance errors, dead pixels, broken knobs or keys or signs of speaker death.

I am a little upset, though, by the fact that it arrived with dust (or glue or debris) under the screen glass, along the ‘lip’ that surrounds the screen. It also has several of the fixed plastic parts (like the square bases of the encoders) noticeably crooked, and the perforated speaker cover is slightly loose. It also had a fair amount of black dusty grit on it, under the clear overlay sheet and inside the paper-foam case.

I feel like for 1200 bucks (Canadian dollars) it should arrive at least in top shape externally (reasonable internal failure rate is outside TE and any company’s control). Like, was there no visual quality spot check done? I also feel like some of my keys are less white than others, like their older keys mixed in with newer keys.

TL;DR - as a machine that makes music, I love it. As a borderline-luxury product I’m really disappointed in the quality control and finishing.

Do you think should swap it for a nicer unit, or do you think these reasons wouldn’t qualify me for a return?

Thanks!

Welcome! Definitely get a new unit, that is totally unacceptable.

Did you order from TE, or a reseller? Almost sounds like a used unit shoved into a new box.

That’s jacked. I’d get another one

Get another one!

send that shit back!

Thanks guys - I’m really considering it.

Honestly, it seems like everybody who gets a new OP-1 has something wrong with it. Do you forum veterans noticing a pattern of people coming on and being like “Hey my brand new OP-1 is messed up in XYZ way…” ?

So I’m hesitant, because I could probably live with these cosmetic issues, and would rather them than get a new one and have it not work, or be super glitchy.

Anyway, thanks for letting me know my experience, in terms of build quality on arrival, is not normal!! This is a super supportive group; I’m looking forward to making a lot of non-complaining posts going forward, hehe.

Mine was in perfect condition all around. I would definitely exchange it if I were you. I think the black grit that you describe is tiny bits of the paper foam box.

Thanks guys - I'm really considering it.

Honestly, it seems like everybody who gets a new OP-1 has something wrong with it. Do you forum veterans noticing a pattern of people coming on and being like "Hey my brand new OP-1 is messed up in XYZ way..." ?

So I'm hesitant, because I could probably live with these cosmetic issues, and would rather them than get a new one and have it not work, or be super glitchy.

Anyway, thanks for letting me know my experience, in terms of build quality on arrival, is not normal!! This is a super supportive group; I'm looking forward to making a lot of non-complaining posts going forward, hehe.

No, just people who got device without problems usually wouldn’t report about it.

Mine arrived a few days ago cosmetically fine. Volume knob feels wobbly and loose like something cheap from a volca. Dunno why they scrimped on that knob compared to the others. Besides that it’s solid. I wouldn’t say any of the knobs feel great tho really. But they’re ‘ok’. Mine is getting returned cos it randomly switches patches or activates sequencer while I’m playing keys. Some other users have same problem. Also very noticeable noise in headphones when crank the volume but I think this is normal and apparently depends on your headphones?!? Seems much quieter when I connect to interface. Overall not super impressed by the build and software, for the money it cost. But at the same time I really like the creative side of using it so it’s kind of a toss up. Hoping a new unit without the glitches will make me forget about the initial problems/disappointment.

OP - can you post the serisl number please? It might give some indication as to whether it’s a brand new unit or otherwise.

CB

My volume pot is wobbly. I’ve had mine since launch. Their are a variety of reasons they chose what you consider a wobbly pot. It might have had better tolerances etc. Usually it’s alpha vs bourns. Alpha are very tight but have a very straightforward arc. Bourns wobble like crazy but for certain application may be perfect. The volume control is very effective on the op1. I bet it’s a bourns. Lots of manufacturers use those wobbly pots on purpose. Just my 2cents from the DIY community.

OK cool, that makes sense if that’s the reason for it. It does feel nice and smooth in terms of response. Not sure I’d ever notice the difference in functionality between it and a more solid knob though.

its just personnal preference. Ive seen plenty of synths coated in wobbly knobs. lol.

Even if not bought from TE directly, it could be useful to report these things to TE and give them the serial number of the unit. It could be anything from just dumb luck to sketchy resellers or even the factory sneakily lowering their quality control to cut costs and pocket the difference.

Even if not bought from TE directly, it could be useful to report these things to TE and give them the serial number of the unit. It could be anything from just dumb luck to sketchy resellers or even the factory sneakily lowering their quality control to cut costs and pocket the difference.

^ Wise man speaking

My serial number is 020140, I’m pretty sure it’s a new unit. The re-seller is the only one in Canada and they’ve got a good rep, so I’m not concerned about a used unit passed off as an old one.

Send it back definitely. It’s too expensive to over look these sorts of things. Especially when attention for detail is part of the package.

Echoing the above - send it back, report to TE as @KrisM says. Don’t let this put you off in any way - this is not normal to have a unit like the one you describe.

Hey, I bought an OP1 in Canada a few months ago and it’s in excellent shape. The only thing I noticed is the volume knob being loose but after reading this thread it seems to be normal?

Anyway, if your new unit isn’t up to par I would send it back!
Good luck