charging battery question

hello forum members,

I have a question related to battery charging of OP-1. How you guys are charging/discharging your unit. Are you waiting till the device stops working (fully discharged) or it is not recommended as this is a Li-Ion battery? Since OP-1 is shipped only with USB cable and not with USB charger my next question is are you using your mobile phone`s USB charger ? Mine is Lenovo 5,2 V and it should work fine I think…

Any recommendations are welcome - thanks in advance.

I use a phone charger or the computer, it’s OK.

Sometimes the meter is not totally liable, but I learned to not care much :wink:

I read somewhere that it’s preferable to not totally discharge the device. Only interest to this is recalibrate the gauge.

Unlike NiCad batteries, lithium-ion batteries do not have a charge memory. That means deep-discharge cycles are not required. In fact, it’s better for the battery to use partial-discharge cycles.
There is one exception. Battery experts suggest that after 30 charges, you should allow lithium-ion batteries to almost completely discharge. Continuous partial discharges create a condition called digital memory, decreasing the accuracy of the device’s power gauge. So let the battery discharge to the cut-off point and then recharge. The power gauge will be recalibrated.

hey, LyingDalai, thank you so much for the answer. :slight_smile:

Just want to chip in and say that I had a cheapo USB wall adapter and it was confusing the battery meter and not supplying a full charge. Some are better than others, iPad one is known to work.

A related question - I’ve just been tooling around with my brand new OP-1 for several hours w/o charging it yet. Just started reading the manual and the second thing it says is to fully charge before first use. :confused: Is this something I should be worried about, i.e. have I permanently hobbled its battery life length, or can I let this one slide?

A related question - I’ve just been tooling around with my brand new OP-1 for several hours w/o charging it yet. Just started reading the manual and the second thing it says is to fully charge before first use. :confused: Is this something I should be worried about, i.e. have I permanently hobbled its battery life length, or can I let this one slide?

no problem - I think they only say that in-case the battery is close to fully discharged, as the worst thing to do to LiON batteries is to fully discharge them, so as long as you haven’t run it completely down just charge it now and all will be OK

Just want to chip in and say that I had a cheapo USB wall adapter and it was confusing the battery meter and not supplying a full charge. Some are better than others, iPad one is known to work.

thanx