Come to the Dark Side

WoW!!! Thanks again everyone!

I really dig the vibe and the sounds you used. I do feel like some parts were building to something that never got there. Maybe that’s your intention? Solid work though!

Sorry missed the “mention” cause you made a mistake on my “name” XD.

About your track I really love the bass and the wooble just coming next. Your clap is violently brilliant (or brilliantly violent) :slight_smile:
2:03 > 2:34 part reminds me some oldschool Thunderdome tracks !
I’ve got the same suggestion as @Virtual_Flannel said, about having less claps, and maybe something more drum minimal.

Finally, this track makes me think you were pretty upset :p.
Good work, that’s original for sure ! (I’m not an expert about this style of music)

@sammyjams thanks bro. I appreciate your comments and thoughts.

@quarantequatre wow! There’s a lot to read there. Hahaha I wasn’t upset, it’s just that style of music. Or maybe I’m happily evil? Haha I agree with drums :wink:

@telengard sorry I missed you bro, thanks for the comment. I’ve never listened to the genre you mentioned. I love the sinister, dark, and somewhat scariness for music. It’s seems to charge me with a buzz like oldskool ‘Wham!’ bars to the tongue.

So, it’s been a month and I listened to it again.
Overall, if I was to pay it another visit then I would follow exactly what @aswefallintostatic to a tee. Great mixing and mastering advice pal. Thank you.

I would also make the drum/perc FX even more minimal like @Virtual_Flannel and some other people said. Thank you.

Some of you wondered what Grime is. Well, I made and mixed this one last week and to me it is straight Grime. 110% GRIME.

Lend me your ears mon frére’s and check it out… any advice would be duly welcomed.

https://m.soundcloud.com/hismostdarxxxellent/darxxxenius

HMD

the original track is pretty off the charts nuts man… like horrorcore or something.

puts me in mind of: https://alight.bandcamp.com/releases

i think the arrangment is what’s holding it back, but i still really like it.

darxxxenius – proper grimey. some epic and haunting noise and cool rhythmic passages.

@speckdrum
Thanks man! Yeah, it is what it is. I have often wondered about arrangements and things of that nature and I’m slowly starting to realize the expectation and closure is what helps songs become more accepted to a wider audience; however, I think the arrangement for this particular track mirrors its nastiness. Hehe

I’ll check the band camp suggestion, thanks.

I was happy because this one only took me a week and it didn’t really need any additional mastering that I was able to do. Although it is a new area for me so I’m sure there could be millions of things to give it an extra push.

Thanks for your feedback matey :wink:

These are great songs. Love me some nastiness! Contrary to other opinions I like lots of percussion and was hoping on Darxxxide that some hats came in aft one of the drops. Structure-wise I like them as well. My old drummer and I used to infuriate the rst of the band by writing with odd structures. Mostly linear, with little repitition so I get that in these! Loo forward to more :slight_smile:

@HisMostDarxxxellent - You’re welcome man, glad it was interesting! :slight_smile:

nice to see someone on here talking about grime & uk garage. def has a dirty sound, as if the samples were processed by vintage samplers, similar to mumdance. I honestly think this spectrum of grime benefits from songs being a little more brisk, because they’re usually made to be played in clubs. so maybe getting to the percussion sooner would be helpful. it’s texturally abrasive but sounds like a banger - like night slugs meets triangle records. definitely grime by design though, because if this were coming through a club system it would sound great. in my opinion that’s what it really comes down to in the end.

nice to see someone on here talking about grime & uk garage. def has a dirty sound, as if the samples were processed by vintage samplers, similar to mumdance. I honestly think this spectrum of grime benefits from songs being a little more brisk, because they're usually made to be played in clubs. so maybe getting to the percussion sooner would be helpful. it's texturally abrasive but sounds like a banger - like night slugs meets triangle records. definitely grime by design though, because if this were coming through a club system it would sound great. in my opinion that's what it really comes down to in the end.

Hey buddy!

Thanks a bunch for your critique here, I’ve been meaning to reply. I’m a massive fan of Mumdance so thanks for that - he will be spinning alongside Pinch in Tokyo on the 20th of this month and I can hardly contain myself. A friend said I should hand him a CD with my stuff on, but I’m not sure. Talking about my friend you should check out one of his tracks. It’s called ‘Sister’ and his name is Asusu. It’s my favourite of his tracks. Garage banger!

You’re right about the club system thing. I played my first DJ gig as Philo Krynx and I had the biggest response of the night when I played this tune - a group of people gathered around me at the decks loving the vibe. It was amazing to see!