Custom Firmware on the OP-1

I have downloaded the currently available OP-1 Field firmwares and will try to make a repo for them at some point. I’d love to know more about how the new firmware is built but haven’t had time to investigate yet :confused:

1 Like

Thanks! I think the firmware repo is important and useful not only for reverse engineering, but also simply as a resource for users.

1 Like

It’s live :slight_smile: GitHub - op1hacks/op1-field-fw-archive: An archive of OP-1 Field firmware versions
If any versions are missing let me know. It currently just has the 3 versions that are publicly available on the TE website.

4 Likes

Maybe you could just recolor the .svgs if you like the color scheme? Swapping the UI is possible but from what I understand it’s a process.

Getting a new op-1. Can the iter + filter be run without custom firmware? I saw a youtube video that theirs a patch available you can just unlock them. (OP-1 TOP SECRET Synth + Filter - YouTube)

1 Like

Yes, I have them on # 243

just to add a lil clarification

the patches allow u to use them but u always have to initiate thru those patches
they are not available thru the menus
which is sometimes not as convenient but not all that bad

the custom firmware (which is stupid easy to do using the firmware repacker tool)
unlocks them in the menus like any other engine or fx

it is understandable to be hesitant to do the custom firmware
it can sound scary
but its pretty fool proof now

3 Likes

I have an older op-1 that has not been working for a while. I just wondered if any of the tools in this thread would assist in repair. it has firmware 13585 with TE-BOOT 1.35. The error is can’t open /yaffs2content/tape.db.

I have seen this error reported elsewhere and it doesn’t look promising. but just curious, maybe people in here seem to know more about how the boot process actually works. is it worth looking hacking about with the scripts and info in GitHub links such as Tolsi/op1dumps or is this just a waste of time, and it’s a hardware flash issue?

thanks

2 Likes

hardware flash issue

:cucumber:

1 Like

I don’t know if it will make a difference but have you tried running a factory reset?

Looks like they adopted the firmware format of the OP-Z, which is AFAIK encrypted.

Hi @wavi, please merge my PR adding the latest OP-1 field firmware versions.

1 Like

Done :slight_smile:

Hey guys! New here, as of today… Receiving my OP-1 tomorrow in the mail. I’ve got my firmware ready to go, features on. Question, is there anybody who has been making the svg’s lately? The only download link to the ones made no longer works. I work with SVG files everyday all day and was wondering the do’s and dont’s your finding in designing new ones. Also has there been any luck into finding the game files for the helicopter game? I’m curious in swapping out and maybe modifying them. REALLY great read here, i spent a good time catching up last few days. Yall are amazing. I have to tap into any type of electronic i own as well. Actually started messing with my 2023 Hyundai Tucson Infotainment unit the other day. Anywho If anyone knows where a good link would be for those files and maybe a collection or maybe a designer, would love to talk. By the way i use Lightburn for SVG work if that helps anyone, its a laser software but universal for stuff like this.

I repeatedly stated in this thread, that I will not publish any SVG files verbatim because I treat those as intellectual property of TE.
The repacker tool from @wavi also only patches or replaces the SVGs with fully custom ones.
So if you want to play, just do it. There is not much to break honestly. Just fiddle around and let the rest here know what you found.

The helicopter game relies also on one big SVG file in the firmware.
It is unclear if parts of the game logic (e.g. collision detection) rely on the actual graphics (i.e. the SVG paths) or if that is all hardcoded.
Please also play around and report your findings here.
First step might be to bend some of the borders of the level and check if the heli crashes if you fly against the new ones.

2 Likes

Hi, if anyone has the latest version of op1repacker installed and running on m1 Mac, could they let me know what version of python they’re using? Thanks

3.9 installed via Homebrew.

Hope it helps.

1 Like

thanks, yep got it working now (on python 3.10.0 installed via homebrew). had a bunch of issues yesterday when trying to use the default version of python (3.7.4 from memory)

Hi guys. Is op1repacker working on the last firmware for op-1 #245?
I mean the repacked #245 firmware with the mods will work or just #235 so far?

I have just did it for #245 and it is working great so far. Now I am trying to hack some custom svgs :slight_smile:

1 Like