Deactivate overdub after one loop

Hey,

I would like to record a perfect loop from one of the Sequenzer…
For example:
I set up a 4bar loop.
Now i can start 100% on point by pressing shift + rec
So the tape ‚waits‘ for me to press a key…
—> the Sequenzer starts with the recording of tape.
After one cycle of my loop it instand overdubs…
For a perfect loop I have to lift the key on the last milsec otherwise it overdubs and it records the same stuff over the first part of the loop which e da up in phasing etc…

Is there a way to have the overdub deactivated?

Thank you!

I turn the loop off and then chop it at the end marker :man_shrugging:

I know I was very frustrated by this lol

2 Likes

Thanks for the answer.
This is the way I do it now too, but I couldn’t imagine that there isn’t an other way.
After the first 3 days I’m a bit surprised about this unit.
I’m an experienced musician, the operation of the unit is no problem since it’s not a ‚deep’ device… and I knew before about the tape workflow.
I like the sound of the synths and playing around with the ‚eurorackish‘ sequencers…
But there is so many basic stuff missing… very frustrating instead of having fun.

There is no other way. Its a tape emulator - what did you expect? A DAW? Use a laptop

1 Like

You’re 100% right with this, nobody forced me to buy.

It’s just unwieldy and that a digital device renounce a lot of creative potential or skip even undo🤓

Perhaps I’m going just to use it as an external sound device or as an external midi sequencer and skip for now the tape unit…

Or I return it to the dealer… or I play just a bit around and perhaps like it in the future…

Thanks for the answers!

1 Like

They don’t seem to get it huh? People here think we want a DAW. We just want simple QOL updates so certain things are less frustrating.

3 Likes

au contraire…the op1 is a very deep device that lends itself to great creativity.
but, it’s going to take more than three days to discover that, so we’ll let you off easy this time…

it’s easy to to stop overdubbing on tape loops with sequencers:
1/ in endless sequencer, add blank steps at the end of your sequence.
2/ in finger sequencer, make a second sequence with no notes playing. set sequence to replace mode (shift orange ). when first sequence is running, press on the second sequence, it will start at the end of the first sequence.

3 Likes

No… you are literally asking for the workflow to be changed. The fact OP1 has no undo and you need to actually think about what you are doing before committing to tape is a feature. It makes you more creative and less lazy

I didn’t ask for an undo but anyways you better sell your op1f when new updates come cause it’s gonna change the workflow. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

First: If you are all happy with this, you are right.

It just doesn’t work for me and I think we have substantial different concepts of being creative,
or what’s a ‘deep machine’ etc… that’s 100% fine.
I just have not the right mindset.

For me its just hard to get that a missing feature like undo should shrink my creativity because I have to overthink what I’m doing… but as I said its fine, if the company sells this at this price tag it seems that’s a lot of people exactly looking for a device like that.

Im going to return it to the dealer and be thankful for this experience…

squiddly: that’s not what I mean, if you’re listening more ore less carefully with every loop it adds the tape noise on top…

Blockquote it’s easy to to stop overdubbing on tape loops with sequencers:
1/ in endless sequencer, add blank steps at the end of your sequence.
2/ in finger sequencer, make a second sequence with no notes playing. set sequence to replace mode (shift orange ). when first sequence is running, press on the second sequence, it will start at the end of the first sequence.

Have fun !

2 Likes

Updates don’t change the basic workflow or the concept of a machine - never have

But it can improve it and it has. I don’t even care about an undo. I just hope they add it just for you.

1 Like

yall know about the lift + drop undo thing right?

3 Likes

Is there some reason they couldn’t add undo (maybe there is a technical reason)? This is a pretty common criticism of the OP-1. If they added it would you be upset? It’s not like you would be forced to use it. I would love undo if it is possible for them to add.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure it is just a design philosophy thing, like emulating real tape splicing.

I think more than an undo feature it would be better to have more tracks so you don’t have to stack them all on 4. It’s stereo tracks and they could allow you to have 2 mono tracks for every stereo. Then you wouldn’t need an undo button.

or just turn loop off when you record your track, record through and just chop off the recording at the end point. your start/end points are remembered even when temporarily disabling loop. for me its a non-issue. i do agree though that an undo would be handy

Terminating overdub after one loop is a perfectly reasonable feature to ask. TE could bind it to shift + out when setting loop end marker. Make the terminal marker look slightly different when this is enabled. Would be pretty useful.

4 Likes