Defragmenting when transferring new / backed up tape to op1

Hey yo,

Every time I change the tape by transferring, I get a defrag… It takes a while… Haven’t timed it yet, but I’m estimating 3-5 minutes…

Just wondering if everyone gets this? Any way to skip it or something?

#ihavenopatience #adhd #firstworldproblems

Further to this, I just did it for the 2nd time in an hour, and it didn’t defrag…

Took like 10 seconds or less.

So I was completely wrong, and shall be walking main street on Wednesday to be pelted with feces and shame.

I wonder what the conditions are for when the disk does and does not defrag…

Two of my #hashtags above actually worked…

So, you can hashtag on our forum now.

Kinda dig that…

Looks like there’s a character limit…

15 characters? #1234567890123456

Or 16 characters? #12345678901234567

Maybe it’s only 2 tags per thread…

#weird

OK, I’m out, back to OP1

Just incase you were wondering.

there’s no way to skip it, i’m afraid. there are chunks at the end of those wave (aif) files that may not even be present (or current firmware version). I expect it does some alignment so that they’re always at specific places, and are large enough, etc.

Ok, It defragged this time… Not sure what the conditions are, but if there is a way I can do it that means it won’t defrag that would be rad… Maybe if you don’t replace the folder, but just the tape files.

there's no way to skip it, i'm afraid. there are chunks at the end of those wave (aif) files that may not even be present (or current firmware version). I expect it does some alignment so that they're always at specific places, and are large enough, etc.

Thanks man.

But at least one time today, it didn’t defrag…

hey @ludicrouSpeed I just transferred some old saved tapes for a remix and got the defrag too! This is the first time I’ve actually transferred tapes from backup - is it the default operation? Doesn’t bother me too much

hey @ludicrouSpeed I just transferred some old saved tapes for a remix and got the defrag too! This is the first time I've actually transferred tapes from backup - is it the default operation? Doesn't bother me too much

I noticed at least one time it didn’t defrag… It was not long after the previous defrag tho…

I’m not 100% about it yet. Probably either a) There is a timer after the defrag providing a grace period so you don’t defrag every 5 minutes if you’re doing a lot of backing up… Orrrrr b) maybe if you drag the files and not the folder, or eject the drive in a specific way… ie. press op1 mode on op-1 vs eject on the mac…

I don’t mind, it’s just a pretty long process… I’m working on my first full OP-1 track completely recorded on the OP-1 so I’ve come to far to not have a backup… It’ll be out probably on the 4th of Feb… Maybe sooner… It’s “finished” already.