Elektron Digitone

@Gambler
https://www.elektronauts.com/t/p-locking-the-arpeggiator/912

Ah, thanks. I didn’t know OT had this option. On A4 I manually enable/disable/trigger arp on running sequences all the time. Combining this with parameter-locked conditionally-triggered steps would be an immensely powerful option for complex rhythms. Also, high-frequency arps can be used to reshape the sound into faux-polyphony (a-la chiptune), which is also something I want to P-lock.

I think I already asked for this on the A4 forum some years ago. Maybe I should do it again.

Echo that about the Cuckoo interview - great and really got Simon talking. This is hard to resist for me as I’ve got a soft spot for FM and the way it’s been implemented in Digitone is really clever IMHO. I see the influence of OP-1 in so many products and see it here in the way the interface enables the user to get something going really quickly with “friendly FM” :slight_smile:

i sold my digitakt, but think i will buy this.

Yeah it’s a killer feature, I used it with the OT midi sequencer all the time. The new machines tuck the arp menu away inside a submenu so it’s unlikely that this feature will ever be added.

Probably my favorite NAMM picture I took all weeked was as Sonicstate awarded the Digitone "Best in Show" and Cenk as "Best Presenter" --Gaz Williams just couldn't hold back his excitement. The best part of NAMM is meeting all those awesome people who spend so much of their lives creating stuff so we can make music. [source]

I wonder how long it took Cenk to unstick himself from Gaz “the human velcro” Williams.

kind of gassing for this even though i keep telling myself i don’t need it…would look so nice next to my Digitakt

Fantastic picture! :slight_smile:

I have resisted so far but temptation is so high for the Digitone !
I don’t really need other synths but I don’t have any Elektron machines… and seeing all these operators with Elektrons, makes me want to join this universe !

I managed to get one of the Elektron-direct orders in before they sold out. Hopefully will have it soon. I very impulsively bought this. It has me thinking, too, that it might be time for a big gear purge and make my setup be primarily Elektron. I probably would not have made my two recent acquisitions (Organelle, Modor NF-1m) if I had known this was coming.

I have a £50 voucher stashed for Guitar Guitar and very tempted to throw it at a DN pre-order.

Only concern’s how much new mileage I’m gonna get out of it. Not a big synth drums guy so it’d basically be a wonky BOC box for me. Til now I’ve been stoked on my current options for those sounds. Easily comparable to the DN demos that caught my ear. But p-locks with the DN macro style system and the DN drive and filter might be enough to take me to significant new places… And the streamlined ui/workflow is a pretty big deal.

But then I think how I could grab a 2nd used OT mki for a little extra £ and dedicate the midi channels and some thru/neighbour tracks on that to my op1 + iPad and leave that permanently rigged up :confused: And kinda get a free OT thrown in on top. Difficult to weigh it all up without having a play on one and get a feel for the sound design onboard the DN. If I planned to perform with it it’d probably be a no-brainer but it would be primarily a studio purchase.

Just came in to a small inheritance and doubt I’d be able to cop anything else this year. And that empress box is calling me…and the behringer neutron looks like it’d team up pretty sweet with my Dominion 1… Namm season has fried the Gas compartment of my brain this year :confused:

Yeah, Neutron, Empress ZOIA, Pocket Operators, Digitone… I’m happy so diverse gear is dropping.

Feels like we’re about to see a new era where analog is used only for what it’s good at, while digital takes more and more room.
I’m so happy to see this, these are good times :slight_smile:

digitone looks wild, and definitely something I’d enjoy.

But myself, I’d really be looking for the over-the-top full-on FM synth editing, not the distilled, more intuitive approach here. Whats-his-name from Elektron has it right, 4 operators is just the right number to let you really still comprehend what you’re doing when designing for FM.

Really dig my TX81Z, and would totally dig something like that but with a few knobs to make it less of a pain to edit…
Yeah, Neutron, Empress ZOIA, Pocket Operators, Digitone... I'm happy so diverse gear is dropping.
Feels like we're about to see a new era where analog is used only for what it's good at, while digital takes more and more room.
I'm so happy to see this, these are good times :)
I love analogue as much as the next guy, but digital has always been more exciting. It would be rad if Moog released a HW Animoog with sdcard wavetable loading..

@beefinator PreenFM2 is a very complete synth, if you’re into 6 operators.

Best used with a controller, for sure. 4 part multitimbral, 8 parameters envelopes (ADSR with the levels for each part), LFOs…
Very complete.
Bonus : it’s easy to assemble yourself, and cost only 200€.

I sold mine only because I wanted a box with way more knobs, but one day I’ll get another one, for sure. :smiley:

Yeah, Neutron, Empress ZOIA, Pocket Operators, Digitone... I'm happy so diverse gear is dropping.
Feels like we're about to see a new era where analog is used only for what it's good at, while digital takes more and more room.
I'm so happy to see this, these are good times :)
I love analogue as much as the next guy, but digital has always been more exciting. It would be rad if Moog released a HW Animoog with sdcard wavetable loading..

Animoog and/or ppg infinite would both be dope HW boxes! Using both those apps almost every day the past 6+ months.

Still drawn to classic Moog and Oberheim analog tones but feel pretty covered for those and other analog sounds between my current HW & SW. And keeping an eye on behringer :wink:

Feel the same way about digital and FM too tbh, especially since digging in to VCV rack and Arturia Easel…Neither of which sound fully ‘analog’ but interesting nonetheless. but the elektron ‘way’ usually leads to fast fun/interesting stuff so DN’s tempting.

Wish they’d mix things up a bit though. Can’t help but feel they play it quite safe these days. Some digital/sample/granular/multifx hybrid big box or something would be interesting and closer to what I’d have expected them releasing around now considering OT/MM are many years ago…I guess like a crazy beefed up op1 where you could layer and/or modulate between different sound engines/fx. + some fugue-esque sequencer features. And more feature crossover like scenes/performace macros/mem card. I don’t really have space for ‘box per type’ on my desk and not the biggest fan of housekeeping/juggling multiple boxes/Patterns. Can be ballache when writing/performing stuff with lots of chords and Key changes or patterns longer than 64 steps across a bunch of hardware. Maybe they have something more expansive in the works? Wouldn’t totally surprise me after the DT > OT mkii/mki OS update un-veil sequence.

But still… tempted! Trying to ride out the Gas wave! Sounds like these are shipping now so be great to check some vids when people receive them.

I see people wanting some big mega digital/sample/granular/multifx/wavetable/scanner/something box. And that would reflect where software seems to be going (looking at new instruments in version 10 of both Reason and Live alone). But the hardware I see that really seems to be tackling that are things like the Waldorf Quantum. Looks beautiful. Way out of my price range. Don’t want keyboards. And at what point is it really an iPad or Surface with just some dedicated knobs? (I know Quantum has analog filters and stuff, I’m just thinking about its touch screen UI… Wondering if it is ‘fun’ or ends up having that same uncanny-distance that I still feel when trying iPad synths).

But maybe those days are coming - low latency hardware/software combos that can deliver a next-generation Organelle, Axoloti, or even Nord Modular, that can sound incredible, be anything one wants, but can still have some of the fun that I get sitting on the couch with a lone Elektron box. Or that can free good instrument designers to make these next level things that can bring in some of the best of current software synths without the soul and eyeball crushing distance that some of us feel when trying to use software.

Anyways, looks like I may have my Digitone as soon as tomorrow. I’m eager to try it. I like it for its price point. Haven’t spent more than $1k on an Elektron box yet, and this will be my fifth and I think it will be a really good addition to my lineup. Too bad I’m shit at making videos but hopefully can at least have some early explorations up on soundcloud in a few days.

Arriving tomoro?? Sweet! Let us know how you get on with it.

Re the other stuff. Agreed. The trick is getting those future next gen boxes to not feel like computer/ipad. Not that I think the Waldorf Quantum would :wink:

It doesn’t seem that far-fetched though…There are bunch of synth types + sampling in op1. If some kind of next gen one appeared and it had a bunch more cpu power and -

-3 octaves.
-8 knobs.
-8 tracks, which would also = 8 page buttons for deeper sound design/modulation params.
-16 buttons instead of the current 8 for ‘loaded’ sounds (These could double as sequencer step buttons… Giving p-locks etc).
-A ribbon strip for Idensity style granular scrubbing/automation recording…
-Some interesting functionality that layered and modulated between engines and multiple fx etc, as opposed to current op1 where it’s limited to one engine+fx type at a time…

• an open source element. Like even if users could just code/share their own fx…

Boom! Crazy deep but still super intuitive and fun. I’d pay £1500+ for something like that if it had high quality engine/fx types and expandable storage etc. Super portable but still super serious. Elektron and TE don’t really seem too interested in building that type of box though :frowning: Opz looks like it might be kind of like treading water and elektron seem to be further compartmentalising elements in to separate boxes… Crazy to see a company like Empress making bigger forward strides/risks!?

But back to the here and now… Digitone looks like a lot of fun and sounds really nice from vids, hyped to watch more videos start to show up later this week. Still might grab one. Enjoy!

It’ll be interesting to see more of what this ‘open source’ digital synth stuff is supposed to be in the Korg Prologue. There’s quite a bit of speculation. After seeing what the community has done with the Organelle and with how some of the Mutable Instruments module code has spread to Max, PD, Organelle, and VCV Rack, I’m starting to be more optimistic about that future as those instruments are still usable in a real, tangible, purchasable thing (not something I have to build and solder myself, nor have to find someone to do it for me).

I think the good next generation of stuff is going to come from the next generation of companies. It’s why I’m keeping an eye on Synthstrom Audible and Tasty Chips (whose ST4 tracker looks very interesting as an Elektron box alternative; and whose new GR1 granular box looks very interesting) and Modor.

It’s almost too much stuff! I know I’m overwhelmed with all that I’ve picked up in the past few weeks and that’s before the Digitone came along.

I think it and my new Modor NF-1m are going to be a killer combination - the Modor adding an additional 8 voices, lots of noise and additive options, a comb filter, and the formant filter; combining with the sequencing and effects and all the voices of the Digitone. It’s going to be a blast! And still be playable on the sofa.

It is here. At my work. Where I have many hours yet to go to take it home and play. But it is here. (With luck, PO-35 should be here today too).