Elektron Digitone

Was it rock solid always? Or do we just not remember Octatrack 1.0.0 and friends? I came late to the party, but I swear I’ve heard that Octatrack 1.0 was pretty rough. (Granted, Octatrack was an incredibly ambitious project).

When are things finished? Should they have waited until Machinedrum 1.63 to mark it as finished? (Part of why I’m so curious about Machinedrum history since I came in at the end of all things. Aside from UW stuff, what did it launch with and what came later? When was TR-BD2 added?)

I have encountered zero issues in my first 24 hours of use. 99.9% of Digitone owners will probably get units with OS 1.01 or later installed, and I can get those fixes tonight, one day after opening the box. 8 days after first hearing that this thing even existed. Before most retailers have their units. Hardly ‘tatters’.

The issues… yeah, they’re rough, and I don’t know what’s going on with Digitakt. But Elektron has also earned my trust that they will continue to do updates that fix bugs and often add new features (conditional trigs being a huge example; along with expanded FM capabilities on the Analog series).

It’s better than the treatment Tempest users got.

But yeah, they should still do better, as I do see this as having a growing negative impact on what was once considered a premium brand, and that stink can be hard to wash off. Korg Electribe 2 series is still tainted in my mind due to all of the horror stories I heard about the launch units and lack of updates.

Just because I’m a bit tired and cranky still :slight_smile: I did dig through the Machinedrum release notes. Here’s OS 1.30b to 1.32 bug fixes. Look at some of these! Just a reminder that it hasn’t always been “rock solid sequencing”. Saw more notes of “MIDI machines rewritten from scratch and now adjusted according to user feedback step by step to this 1.33 release”. All probably before Mk2 and long before +Drive came to the Machinedrum (looks like +Drive came in OS 1.60, mk2 may have been 1.50, the next major version after 1.33)

<div class="page" title="Page 12">
		<div class="layoutArea">
			<div class="column">
				<pre><span style="font-size: 10.000000pt; font-family: 'Courier'">Slide did not work properly on Midi machine locks. Fixed.

Bank CC was sent as Modulation Wheel CC by LFO and Slide. Fixed.

Locked Midi parameter on first step of track was immediately reset to track value. Fixed.

When changing between patterns the first step played the notes of the last pattern. Fixed.

When trigged locked chords are followed by trigged steps without locks, the following steps still trigger chords. Fixed

The Midi machines handling of Notes and Continuous controllers have been generally improved.

Please note that Slide and LFO of the same parameter still does not work well. We are working on this.

Local off inhibited Note off until Stop was pressed. Fixed.

Wow. Even finding bug fixes for Machinedrum SPS-1 "did not boot with plusdrive installed. Fixed; Soft Reset did not boot the machine. Fixed."

In other words - everything has always sucked and been broken. Tatters!

(We still should demand better quality, but should also not operate under the assumption that older machines existed in some golden flawless age)

It’s more the fact that they’re bringing new gear out so rapidly and seemingly not giving full focus to issues/promises that still need tending to on previous releases. If I was DT owner with a full +drive I’d be kinda pissed to see DN getting any update at all yet tbh…

As well as not disclosing known bugs on launch. I don’t think anyone expects deep techy gear to work 100% on release. Just wouldn’t hurt Elektron to be a bit more honest about these things.

Either way, nice to see a fast update that seems to have fixed the arp and midi bugs. Will keep an eye on DN vids/updates/OB and look to test one in store.

From what I understood, OT/A4/AR mk2 were kind of a forced move to ensure these machine could keep on being produced.

Something to do with the change of production line, maybe.

If you take into account that changes on hardware impact OB development, it’s no wonder DT OB is still not a thing.
I am convinced there were some questionable decisions, conceptually and strategically. There is only one Overbridge : if any change in any machine impacts the dev, they are putting themselves in a position where they’ll always chase their tail.

But even if it has been a rough year, the fact that DN is out shows that they are putting their head out of the water…

I have faith in this company.
Love the machines, both UX and sound. Elektron and TE make machines that let me express myself.
I have a deep respect for the people : from the public words dropped by Elektron (on the forum or on videos) or the private conversations I have with them (support, admin) I believe they are great human beings, respectful, honest, and awesome musicians.
Most of all they are driven by the passion they have to design smart machines, and the creativity they show in this regard is art in itself, IMO. Somehow, I can see the parallel with like lute-making.
Might be too subjective. Or it’s just that I don’t know anyone from the marketing team :wink:

Why release the Digitone before it's finished? (same as DT) Makes no sense to me. Their reputation used to be about rock solid sequencing. This is in tatters.

Cool box though! :smiley:

Do you own a Digitakt mate? Honestly Elektrons reputation is not in ‘tatters’. For people who know what theyre doing thier stock has never been higher. My machine has never crashed on me. It’s the people who don’t know what they’re doing with overly complex midi routing sequencing external gear, creating midi feedback loops that are crashing the unit. The same idiots who think Overbridge is going to magically turn them into amazing recording artists.

As far as Digitone goes, it’s going to get updates of course. Things will nees to be ironed out, that’s the nature of the game. What’s the alternative?..never release anything ‘just in case’ it crashes on someone.

Why release the Digitone before it's finished? (same as DT) Makes no sense to me. Their reputation used to be about rock solid sequencing. This is in tatters.

Do you own a Digitakt mate? Honestly Elektrons reputation is not in ‘tatters’. For people who know what theyre doing thier stock has never been higher. My machine has never crashed on me. It’s the people who don’t know what they’re doing with overly complex midi routing sequencing external gear, creating midi feedback loops that are crashing the unit. The same idiots who think Overbridge is going to magically turn them into amazing recording artists.

As far as Digitone goes, it’s going to get updates of course. Things will nees to be ironed out, that’s the nature of the game. What’s the alternative?..never release anything ‘just in case’ it crashes on someone.

How do you make a midi feedback loop with only midi out connected?
Because mine did crash in that situation. It’s not idiots making overly complex midi sequences… there are known bugs. They will hopefully be squashed in the next update though.

One was turning two knobs with cc assignments could crash the unit, I also have had the OS crash importing a sample from the +Drive. After reboot importing the exact same sample was fine.
Also some units are crashing more than others. I got lucky as mine crashed very few times, but there are some users with lots of experience with Elektron gear that were/are getting lots more

I did own one but sold it. Great unit, sounded great but I wanted the £ to buy another OP1. It did crash on me once, but that issue is of lesser importance in my mind than fixing Overbridge and taking an age to issue updates.

Tatters might have been a bit strong! :slight_smile: But I am not in the least bit surprised that there are initial teething problems with the DN (no matter how minor). I am also not in the least bit surprised that Overbridge or a means to get samples out of the DT have been released. Which suggests to me anyway that they don’t have that good a reputation in my eyes.

All that being said, I do accept they are complex machines and things like fixes take time.

Easy dude :wink:

Not really cool to assume people to be ‘idiots’ or to not ‘know what they’re doing’, just because they’ve grown sceptical of a company that released a (initially super…) buggy sampler over half a year ago, that still can’t be backed up and/or are still waiting for OB so they can pipe separate outputs… Yet the company has the dev resources to release and update entirely new products.

It just doesn’t add up so great… I don’t even own a DT but I see this stuff and it colours my perception of the company same as with any other company. And hearing people still wait for this stuff just reminds me back to my original DT disappointment with it not having memory card/bigger memory, more outputs etc… guessing a bunch of purchasers dismissed those omissions based on things that have yet to materialise…

Dunno why people seem to get touchy/defensive about elektron? Korg/Roland/Behringer/Akai etc get slated constantly as soon as they put a step wrong but a lot of people jump to Elektron’s defense when they act similarly… It’s strange…

How do you make a midi feedback loop with only midi out connected?
Because mine did crash in that situation. It’s not idiots making overly complex midi sequences… there are known bugs. They will hopefully be squashed in the next update though.

One was turning two knobs with cc assignments could crash the unit, I also have had the OS crash importing a sample from the +Drive. After reboot importing the exact same sample was fine.
Also some units are crashing more than others. I got lucky as mine crashed very few times, but there are some users with lots of experience with Elektron gear that were/are getting lots more

Ok fair enough. All I can say is I’ve never had any problems. Maybe you just got a bad unit. It happens.

Why release the Digitone before it’s finished? (same as DT) Makes no sense to me. Their reputation used to be about rock solid sequencing. This is in tatters.

Not really cool to assume people to be ‘idiots’ or to not ‘know what they’re doing’, just because they’ve grown sceptical of a company that released a (initially super…) buggy sampler over half a year ago, that still can’t be backed up and/or are still waiting for OB so they can pipe separate outputs… Yet the company has the dev resources to release and update entirely new products.

It just doesn’t add up so great… I don’t even own a DT but I see this stuff and it colours my perception of the company same as with any other company. And hearing people still wait for this stuff just reminds me back to my original DT disappointment with it not having memory card/bigger memory, more outputs etc… guessing a bunch of purchasers dismissed those omissions based on things that have yet to materialise…

Dunno why people seem to get touchy/defensive about elektron? Korg/Roland/Behringer/Akai etc get slated constantly as soon as they put a step wrong but a lot of people jump to Elektron’s defense when they act similarly… It’s strange…

I’m allowed an opinion mate, and my opinion is that alot of people on forums etc have bought the Digitakt as an entry level device (much like Circuit) and expect it to be something it’s not. Yes it’s a midi sequencer…but so is Ableton and pretty much any DAW, are you telling me Ableton never crashes? People still use it despite this.

All bugs aside (and really, shit happens…if you don’t like it you’re in the wrong game) it’s still a great device and the world is a better place for having it exist rather than not. Companies like Elektron and TE should be praised for continually producing game changing kit and people should have more patience. Bugs will be ironed out.

From what I understood, OT/A4/AR mk2 were kind of a forced move to ensure these machine could keep on being produced.
Something to do with the change of production line, maybe.

If you take into account that changes on hardware impact OB development, it's no wonder DT OB is still not a thing.
I am convinced there were some questionable decisions, conceptually and strategically. There is only one Overbridge : if any change in any machine impacts the dev, they are putting themselves in a position where they'll always chase their tail.

But even if it has been a rough year, the fact that DN is out shows that they are putting their head out of the water...

I have faith in this company.
Love the machines, both UX and sound. Elektron and TE make machines that let me express myself.
I have a deep respect for the people : from the public words dropped by Elektron (on the forum or on videos) or the private conversations I have with them (support, admin) I believe they are great human beings, respectful, honest, and awesome musicians.
Most of all they are driven by the passion they have to design smart machines, and the creativity they show in this regard is art in itself, IMO. Somehow, I can see the parallel with like lute-making.
Might be too subjective. Or it's just that I don't know anyone from the marketing team ;)

Yeah there’s a good chance that the mkii switchover hit them quite hard for unforeseen workload and hopefully things will smooth out now. They’re among the most talented devs out there and I love a lot of what they do. But I still don’t see why they wouldn’t disclose known bugs at launch, at the very least. Cenk etc are pretty hardcore, they must be aware of most of them… I just find it difficult to treat them as both a small company and cut them slack on stuff, if they don’t act like a small company and communicate these things to customers. The DT rollout was terrible! DN is already a marked improvement.

Just that when it started to feel like ‘give us your money, deal with bugs, wait indefinitely on promises’ it feels more like a big company like Korg, so I’ve found myself feeling similarly toward them :frowning: The quick update on the DN is hopefully indicative of a new era after a small blip though. We’ll see…

And as far as overbridge and backing up…I don’t backup anything a I play on my guitar, and I don’t feel the need to mic up every string. My point is these things are instruments. If you can’t get something sounding good on the device itself (ie the same as OP1) then no amount of multitracking and post production is going to help you.

There’s no coincidence that many bands/artists up until the mid 90s still played live and recorded albums in a week.

And as far as overbridge and backing up…I don’t backup anything a I play on my guitar, and I don’t feel the need to mic up every string. My point is these things are instruments. If you can’t get something sounding good on the device itself (ie the same as OP1) then no amount of multitracking and post production is going to help you.

There’s no coincidence that many bands/artists up until the mid 90s still played live and recorded albums in a week.

That’s just your relationship with DT though. Someone else might only have need for one sequencer track…wouldn’t make it cool if the other 7 didn’t work for everyone else though :wink:

I absolutely loved my DT, thing sounds amazing. But I soon filled it up with samples. I couldn’t delete samples because I had so many projects using them. I couldn’t track out my projects to mix because it only has a stereo output. So it just sat there unused… and annoyed me. I paid 1100$ to have a sampler with no more room to sample. So I got pissed off with the situation one night and deleted two months of tracks and samples and put it on eBay. That was November last year and still no backup or OB.
I just used the money to buy the Digitone… not so fussed with no backup for now as it’s not a sampler with a limited 2gb drive. When backup and OB arrive for Digitakt I will probably get another, especially if they add a compressor and stereo pass through on the inputs. Or maybe I’ll wait and see what the next Digi box is? Probably will be a machinedrum type thing. The Digitakt is beast though, eager to see what they bring in the next few updates

That’s just your relationship with DT though. Someone else might only have need for one sequencer track…wouldn’t make it cool if the other 7 didn’t work for everyone else though :wink:

But the other 7 do work. And suggesting there are people out there only needing one sequencer track…why would you buy a digitakt in that instance?

I absolutely loved my DT, thing sounds amazing. But I soon filled it up with samples. I couldn’t delete samples because I had so many projects using them. I couldn’t track out my projects to mix because it only has a stereo output. So it just sat there unused… and annoyed me. I paid 1100$ to have a sampler with no more room to sample. So I got pissed off with the situation one night and deleted two months of tracks and samples and put it on eBay. That was November last year and still no backup or OB.
I just used the money to buy the Digitone… not so fussed with no backup for now as it’s not a sampler with a limited 2gb drive. When backup and OB arrive for Digitakt I will probably get another, especially if they add a compressor and stereo pass through on the inputs. Or maybe I’ll wait and see what the next Digi box is? Probably will be a machinedrum type thing. The Digitakt is beast though, eager to see what they bring in the next few updates

Sorry you had a bad experience. All I can say is other than octatrack Elektron have never had any backup capabilities.

I would agree it is essential for Digitakt though with only 1gb storage. Having said that it is marketed as a drum computer, so in that instance if you used it for short one shots and single cycle waveforms as intended you would do well to fill 1gb.

Of course you can use it for alot more than just one shots…but as soon as you run into problems regarding space you’re always going to get the answer…“Should’ve got an Octatrack”. Which in reality is the truth…the two machines exist side by side for a reason.

But the other 7 do work. And suggesting there are people out there only needing one sequencer track…why would you buy a digitakt in that instance?

Huh? Think you missed my point :wink: Was saying that just cos you personally don’t need backup or OB, doesn’t mean it’s the same for everyone else…

I can make my OT sound amazing. Doesn’t mean I wouldn’t be bummed out if the memory was full without means to backup and I was still waiting for 3 of the outputs to work…

Sorry you had a bad experience. All I can say is other than octatrack Elektron have never had any backup capabilities.

I would agree it is essential for Digitakt though with only 1gb storage. Having said that it is marketed as a drum computer, so in that instance if you used it for short one shots and single cycle waveforms as intended you would do well to fill 1gb.

Of course you can use it for alot more than just one shots…but as soon as you run into problems regarding space you’re always going to get the answer…“Should’ve got an Octatrack”. Which in reality is the truth…the two machines exist side by side for a reason.

Suggesting that someone should buy an octatrack instead of DT purely so they can back up samples is crazy talk :wink: Possibly the kind of thing elektron might hope people do I guess? But in reality surely any sampler over £300 (or even way less?) should have ‘some’ means of backup? I can’t think of any other that doesn’t?

Suggesting that someone should buy an octatrack instead of DT purely so they can back up samples is crazy talk :wink: Possibly the kind of thing elektron might hope people do I guess? But in reality surely any sampler over £300 (or even way less?) should have ‘some’ means of backup? I can’t think of any other that doesn’t?

I didn’t suggest that. If you have any idea of how Elektron work, each machine is part of a big jigsaw puzzle. That’s just the way it is.

I agree backup would be good, if not essential. However it’s not here yet. What do you want to do? Stop making music? Just don’t buy Digitakt, job done.

I didn’t suggest that. If you have any idea of how Elektron work, each machine is part of a big jigsaw puzzle. That’s just the way it is.

I agree backup would be good, if not essential. However it’s not here yet. What do you want to do? Stop making music? Just don’t buy Digitakt, job done.

You actually suggested exactly that :wink: quote -
“as soon as you run into problems regarding space you’re always going to get the answer…“Should’ve got an Octatrack”. Which in reality is the truth”.

No one mentioned ‘stop making music’ as an option… Just a few people saying they’re feeling cautious with new elektron purchases or disappointed with the dev support for past ones. Justified imho.