Empress Zoia

with its fairly complex functionality i think the question still remains wether it could be multi timbral. having effects in parallel as opposed to series is sorta multi timbral?

I dont think ill be buying this at launch but ill certainly keep an eye on it and see how the community turns out.

I don’t think it’s open source/community driven like organelle? Not totally sure yet though.

Does look great though. Nowhere near the customisation depth of organelle but far easier to combine modules and experiment from the unit itself. Curious to find out how powerful it is and how much you can wire together without hitting the cpu limit.

Empress have said they’ll be adding modules regularly. But not sure how often that’ll turn out to be… They’ve been promising a looper for their reverb pedal for over a year now :wink: But that’s more of a bonus than a selling point of that pedal so hopefully they’ll be pretty regular with modules for this one…

Is it multitimbral? Like a small deluge?

It’s an FX pedal rather than a synth.

I lied! Seems like it can be a synth.

https://youtu.be/29GIxntGNnM

@cuckoo what’s the scoop on the ‘per pad’ params on the screen. Couldn’t really see screen in vids I watched so far. Does it seem like it’ll be a lot of fun to program? Or quite painful?

In terms of flexibility and sound/fx design it looks amazing! Just wondering about workflow. I hated using my hd500 multi-fx pedal for making/tweaking complex chains. That had a similar size screen/stomp select per pedal(equivalent to module pads)/but with 4 knobs. Hoping the pad grid on this makes it a totally improved experience in comparison…

It does look kind of painful to me but anything other than a computer will be compromised to an extent, especially one with this small a form factor. If it takes MIDI in (albeit via 6.35mm jack) then you can maybe program on computer and dump via sysex?

Find the complete lack of any encoders a bit puzzling, but I guess they wanted to keep the footprint down.
It does look kind of painful to me but anything other than a computer will be compromised to an extent, especially one with this small a form factor. If it takes MIDI in (albeit via 6.35mm jack) then you can maybe program on computer and dump via sysex?

Find the complete lack of any encoders a bit puzzling, but I guess they wanted to keep the footprint down.

Yeah, seems similar to organelle in terms of being 1st gen. Pretty sure I’ll find the pain:pleasure ratio worth copping one :wink:

Gonna be an interesting few years ahead… Excited for 2nd/3rd gen things like this and organelle. More knobs/more cpu = better modelling/less limits etc.

Multistomp/knobbier version of Zoia and some kind of hardware VCV rack would be killer. And like a 4 octave knobby keyboard with step sequencer buttons that matured the Organelle concept. Exciting times ahead for people with tight funds and little studio space :slight_smile:

I don’t understand why on Organelle or Zoia they don’t put much more encoders (not knobs, mind you !!)

When you have at east two menus, it makes perfectly sense. In this regard, Swedes have understood this a decade ago…

I have great hopes we’re at the very first generation of such programmable/multi-purpose instruments and that next ones will see their UX extremely well thought.
In this regard, Teenage Engineering is King.
...hardware VCV rack...
This already exists = eurorack.
...hardware VCV rack...
This already exists = eurorack.

Well yeah :slight_smile: big bucks though and only a couple modules out there that can instantly transform themselves in to other modules and free/open source :wink:

I was thinking more of something where you could constantly switch out/install module per module, and save global patches :wink: Would be complicated to figure out tho and keep it hands on/knob per function unless community was just given a bunch of empty hardware modules aimed at various jobs, that also had a bunch of seemingly extraneous knobs/connections etc on them for coders to play with…

Sounds like you could build that using a Windows tablet with VCV rack installed, an arduino, some potentionometers and a wooden box.

Sounds like you could build that using a Windows tablet with VCV rack installed, an arduino, some potentionometers and a wooden box.

Sounds like ‘someone’ could do :wink: I wouldn’t even know where to begin. And have zero free time to even consider trying to :frowning:

For it to work it would probably have to be something entirely new. With some long thought going in to the hardware modules and a community keen to code specifically for those modules’ layouts… Trying to do with the existing VCV rack would be a nightmare. Too much variation in modules’ layouts…