External FX processor

Looking for a small FX processor that I can send the line out of the OP-1 into and monitor with headphones. Mainly want to have a little better reverb than the unit on board the OP-1. Would a Kaoss type unit work for this? I have a Zoom G1u but when I connect the OP to it and plug in headphones to the Zoom I am getting no signal.

Disclaimer, I don’t have experience with the unit, but I think a mini KP2 would serve you nicely. I just did a quick search and it doesn’t look like the Zoom unit has a headphone out only an instrument level out. Do you have a mixer or audio interface to plug the zoom into? Did you have the zoom before the op-1 and use it with other gear?

Mini KP2 is great, also check out patchblocks if you are up for a bit of designing your own, (there are free patch downloads to use/edit too) and you can make other cool stuff with them too, like clock generators, synths, drum machines, filters, cheap too.

http://patchblocks.com/home

The great thing about the KP2 is that you can also record onto it, but it does eat batteries very quickly.
Disclaimer, I don't have experience with the unit, but I think a mini KP2 would serve you nicely. I just did a quick search and it doesn't look like the Zoom unit has a headphone out only an instrument level out. Do you have a mixer or audio interface to plug the zoom into? Did you have the zoom before the op-1 and use it with other gear?

The output on the Zoom is labeled “phones” but maybe the OP’s output isn’t hot enough? Would hate to get the KP2 only to find the same thing. Also wondering if I can route the audio from the KP2 back into the OP?

also check out patchblocks if you are up for a bit of designing your own,

These look cool, thanks! I couldn’t see from the website if the output is hot enough to run headphones. I don’t have a mixer and just want to add an FX processor to my bag when I travel, have the whole thing run on batteries, and be able to listen with headphones.

I’ve used a mini KP2 just like this. It’s no problem. It can record what you’re doing too if you want the effected sound (can’t pipe it back into the OP-1 without major feedback or some fancy cabling someone has posted at some point in the past).

So:

OP-1 -> Mini KP2 -> headphones, jam out, have fun, record
Mini KP2 playback -> OP-1, record to Tape

Pic of Mini KP2 headphone jack attached

I looked at the Zoom manual. It looks like it should work fine. If I were you, I’d start looking to troubleshoot what you have:

Does the OP-1 output work with tgat csble when plugged straight into, say, a guitar smp?

Does the Zoom still eork? Could thr batteries be flat?

What precise end types are on your 3.5mm to 1/4" jack cable?

Do earphones work when plugged directly into the OP-1?

Are you sure you’re using the output port on the OP-1 (white) ?

CB

Zoom ms-70cdr is a great little inexpensive unit for reverbs, delays and more. Even can do strymon-like shimmer reverbs.

I looked at the Zoom manual. It looks like it should work fine. If I were you, I'd start looking to troubleshoot what you have:

Does the OP-1 output work with tgat csble when plugged straight into, say, a guitar smp?

Does the Zoom still eork? Could thr batteries be flat?

What precise end types are on your 3.5mm to 1/4" jack cable?

Do earphones work when plugged directly into the OP-1?

Are you sure you’re using the output port on the OP-1 (white) ?

CB

I’m using the cable I got with my irig. It has a splitter on one end (1/4" male, 1/8" female) and 1/8" male on the other end.

I think the funky cable is your problem as you are reversing the splitter cable in rhis use case. Get yourself a conventional cable to test.

Note also that the output of the OP-1 is stereo whereas your Zoom input is mono. So you could just sum the channels in a single cable. Or you could get a stereo 1/8" to 2 x 1/4" mono jacks and just use one channel in the Zoom, this second cable being more useful if you come to interface your OP-1 to an audio interface in future.

CB

I think the funky cable is your problem...

CB

Yep that was it. I think I’ll still get the kaoss since I can’t reroute the effected audio back into the op-1.