Filming / recording in cafe's - tips?

Have you looked at the HDR-MV1 by Sony? The fish-eye lens got a bit of a slating in the reviews but it’s great from what I can tell. The videos on YouTube look great! I bought it on the weekend. I was in town to pick up a ICDSX2000 but instead opted for this as I will be able to capture ‘found sound’ samples and record videos of jams via line-in which is something I’ve been longing to do for ages!

I think it should work great. I love your videos and would love to see more of the background/area you are jamming in. You could record the foley and the visuals separately on the HDR-MV1 and record the audio on something else, maybe. Also, this thing is SMALL! Op-1 > HDR-MV1 = ideal size for a traveler. Anyway, I’m just throwing another option out there. I did read your previous posts @lefilou but in my opinion having more choices either reinforces my original decision or teaches me something I didn’t know.

Peace! :smiley:

Thanks guys, for your inputs. Still sourcing bits and pieces.

I didn’t know the Behringer UCA thingey would work with iOS… I wonder what other non-lightning, rather USB interfaces would be plug and play with a lightning to USB adapter on iOS.

@lefilou @HisMostDarxxxellent
Seems like 2 people said they like my videos, but I didn’t think anyone actually watched the few vids I put out. I’ve been trying to figure out if y’all were referring to someone else, and I was misinterpretting… But I guess someone does watch my vids :stuck_out_tongue: (although I could just be missing the point of what’s being said)

Here’s to many vids this year, and a few international jams <3

@HisMostDarxxxellent I have been eying off that hdr actually. You can also control it via iOS app? Also, stream wirelessly to iOS?

Anyways, looks like a great cam… I’m just leaning towards an ios at the moment + itrack pocket for stage / acoustic stuff & lil 3.5mm stereo interface (couple options) into iOS for op1 vids. PS. I have a simple clip on fisheye lense for filming. I’m really hoping to get the op1 screen in focus. I find vids where you can see the screen to be more pleasing to my inner nerd warrior.

Thanks guys, for your inputs. Still sourcing bits and pieces.

I didn’t know the Behringer UCA thingey would work with iOS… I wonder what other non-lightning, rather USB interfaces would be plug and play with a lightning to USB adapter on iOS.

As I know it works with every class compliant audio interface. But for interfaces that have phantom power you need additionally a powered USB-hub and a battery pack (powerbar or however it is called)

I appreciate my UCA202 and all, but sweet jesus can someone just make a non-RCA alternative already? Dongle-free is the way to be.

Seems like all the competitors have mono inputs designed exclusively for guitars.

I have a UAC200 (earlier model without the headphone monitoring or volume control), will it work or does that leave no way to monitor your input at all?

The Roland Go Mixer looks pretty cool.

I so want the GO:Mixer. Finding one… backordered at most places!

I tried the UAC200, IT WORKS! but the gain is very very low in GarageBand on iPhone. Not sure how to boost using that application. It sounded like a pretty decent level using the builtin camera/video, though! Plus I can monitor via the headphone jack (latency might be an issue at some point).

I’ll use it for now but definitely interested in the GO:Mixer!

GO mixer. Oh my GOd. How did I not find this during extended searching!? TWO stereo 3.5mm inputs PLUS guitar PLUS MICROPHONE input. Plus just an instrument input which can be mono or stereo 1/4 jacks. Ridiculously versatile.

But same here, @flyingace71 I can’t find em anywhere.

Sweetwater say they will be available 5th April https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GOMIXER

Sweetwater say they will be available 5th April https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GOMIXER

Ooh mumma. That is very soon.

Yes, I’m going to preorder on monday! Even though the UAC200 is working, to have all that functionality… it’s a no brainer!

There available here in Japan. Saw one yesterday. I do think it would be cool to have a couple more line-ins and I’d like to stream live. I’m not sure if it can do that or not.

@HisMostDarxxxellent I have been eying off that hdr actually. You can also control it via iOS app? Also, stream wirelessly to iOS?

more pleasing to my inner nerd warrior.

Always please the inner nerd warrior, it’s a goddamn gangbuster must!

Controlling it via the app is a godsend! Yes, I can send the files wirelessly to my iPhone.
One thing I’d have like to have seen implemented is the ability to stream a live show. It’s possible with Sony’s answer to the GoPro goods so why not with the HDR. Anyhoo, I’m super duper happy with it :wink: the vids on YouTube showing what is achievable are sweeeeeeeeeet!
I think it will be achievable through certain routing ways but it’s not an option straight out of the box. My guess is we would have to plug it into the comp via USB and use some 3rd party software.

Hi @ludicrouSpeed .
How are you doing on your cruise?
I tried senting you a PM
Did you get it?

Hi @ludicrouSpeed . How are you doing on your cruise? I tried senting you a PM Did you get it?

As you now know, I got it!

Was a pleasure to hang, good sir.

Send you some samples soon :slight_smile:

I think you got yourself a Helsinki jam session @ludicrouSpeed! =)

Hey dude!

Monday, June 26th, between 10am & 2pm.

Tell me we can hang?

:)))

So I met up with @ludicrouSpeed yesterday in a cafe in Liverpool.
Absolute blast meeting with a head (via here) from complete different continent.
Lovely company him and his wife. An absolute pleasure.
We only had 2+ hours for gear love but was great.
Heads up @vehka Internet connection is poor on the ship but he offered me this opportunity to travel on the ship for £10 a day! I was skint and had a responsibility - but really it would of been so cool to just sale off on that cruise with them. Food included- take the OP-1 .All you need is to find your way home from future ports. So worth considering.

Edit -strange I was writing this same time as you @ludicrouSpeed !!
Hope to meet again buddy :slight_smile:

Awesome let me ask the cafe tomorrow, will get back to you ASAP!

So I met up with @ludicrouSpeed yesterday in a cafe in Liverpool. Absolute blast meeting with a head (via here) from complete different continent. Lovely company him and his wife. An absolute pleasure. We only had 2+ hours for gear love but was great.

Heads up @vehka Internet connection is poor on the ship but he offered me this opportunity to travel on the ship for £10 a day! I was skint and had a responsibility - but really it would of been so cool to just sale off on that cruise with them. Food included- take the OP-1 .All you need is to find your way home from future ports. So worth considering.

Edit -strange I was writing this same time as you @ludicrouSpeed !!
Hope to meet again buddy :slight_smile:

Was a pleasure, mate :)))