Firmware 225?

So, the SPP/sync issues have been solved now?

I have been following your posts and I myself do many of these tests

Do you think one can use the OP-1 both as master and slave without issues now?

the SPP issue is solved, last i checked. you can use the OP1 as master. re slaving - unless you have a rock-solid non-drift MIDI clock, the best strategy is to monkey-sync the op1 - same tempo but not listen to sync. The reason for this is that it loops to fixed points on the tape, and as the tempo drifts, the OP1 does NOT adjust those loop points.

but going back to original question - 225 is stable and fun again

I'm still on 218 and happy with it. And based on what happened to @minorscience , it's kinda granted that 225 would also brick my OP-1. Seeing how focused TE on the coming-soon OP-Z is, I don't think we should expect new features for the OP-1 anytime soon, if ever.

Just following up on this for any interested parties. OP-1 is still bricked. Sending in for repair. Hope it doesn’t cost a fortune. Total bummer.

Ah man :confused: hope it’s as painless/cheap/quick as possible for ya

When I received my OP, I wanted to update the firmware right away. I first tried to update to 218 with scary results. The OP wouldn’t turn on at all…Just a black screen when I tried to power up. It would however go into Com mode when connected to a computer.

Dug around and found 225, which as mentioned was not really announced, so I was hesitant to try it. I was ready to return the unit because I had seen posts that talked about DOA OP’s. But, I installed 225, did a factory install, and since then it has worked like a charm.

Unfortunately since I am unfamiliar with older firmware, I can neither confirm nor deny 225’s superiority over previous OS iterations. But, I can say it has been working perfectly since. Nothing buggy that I’ve noticed. Just a kick ass, quirky little box.

Just updated to 225. At first glance and play, my OP-1 seems to be functioning normally.

I never had any beta version of an OS installed on it.
Just updated to 225. At first glance and play, my OP-1 seems to be functioning normally.

Out of interest, which version did you upgrade from?

CB

Out of interest, which version did you upgrade from?

CB

Probably the version that introduced the DSynth and Sketch sequencer.

Just got an OP-1 off Amazon, ordered last week, received a couple days ago. It came with v220 pre-loaded, and appears to be brand new, unused, and the serial number is a T9 variant. I wasn’t going to update to 225 because of the apparent problems some people have had, but my OP-1 came with the display bug in the DNA synth (where the display screen is fractured and offset incorrectly), and I wanted to roll the dice hoping that would be fixed. Happy to report everything went smooth - I did a factory reset and then did the firmware update. DNA synth looks proper now and haven’t noticed any problems!

Just wanted to share my experience for others who might be on the fence.

Ditto as ‘Telandrip’ post as above:

Got my new OP-1 from Gear4Music (UK) last week. Came with V220 installed and serial No. T9… Upgraded to V225 this morning after a factory reset. Smooth upgrade. TIP: Keep a magnifying glass handy for reading the tiny onscreen instructions :slight_smile: PS: What’s the meaning of that other number on the box, like: TEE… ? cheers

I just updated to 225 from 218 modified with iter and filter, all seems good. I was worried this would mess up the update, so made a modified 225 using @wavi repacker tool, which still works great with the new firmware.

I’ve been syncing with the Digitakt and the midi sync is a lot better than last time I tried, not sure if it’s improved from 218 though.

Sorry for being away so long.

I’ve been running 225 (with the filter and iter mod applied) for as long as it’s been out and haven’t had a single problem. I’m happy they haven’t removed filter or iter in the new release. I just started playing with the graphics again…

@cretakano good to know that my tool works fine for you too :slight_smile:

So what exactly is the iter synth? I thought it was basically the voltage synth…

I’m pretty sure it’s not related voltage since both voltage and iter exist in the latest FW.
It’s hard to describe but it’s a wonky little thing. There’s a lot going on with resonance and it seems that the sound of a note can affect the sound of the next note.
Check this video by @TabascoEye
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKhRBJYep1Y

I'm pretty sure it's not related voltage since both voltage and iter exist in the latest FW.
It's hard to describe but it's a wonky little thing. There's a lot going on with resonance and it seems that the sound of a note can affect the sound of the next note.
Check this video by @TabascoEye
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKhRBJYep1Y

Awesome! I’ll have to get it :slight_smile:

Here’s something I made with iter and filter:

https://op1.fun/users/wavi/patches/wavi_wonky_bass

I wonder if Iter is some kind of feedback based thing… I’m feeling the siren song of Eurorack over modules like the Make Noise Mysteron and am trying to remember the OP-1’s ‘Pluck’ engine can cover a lot of the same territory (esp. with LFO). But there’s some feedback-network related stuff in the Mysteron that can add some wildness from note to note… Wonder if it’s similar to Iter.

How does one get Iter?

@jshell simply install this patch, and you have iter (and “filter” effect as well). Dbox with Filter also included enabling filter for drum engines. I really dig iter… it has some sort of noise parameter which reminds me a lot of Nord Drum.

I wonder if Iter is some kind of feedback based thing.. I'm feeling the siren song of Eurorack over modules like the Make Noise Mysteron and am trying to remember the OP-1's 'Pluck' engine can cover a lot of the same territory (esp. with LFO). But there's some feedback-network related stuff in the Mysteron that can add some wildness from note to note... Wonder if it's similar to Iter.

How does one get Iter?

Loading the patch that sammyjams sent will give you iter and filter, and my patch will do that too. If you want to permanently enable the features (so you can use filter in the master fx) you’ll need to run customized firmware. There’s a thread about that here https://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/2232/custom-firmware-on-the-op-1/p1

EDIT: Yes, iter definitely has some feedback features.