Firmware/Arp Woes & Dodgy Power Switch.

Hi there, for a while my OP-1 has been gathering dust due to two reasons:

1. When I updated my firmware (from the leaked firmware) it seems that there’s a value stuck in my arp that is outside the parameters of the official firmware arp. eg. When I try to select the arp the OP-1 crashes and I get an error message about a value being out of range. Is there a known fix for that - or will I have to roll back to earlier firmware? Does old firmware even fall into the obtanium category?

2. My OP-1 randomly decides to turn itself off, then on, then off… Ad nauseum. Today I received a multi-meter, so I checked the continuity on the main power switch; sure enough it sometimes seems fine and then at others it will rapidly drop in and out. Even when I read a stable continuity, all I have to do is tap the switch super lightly (like 1 micron in either direction) and it will either lose continuity altogether or go back to opening and closing rapidly.

Before I stump up about £50 for a replacement board, I was wondering if anyone knows if TE have changed the spec on that dodgy switch. If I bought a whole new board only for the problem to persist or reoccur after a little time, it would feel really bad man.

Failing that I guess I could solder some kind of franken-switch on therebut it would probably end up hanging out the side like some kind of malformed parasite—which would somewhat ruin the sexy aesthetic of the OP-1.

1. Have you tried a factory reset after installation of the latest firmware? The previous version can be found here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4725797/OP1 Archives/Old OS/14203.zip

2. You could take the board out and clean the switch and check/resolder the switch terminals. There is a tutorial here: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Teenage+Engineering+OP-1+Connector+Board+Replacement/19125

CB

I had a problem where selecting the arp caused my op-1 to crash, did a factory reset and it’s fine now

New board was the only thing to fix my power switch. Not sure if it’s any better than the one on the old board though in the long-term. Fixed my low output mic issue too.

1. Good to know that a factory reset will probably fix the arp issue. Now I just need to get the power switch into a stable state. I’ve downloaded the old firmware just in case - thanks!

@cloudburst

2. Oh yeah, the ifixit guide is what I used to remove the board and do a
    continuity check on the switch. Looking at the switch - it seems
    securely fixed to the board, but there isn’t a large amount of solder on
    the legs (unlike the jack connectors and usb) It’s hard to tell the
    condition of the connection without a loupe, but like I said it seems
    securely connected to the board at least.

When you say to clean the
    switch - I’m presuming you mean with some kind of spray on contact
    cleaner? Sorry I’m still an electronics noob.

@markthomaswalker glad that sorted it. If I end up replacing my board hopefully that will hold true for me too.

1. Good to know that a factory reset will probably fix the arp issue. Now I just need to get the power switch into a stable state. I’ve downloaded the old firmware just in case - thanks!

@cloudburst

2. Oh yeah, the ifixit guide is what I used to remove the board and do a
continuity check on the switch. Looking at the switch - it seems
securely fixed to the board, but there isn’t a large amount of solder on
the legs (unlike the jack connectors and usb) It’s hard to tell the
condition of the connection without a loupe, but like I said it seems
securely connected to the board at least.

When you say to clean the
switch - I’m presuming you mean with some kind of spray on contact
cleaner? Sorry I’m still an electronics noob.

@markthomaswalker glad that sorted it. If I end up replacing my board hopefully that will hold true for me too.

Correct. Use Deoxit or an equivilant on the switch. I would recommend removing the connector board so you can access the switch without the cover on it and get the spray up in there.

Replacing the connector board on my OP-1 fixed the crazy issues I was having after 4 years of use as well.

It might be cleaning, yes

You should contact TE’s support. They have more experience in these kind of issues than anybody else does

Well I’m one step closer; just “fixed” the power switch and I now have an OP1 that powers up and stays powered up.

OP1 Switch