Go on, then, what should I buy next?

i did not read the other answers tbh but i would recommend a microkorg (s).
it’s a huge improvement in addition to an op1 or opz

2 Likes

I have sort of been in the same situation as you. I started with an OP-Z and quickly started adding hardware to my collection. OP-1 came next which I love, a Behringer Cat, then a Craft Synth 2.0, and following that a Volca FM. Really like them all. I also got an Elektron Analog Heat MK1 which turns the OP-Z into an brand new device. Give it some drive and distortion and it sounds so much better. But in answer to your question, I can recommend the Roland MC-101. Just go one two days ago. I wanted some extra beats and patches for the OP-Z without having to trawl the web and transfer to the limited storage. It’s got 3000 sounds
and it’s an excellent companion for the OP-Z. Just set up it’s 4 channels to replace the ones you use least or even on channels 9 to 16 and you can add so much more texture and interest to the OP-Z. The fact it has volume sliders makes performing on the OP-Z so much more fun too. I got it cheap as it was ex-display but I’d say it’s worth full retail price for all the sounds it’s got. Highly recommended

How about this one? Didn’t see your mention of it…

If you have the OP-lab module and a microphone, I’d recommend getting a vocoder like the v256. That lets you sequence the vocoder harmonics and you can add all kinds of fun stuff to your music.

I use that setup here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPaLZnx1K1k

1 Like

Modular

Get a midi to CV converter (like Endorhon.es Shuttle Control, or Polyend Poly 2) or just start out with the OP-Lab module and then get a small modular case.

1 Like

I think you’d love the OP-1. There’s nothing like it IMHO. Personally, I find it incredibly inspiring. I’ve had mine since the launch back in the day and every time I use it it provides me with a creative spark.

Agree with @Davnak, if you like buying new gear for new creative possibilities modular and CV is the one from my perspective. I have a simple Eurorack modular system. You can do all this weird experimentation with CV. It feels more tangible than any other signal. You can even sample CV signals. My MPC triggers modules with CV samples. I’ve plugged audio into modules to make envelopes triggered by the peaks in a song or beat. I’m not saying anyone should do this (because who knows maybe it’ll fry a module one day), but - fun.

Also agree with @5StarNomad, OP-1. I know you’re an OP-Z user. Would love to try that thing myself.

1 Like

The OP-Z and OP-1 have VERY different workflows IMO; however, I loved connecting the two via USB and then sequencing the OP-1 using the “module” track (or just doubling one of the OP-Z tracks)

1 Like