Going to Tokyo/Kyoto! :D Any ideas?

Ok, so Sunday was the best audio experience of my entire life and it is a goddamn gangbuster must for anyone who is visiting here!

There is a museum called ICC and here is a link to their website:
http://www.ntticc.or.jp/en/ If you need any further help in finding drop me a message and I’ll happily oblige. In fact, I’d like to go their again as soon as possible, so maybe we could like up.

It is an ANECHOIC CHAMBER. Don’t forget it and do you very best to go. It can get busy so get there when it opens at 11. The assistants on reception are very welcoming and have great English. She will tell you where you can find it. It’s a small museum so you’ll have no trouble :slight_smile:

They also have a great installation in the children part. You play a sound on the piano and it sets off a chain of events. A fan starts to blow according to which note you pressed and a perfume bottle lid lifts off. The air comes directly to you and it is a great experience. You might have to elbow a little kid to have a go though lol

By the way, I found a photo of that murky underbelly in the center of Tokyo…

Here ya go;)

Tokyo is an amazing city -- here's a map of some favourite stuff there: http://goo.gl/maps/XRmcz

(I *definitely* recommend getting toshomen at Xi'an.. maybe it's a bit weird to eat Chinese food in Japan, but they're the best noodles I've ever had!)

I don't know if you're into video games, but Mikado arcade in Takadanobaba is the best arcade in Tokyo (IMO) -- most other places are focused on modern games (which are mostly rhythm or card-based) but Mikado is a huge place full of retro arcade games. Pretty much every 2d fighting and shooting game, plus a ton of old stuff (including some western games like Marble Madness and the vector-based Star Wars game).

Thanks a lot @raigan! Great map, by the way. Loved the little reviews - I will take some of your suggestions and put into my map.
Indeed, although is absolutelly offtopic, I never achieved to share/create a collective map in Google Maps! How did you do it?!?

It seems that you like books, like me! Did you went to somewhere where I can find fanzines or similar indie pressings?!

If you have an iPhone then there’s a few good apps that helped us find things in Kyoto and Tokyo.

Kyoto Map and Walks (by GPSmyCity)
Kyoto Map (by CITY APP)
Kyoto Rail Map Lite (by Urban Map)

Tokyo Superguide (By Superfuture Corporation) (cool lifestyle site or magazine)
TokyoArtBeat (Art Beat) Off the wall art happenings that you’d NEVER find out about without either being in the Tokyo art scene or having this app
Tokyo (Subway map by Mapway)

For both, CityMaps2Go is a great app for marking on what/where you want to see/do then using that as your daily guide or plan.
Before we went to Tokyo I got this list of a friend who worked for a couple of years for Uniqlo in Tokyo so it's kinda fashion/trendy stuff to see/do ......

TOKYO:
Shibuya:
RESTAURANTS
Narukiyo Izakaya Shibuya – make reservation and request table seated on the floor. Best asparagus and tomatoes* Entire menu
is in Japanese on a huge scroll – I ordered by pointing to what other people were eating. Super cool, traditional Japanese and
delicious
Tama – Japanese/Chinese fusion. Make a reservation or eat at the bar. Chef is awesome have him cook for you off the menu.
Trendy scene, lively, good place to meet people, tell him you know me.
Okei Sushi- Amazing sushi – seats maybe 10 do omakase
Shirube – Izakaya
Sora no Niwa – tofu near Shibuya station
Bongout Noh – Japanese Italian, wine and small plates, open kitchen
Chatei Hatou – old school drip coffee or streamer (young skater kids)
NIGHT LIFE
JBS- (on the 2
nd
floor) whole in the wall bar with famous vinyl collection run by cool old dude. International designer crowed –
cash only
Drunken Alley (Nonbei Yokocho)- old train tracks that has become an area condensed with tiny bars (sit 5-6) Some serve food,
cant go wrong all are cool. Try to find Piano Bar (super ornate maybe most famous of the bunch)
Womb- multi floor club famous for having the best sound system in the world. Electronic music, good DJs, rave (go late)
Sega Arcade- 24/7 late night intense photo booth with props. Weird games, loud Japanese pop, fun people watching
SHOPPING
109 – Young, loud shopping mall with crazy clothes, less expensive, local Japanese girls shops here
Harajuku:
STREETS
Yamashita Street – start at the top by the metro station and walk down towards Harajuku st. Young crazy are – no NY equivilant,
girls dress like dolls and talk in weird voices.
Harajuku Street – one side is vintage stores and the other side is street wear/world famous sneaker stores
All the beams stores in a row
Sneaker Stores to visit: Kicks Lab, Atmos, Undefeated, Billy’s, Chapter, ABC Mart
Laforet – must see mall on the corner of Omotessando street in Harajuku. 9 floors of eclectic and unique Japanese clothing,
accessories and random other stuff. One of the best places to shop.
North Face Standard – cool store, purple label and namamica
Human Made Store – just out side laforet – NIGOS store
BARS
Bar Bonobo – Trendy young bar with dancing and good music. Walk up to the second floor for a super trippy experience where
you can sit down barefoot with a woman who does acupuncture in your ears while you’re having cocktails. Also has outdoor
space.
RESTAURANTS
Curry Up – NIGO creator of bathing Ape Human made and Uniqlo Creative directors Curry shop.
Butter chicken is the bomb
Omotesando:
STREETS
Cat Street: Young cool shopping area – near Harajuku and more high end.
Meji Dori: Beams shops
Stores to look out for: Journal Standard, Beauty and Youth, Champion, Kids North Face, Visvim, Beams trico Field
Patagonia, Adidas originals, opening cer, r newbold
FOOD
Okonomiyaki Yai Yai – Japanese savory pancake with tables that have grills in the middle of them so that the chef can cook
pancake at your table. Also vegetarian friendly. Fun, lively, young atmosphere near Cat Street must order grapefruit shochu
even if you do not like grapefruit.

Nakameguro/Daikenyama:
NAKAMEGURO
More hipster area with great shopping and Yakitori
SHOPS
Nigel Cabourn, Mountain Research, Cow Books, J’antiques, Okura/Mother Natrure, H (Ash) – vintage clothes, walk around the
river to small boutiques
FOOD/DRINK
YAKITORI:
(skewer grilled meat and veggies)
Kushiwakamaru – whole in the wall Japanese Yakitori restaurant with English menu. Authentic, go early can be a big wait
Akira - modern Yakitori, lively atmosphere, sit on the floor *beware of raw chicken sashimi
IZAKAYA:
Tatemichiya – punk izakaya that has a super fun vibe for a night of drinking
DAIKENYAMA:
T-site : http://tsite.jp/daikanyama/store-service/tsite-en.html
(book shop, Ivy restaurant, upscale cute boutiques)
APC
Saturdays
Nanamica
Okura – very cool indigo store
Shinjuku:
SHOPS
Tokyo Hands – 9 floor Japanese lifestyle store that caries, art supplies, home goods, stationary, luggage, and lots of weird things
Lunime 1, Lumine 2, Lumine 3- three malls by Shinjuku station that are some how connected. Start at Lumine 3, then Lumine 1
Lumine 2 is less good.
Isetan – Japanese Barneys – awesome contemporary floor of small designers and labels I have never heard of
NIGHTLIFE
Golden Gai – 6 blocks condensed with over 200 tiny bars and restaurants that barely can fit 6-8 people – if even. Super intimate
Japanese drinking and dining experience- must go
Park Hyatt Tokyo – where lost in translation is filmed – great for just drinks or dinner
Ginza:
SHOPS
Uniqlo Flagship, Dover Street Market, Sushi by Gari if you can get a reservation

TSUKIJI FISH MARKET
- early AM daily tuna auction at the biggest fish market in the world. (Go before 4 AM - free experience but max capacity is 60
ppl per day. After auction (can also skip auction) go to any restaurant for amazing sushi. Get a tasting menu + add fatty fatty
tuna. Many pottery stores, most shops and restaurants in this area are cash only
FOOD
- Shabusen (beef or pork dinner shabu-shabu)
Bond Street– Whiskey Cigar bar – very cool but radio is better. Next to Dover street 2
nd
or 3
rd
floor
Aoyama:
ARCHITECTURE/FASHION
- Prada, Comme de Garcon, Yoji, ect.
- Pool Ayoama super cool shop on an old converted pool. Very cool
FOOD/DRINK
- Seasonally on Sat/Sun – fresh local food, can eat lunch here too
- 246 Common – outdoor market
- Higashiya – traditional Japanese snacks (mocha, rice crackers) beautiful packaging
- drinks at Tunnel – fun / good music
- Radio – old school establishment, excellent cocktails, one of the oldest if not the oldest bar in Tokyo – Must go AWESOME
Ebisu/Meguru:
FOOD/DRINK
- Casbar – members only late night bar, hangout for fashion/design scene
- Trench – small dark cozy whole serving high end cocktails
SHOPS Kapital - 3 are all together near by.
Kamakura:
DAY TRIP
- Smaller closer version of Kyoto (45 min by train approx. cost of transportation 25$) Traditional Japanese experience – opposite
of Tokyo
- Spiritual experience, monks, temples dating back to 12
th
century, zen gardens, bamboo forests, hike through mountain, walk
through cave in mountain for ice cream and beer, giant Buddha statue
- Allow entire and full day

I came across Korgs chief head designer’s guide to synthesizer shops both new and vintage the other day… https://www.airbnb.com/things-to-do/insider-guidebook/408?source=p1&currentTab=all_tab

I came across Korgs chief head designer's guide to synthesizer shops both new and vintage the other day... https://www.airbnb.com/things-to-do/insider-guidebook/408?source=p1¤tTab=all_tab

That’s awesome!

Dammit, you guys are making me want to visit Japan!