Has anyone tried to mod the op-z hardware into a custom box with mechanical switches?

Whatever the quality of its gear, TE has some high quality community. :stuck_out_tongue:
And this is some point where your contribution actually matters.
So please, let’s keep it like this and stay courteous.

In this very particular thread, I would suggest to give actual clues on how to proceed (or why it would not be a good idea) rather than antagonizing each other.

Thank you for your understanding.

3 Likes

Look, I was not talking to you in particular, I might should have made this clear.

But now, I am: if you really don’t care, please don’t feel the need to give your advice.
Read the guidelines: they are pretty clear about what a respectful and positive contribution is. Which is mostly what this community is all about.

3 Likes

value of op-z depends on its user.
if i could, i would have mine made out of pure gold. and pay a fair price for it.
talking about customization;
lets obtain original op-z CAD files. so that its possible to order custom CNC parts made out or cool materials, like tungsten, titanium, brass, ceramic, wood and glow in the dark :drooling_face:. than transfer original electronics into a new body.

3 Likes

Ok but this forum is pretty Dead, I believe because of all the negatively about the device… It is depressing when there’s is a new post every week… And usually it is to complain about builds… it gets old.

Calling haters to other forum members who had no luck with OP-Z also doesn’t help the good atmosphere in the community, I don’t have to share your particular point of view from the point you mention in this thread, the same way you do, you don’t have to share mine, but I speak to you with the politeness that each user here deserves. In fact I was not going to participate in this thread until you called us haters, which I’m not, I enjoy a lot with other TE products, so bye, this thread is over for me.

1 Like

They do hate the opz though… What do you want me to call them? Lovers with some scalding critiques?

Dont call them anything.
Share your own point of view, your feelings or why you like/dislike the beast, with all the positivity you can output.
Might be the best way to improve a discussion, and actually have some influence on others’ opinion.

Anyway… I like the idea of an OP-Z in a metal case :thinking:

7 Likes

I think it’s pretty consistent to have two points of view:

1. To really like the idea of the op-z especially the way the sequencer works and to love the workflow and the form factor.

2. To be really upset that it is so fragile, bends, double trigs, op-z module not fitting and requiring a second revision with no recall and to be really upset at TE’s attitude in not acknowledging and resolving these issues (ie recall and resolve the issues) - especially given the cost - which is not inconsiderable.

I think it is really unfair to characterise those who are deeply irritated at TE or those who criticise the quality of the OP-Z as “haters”.

2 Likes

What upsets me most is not hearing people complaining for YEARS, but that TE does not give a s*it about it…

Here is my thing, sure you can complain all you want… Intel swedish meatballs fall from the sky… but just go watch the TE new computer case review, or any of the analog synth reviews of TE… or ANY OTHER TE review period… and you will find the same thing, people will say the build quality is garbage, crap… Yes even the beloved op1 for the most part…
This is hardly anything new…
Ok, so now go look at all those products on the TE store… I can tell you at the very least 80% will be sold out… even old products.
They are doing quite well, they make huge profits because they have very low product cost to offset very low product numbers. It is a formula that works for them, it is like they read the Buchla business playbook and copied it one for one… same thing… have products that are incredibly different, eye catching, and innovative and people will want them even if they are made very cheap… not that Buchla is made cheap but for the price they are not close to even standard in the industry.
So I think we can all agree this is a dispicable way of doing business for consumers… greedy and sleazy…
Yet we all foam at the mouth for both companies products over other stuff… don’t lie!!! At least I admit my faults and look myself in the mirror… not pretend fighting for them to change somehow makes me a better person… I’m a dirty little consumer that is unreasonable and vain myself… I see magic in this stuff and crappy builds are just part of it…
So anyway all that to say, don’t pretend like you didn’t know what you were buying… I’m as disgusted by it as you but we all could see this coming… I don’t faulty anyone for complaining, but I think we should be honest in the context.

3 Likes

I agree with you, that formula is working for them, so no reason to expect anything different. Maybe we love their products so much that we wish they were perfect…

Yes I do too… it is a shame. Life goes on though we will live. I have a retro live 2 and a digitone keys for better built groove machine, but they don’t have near the personality. I love my opz most!!

IMO a hater would not complain, just return or sell it, or throw it away. People who complain about the build issues have valid points and most continue to use the device, in spite of the double trigs etc.

Back on topic, I did consider looking into getting a new top assembly with serviceable buttons made, someone like PCB Way can make flex pcbs and also housings, but it would probably mean either sending the too assembly or providing the design files. The connector is a standard off the shelf type. But without destructive removal of the flex PCB (because of the melted plastic instead of serviceable fasteners) it is not something I am yet prepared to do.

If I do in the future I will post about it here.

3 Likes

I wonder if the module connector could be used to break out the entire interface. If that’s so it would be possible to build an alternative enclosure without taking the unit apart at all.