Hocus Pocus: Teenage Engineering mysterious new product

It’s a portable speaker.

Can’t be an ordinary portable speaker. Six years in development?

1 Like

I’m excited for the speaker- for sure it’s going to have some unique functionality. Everyone was previously yelling about opz having wireless connectivity to a speaker, don’t know why everyone is so down on this

Temp and h20 stable “ field “ recorder with line i/o and playback + BT connectivity ? I’d be into that.

3 Likes

Further and further they fall away from what makes them a great company… TE is breaking my heart these days… I was so sure they wouldn’t turn into elektron… Boy was I wrong… They are even worse now…

Full specs tho…it’s nice, like a Frekvens Pro.
here’s the pixelated Qualcomm chip.

love how the managers name is Iceman Hu
badass
guess u can’t overlook Seven Wang either lol

Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 4.00.22 PM

5 Likes

Poor Ring Yang did all the hard work and get not praises!

5 Likes

Poor n00b Ring had to do all the grunt work whilst Chad Iceman Hu gets all the praises

#teamringyang :star_struck:

1 Like

Here is my guess : Yes, it is a portable speaker — but it can synchronize with an array of other speakers to create pop-up event an concert in the wild (which could be confirmed by all the outdoor pictures). I worked on a similar project as a designer but struggled a lot with the technology, but I am pretty sure that TE had the ressources and time (6 years) to make such a thing.

I might be wrong though :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

it’s definitely the Pro version of the Frekvens line, communicating wirelessly and syncing for Stereo or Quadraphonic listening experience.

it’s Great and i doubt it’s like 299/349

it’s so crazy that stuff gets leaked so fast these days. like 1h after the initial post everything was there on Reddit.

maybe „Tape„ is for recording your Inputs to the speakers memory.

if you accidentally run into a jam session or DJ gig and wanna recall everything at home

2 Likes

…and maybe due to its size there’s a massive battery compartment for all your externals…

1 Like

Eureka. It’s a theremin.

You beat me to it :joy:

1 Like

You may be right: there are two independent BT controllers in there, one from Qualcomm and another from Nordic, thus the dual antenna. I think the Qualcomm is used for streaming the stereo audio, given the chip specification (QCC3007), so maybe the Nordic is used for device coordination.

Also, it has 4GB of flash memory, so it can’t be just a portable BT speaker…

1 Like

4gb of Tape

2 Likes

8 tracks :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Do you think this kind of syncing is what “spider-jack”, “spider-top”, “spider-led” would refer to printed on some of the boards?

It is curious that in TE picture we can only find one pixelated area… would the “spider” mean multiple mobile phones streaming to the new product?