How many times have you bought an OP-1?

I’ve previously bought and sold 2 since since 2015 and at some point since also went thru a digitakt, op-z, deluge. now back and onto my 3rd and final OP-1 which will be a keeper. imo nothing comes close to being as fun or spontaneous as this thing. So much more than it appears.

7 Likes

Twice. First one in 2014, sold it like a dummy (along with the Oplab which is hard to find now). Second one, about three weeks ago. Also just got op-z which is fully documented in this forum (there you can watch as I go through an epic, emotional, and ridiculous display of self-induced, unnecessary stress).

Does it count if I bought two without selling one?

One new, one used. Oddly, I don’t use them together as much as I thought I would. One tends to stay cabled into the gear in my office, and the other one is the one that goes around the house and further afield with me.

3 Likes

@rabc Off-topic, but that is a great photo. Did you take that?

1 Like

yeh mate cheers! afternoon sun created the larger than life shadow which was so appropriate

1 Like

Bought 2, sold 2.
I sure have a love/ hate relationship with this awesome little machine.
1 at one was about 5 years ago and got it brand new on sale for $680. Got frustrated with some of its quirks and traded it for some gear and cash.
2nd one, I bought for for about the same price but this one was beat up and well used and in need of some repairs. I repair OP-1 and other synths on the side.
This one I used for quite some time but with the prices going up and an opportunity to buy an Arturia Matrixbrute for $1000, I sold the OP-1 to basically pay for the Matrixbrute in full.
At some point I’m sure I will probably end up with another one. But the price is a little unsubstantiated IMHO YMMV.
If I come across one around the same price I paid for the first 2 it would be a no brainer.
But hard to see seeing paying well over 1k.
Do miss it though. But the Deluge has filled most of that void and in some aspects over shadowed it.
I feel like sound design on the OP-1 is what I miss the most.

1 Like

Haha I’ve got the exact same xp as your post. Bought two, kept two. One new, other 2ndhand. Dont use them together very much but enjoy the choice (and extra memory slots, sequencers, tape).
Two is a blast together though :musical_keyboard::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::musical_keyboard:

1 Like

Hey did you have a good fix for the dodgy power switch when fixing them?

Sometimes it can be as simple as resoldering the switch on the inside. But the ultimate fix is new I/O board.

PM if you need more help.

1 Like

Thanks fellow ,appreciated.

Just saw a posting on Instagram yesterday: https://www.instagram.com/p/CA5lLl1hUxO/

1 Like

Same count here: 3

• bought the first one used and sold it some years ago but missed it instantly.
  • then bought one new sold by amazon (but the display is different from my first one (dimmed visuals are barely visible)
  • bought another one used, as a backup when I was thinking on sending my other one in for repair (but did not do it, because i dont think that it is fixable or even recognized as a failure)

Hey thanks alot for that much appreciated buddy.

Well… Now I’m on my 3rd, lol.
I posted above a while back I sold my 2nd one for a Matrixbrute. I just sold the Matrixbrute to buy back my 3rd OP-1!
I have to say that i have used the OP-1 already in my songs and sketches than I did with the Matrixbrute the whole time I had it.

Sound design is so much quicker and instantaneous on the OP-1. And really time us of the essence when writing music. I want to spend more time writing music and less time tweaking knobs for hours.

Gotta weight things out objectively and see what is really moving you along to help finish tracks abs get you inspired.

Ymmv, just my 2 cents

1 Like

I’ve bought 4. This last round I ended up with two but had to sell one of them. Like I’ve said so many times before, I’m not letting this one go, ever… :rofl:

2 Likes

I’ve previously owned 4 (Definitely) but there might have been a 5th. Ridiculous!

Anyway, I’m about to get 2 more, as I’ve always used dual Op-1 setups. I can even see myself getting a few more to keep for the future, in case of damage, theft etc. There’s absolutely nothing currently out there that could replace them for me. So much so that I’m currently gearless and fine about it. It’s given me a wonderful break and opportunity to collect my thoughts and to write/plan Op-1 projects.

Life changes and realisations due to my mum dying back in December have led me back to the Op-1. And apart from a handful of fx pedals the Op-1s will be my only instruments.

But this time round, after 34 years of buying gear and making music, If I don’t finally manage to do what I’ve spent most of my life planning then I think I’ll call it day.

That said, it’s no problem whatsoever to pack the little fella away for a rainy day. I’m one of those all or nothing types. Can go from a room full of gear to selling absolutely everything. And I’ve done that multiple times over those 34 years.

But either way, I’m very excited and hopeful.

2 Likes

I just got my second after selling mine a few years ago. I love it and will never get rid of it again. Learned my lesson, there is no replacing the OP1. Also, I ordered an OB4 to accompany it.

2 Likes

twice
(just got my 2nd one this week)

i’ve always liked using tape in my workflow: cassette decks with pitch control, portable minidisc player, and even the way i approach most DAWs has been informed by treating the app like a virtual tape machine

so my interest in op1 was a logical step once i could afford it

both of mine have been secondhand and i might have tried repurchasing sooner if prices hadn’t skyrocketed in the intervening 5 years!

perhaps unlike some here, i was pretty happy using other tools until opz came along…it reminded me of the magic possible w/ te devices and i think it was only been a matter of time before i bought another z or op1

the final nudge (which made me totally reevaluate my needs) came with addition of usb audio i/o on the new firmware

unwanted noise was the main reason i sold it before & with that nuisance eliminated i decided to dive back in again

1 Like

I bought it three times!

I’m on my second OP-1. I sold my first to buy a Machinedrum, which I stupidly sold to buy an Octatrack. I love the OT but given how expensive second hand MDs are getting these days I should have held on to it!

Hopefully my current OP-1 is a forever machine. I’ve never had another device where random dicking around can lead to a track so quickly.

Ha, I borrowed a friend’s Matrixbrute for a while because he wanted me to make 256 patches for him. I got to 128 before I got super burned out. It’s an amazing synth, but so overwhelming.

1 Like