How to secure an OP-1 on gigs?

The OP-1 is tiny and very expensive. So tiny, that when I play live I use to carry it around with me all the time - like after and before soundcheck, when around the club and so on. I do never leave it alone as I’m worried that someone might steal it.

Is there something like a Kensington lock for the OP-1? How do you guys handle this? Do you also just carry it with you, do you trust everyone or use another method to secure your OP-1? Looking forward to any tips, thanks a lot in advance!

Cheers, Tim

Well it has those 2 holes in the corners which you could fit a wire through. Just have to hope someone doesn’t have a pair of pliers. You could also use the mounting holes on the bottom with some kind of stand that restricts the ability to unscrew them without a key.

I’ve always left it setup on stage with my other gear after soundcheck, then when I finish playing I pack everything up straight away and leave it all in a peli case until I leave the venue…

If the venue feels a bit dodgy or whatever, then I tend to stay nearby my gear… But generally most places I’ve felt pretty relaxed about leaving stuff on stage.

I always try and get to know the sound person too, as they hopefully will be around setting up and keeping an eye on things :slight_smile:

Op1 is velcro taped on the stagepiano beside other small synths.

When I worked for our college IT dept, we had a lot of theft of computers.
The Kensington lock hole is worthless. The thieves would simply yank or pry the cable right out of the hole. Sometimes they could even do it with minimal damage to the computer.
What worked is a sheet metal panel with double-sided tape and a steel cable with loop for locking it to the desks.
The panels can be bought in various sizes. Larger = more surface area = harder to tear off.
Now, these were not designed to be removed, ever, so this may not be a good choice for you. Double-sided tape can be removed, but it’s a pain. The way I do it is cut the foam backing in half with a razor, then remove the metal panel to expose the remaining tape. Some heat from a hair dryer makes it easier to peel the remaining tape off. Takes a while, but that’s why it works.

The other option is to lock it in a box or case that is itself hard to steal. It might even be possible to cut holes in the box/case for cables.

If it were me, I’d probably figure out a way to clamp it to a pedalboard or flip-open case.

There are two machine-screw holes in the back. If you use a pair of screws with eyelets, and then run a cable through those, then you can’t unscrew them without unlocking the cable.