Hypothetical OP-1 expansion wish list

Hi Guys,

I need some ideas for a hardware expansion device for the op-1

wishlist features so far-

Bluetooth audio in and out
wifi data, saving / loading patches, songs, tracks
Midi in / out ports.
saving / loading patches, songs, tracks from SD card.

can you guys think of anything else that could be added to this Hypothetical expansion device.

I can make this happen

I would love some sort of fuzz/distortion, inside or outside the box. The midi would be pretty fancy, too.

I would love some sort of fuzz/distortion, inside or outside the box. The midi would be pretty fancy, too.

so additional effects?

“Midi in / out ports.
saving / loading patches, songs, tracks from SD card.”

Yep, those…+ user sample library.

And if possible some new fx as mentioned above. Tape sim/amp sim/fuzz/more filters/lofi etc…

I don’t know why there isn’t any form of distortion. That is pretty much the most simple effect to design.

expanded midi in control. (i wanna control tape transport controls with foot pedals fcb1010)

fuzz- analog beefs up synthy stuff. I often just play my op1 like an instrument need cut through leads etc…

in/out audio IO for effects loops

USB auto backup so I can wipe my op1 and make more music. but still save the tracks on the go.

saving / loading </span><span style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-size: 13.3333px; vertical-align: baseline; color: rgb(37, 38, 30); background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);">patches, songs, tracks

+1

give me the ideas and I will make this happen

More effects are definitely welcome, but a Fuzz/Distortion specifically would be fantastic.

• Battery powered
  • USB Host with Hub support and customizeable routing for class compliant devices
  • Patch & tape backup and restore w/ some form of annotation, not just date+time
give me the ideas and I will make this happen

Would help if you gave more of an idea of what is potentially possible/what’s realistic? And a hypothetical price/size/power source etc. Otherwise in theory you could add anything… 64 Step sequencer. Drum pads. Ribbon controller. Multi-fx with memory bank. Arpeggio with memory bank. X/y pad. Octatrack style Scene fader with memory bank. Etc etc… Let us know what kind of thing you’re aiming at and we can all get on the same page and help each other out :wink: Something like this could be amazing tho. Hope you get there :wink:

Most of what i’d request has been said, but aesthetically it would need to fit in with the op-1 look.

Most of what i’d request has been said, but aesthetically it would need to fit in with the op-1 look.
If by “fit in” you mean “as cohesively designed as” then I’d agree but I’d personally be happier if it would not look like an OP-1 afterthought.

What would be neat though is if it fit the OP-1 in dimensions. I’d be in love if it could double as an OP-1 cover, i.e. fit on top of the OP-1, leave spaces for the knobs, be at least as thick as the knobs are high. But that would probably make it too closely related to the OP-1 which it does not have to be.

If the idea is to create an extension to the OP-1 connectivity would be my main interest. For everything else like new Synth Engines or FX I can already get other, dedicated hardware with more than just a “nice to have” appeal.

• Saving Sequences.
    - Some weird way to Rename patches from Snapshot would be awesome.
    - Special discount price for Operator - 1 forum members.

Agree with @Callofthevoid about knowing the parameters we’re operating within here. My view is that any expansion needs a focus rather than just a whole list of features. I think something along the lines of an expansion to Tape would be a good starting point. You could have the ability to chain sequences together, an increase in the number of Tape tracks and provide send and insert effects on Tape tracks. This could include what’s already been suggested i.e. audio in/out, MIDI and the ability to save/export everything.

It is not possible to expand the OP-1 firmware in any way. You could add a USB host based solution to save/restore presets, MIDI in/out, etc, but it would be limited to what it is already possible to do when using a PC. Audio in/out would be limited to what is already possible with external effects / sound generation devices.

This has inspired me, possibly, to putter around with my Axolotis more. Could do some basic stuff along these lines with those boards.

Unfortunately the nature of the outputs on the OP-1 limits this a bit unless multiple effects were in a specific order. And still, you probably don’t want too gnarly of a distortion in the “master bus” hehe. But a delay chained into a reverb could be cool (and mostly beyond the Axoloti’s memory I believe). Or vice versa. Think along the lines of some guitar multifx that have a premade chain of effects, but if any are digital they’d be easy to reconfigure. Analog would be switches to change where they are, of course. Of course data saving.

But a MIDI sequencer could be done. A sampler and mixer could tuck multiple tracks onto one. A battery to keep both units going for a long time. Oddly I envisioned a sort of cradle, the OP-1 is laid into it and slides right, locking into the ports, and then a hinged piece closes down on the left to keep it from moving. A lip on either side to keep it secure in X and Z axis, Y from the cradle itself. Then controls up top. Just a vision that came to me.

Yeah save/recall and standard midi would be cool. And this could be done in a lightweight unit that just clipped underneath like KrisM mentioned. If aiming for more then sky (or size :wink: is the limit I guess. Could even add more synths/samplers in theory, obviously they’d be outside the OP screen/OS. But would be the same as using OP-1 keys to play Ipad synths/fx/samplers via USB midi etc, which can be a pretty powerful/deep combo. I’d say juts add as much as you can until it starts feeling too unstreamlined/disjointed or potentially problematic :wink:

• Battery powered
  • USB Host with Hub support and customizeable routing for class compliant devices
  • Patch & tape backup and restore w/ some form of annotation, not just date+time

do like this idea, will look into this.

32x