In depth OP-Z Music Sequencer Tutorial

It seems pretty frustrating that you can have patterns that are longer than one bar, but only if you don’t use the step sequencer. I get it – they have sub-step triggers which lets this behaviour work – but I wish they actually let you spread those across 64 steps (with 1/4 as many sub-steps) instead of forcing it to be just 16.

Still seems amazingly fun though!
It seems pretty frustrating that you can have patterns that are longer than one bar, but only if you don't use the step sequencer. I get it -- they have sub-step triggers which lets this behaviour work -- but I wish they actually let you spread those across 64 steps (with 1/4 as many sub-steps) instead of forcing it to be just 16.

Yeah, I think this might be a real deal breaker for some people. If it had a “page” button (e.g. like on the Octatrack) it could retain the step sequenced feel, and individual steps could be nudged/adjusted/quant’d.

This looks awesome. Like the ultimate step between OP and PO's. Depending on the cv/midi implementation this could be a really legitimate competitor to Elektron gear (as a master sequencer I mean, still lots of other differences)

I really wonder how they will integrate this with OP1, as it would be a shame to have all these p-locks (that are colour-coded) and not have the ability to at least sequence OP1 drums and synths simultaneously. To make this work, the OP1 would have to made multi-timbral though.

OR OR OR

Maybe there is a multi-timbral synth (OP2? OPX?) in the works. I would guess it would be synth-only, without a screen and no sequencers, and will require the OPZ to sequence it. Same size as OPZ so they will be companion devices: OPZ - master sequencer with some sounds, tape, then the OPX - full synth with bigger keys, velocity, aftertouch, mod and pitch controls. Announced at NAMM 2018. OP1 will be discontinued, and the combo of OPZ and OPX will be slightly higher price than the OP1.

You heard it here first people.

Very imaginative <3 could be.

I’m pretty stoked to simply be able to create cool sequences on the opz and then move them to the op1… I’d imagine a simple line in will be the way,. But I could imagine some kind of USB connectivity??? If we have sync, then that’s a plus… But imagine file transfer? You can export / import via your puter USB, so it seems possible to me that file transfer via op1/z would be possible… Any kind of 1-z connectivity will be a plus for me, but I guess it doesn’t need it to still be a sweet combo.

It seems pretty frustrating that you can have patterns that are longer than one bar, but only if you don't use the step sequencer. I get it -- they have sub-step triggers which lets this behaviour work -- but I wish they actually let you spread those across 64 steps (with 1/4 as many sub-steps) instead of forcing it to be just 16.

Maybe it will do this too? Maybe not :’( either way, I’m aiming to embrace the limitations.

Great clip. The chords of po-20 were one of my favorite features. Love how they blew that out. Beatmaking gets way more musical. So rad if it can bring that to my other gear via CV/Midi

incredible. can’t wait to get my hands on the unit. you’re doing the lord’s work cuckoo

Thanks @cuckoo for the great vid. It’s fascinating to watch the evolution of TE’s design philosophy. It’s a must buy for me, but what’s going to make it or break it is how it interfaces with the outside world. Traditionally that’s been the weak link in TE’s products, but I hope they have learnt from their mistakes. With a comprehensive MIDI and cv support, it would be awesome.

Maybe it will do this too? Maybe not :’( either way, I’m aiming to embrace the limitations.

just start another pattern?

@vehka, agree completely.

Thanks for the video. Well done. I am glad you don’t need a screen to get so much of out it since I don’t have one :wink:
I know its a prototype you have but what is that powerswitch like? I hope its solid. It’s the first thing to give up on my op-1 and I know some others on here have had the same issue.

Regarding the step limit, at least the preview info states this:

"settings go all the way down to one sixteenth of normal speed or incredible 256 programable steps on one single track"

Not sure if that contradicts the features that @cuckoo was showing?
Regarding the step limit, at least the preview info states this:

"settings go all the way down to one sixteenth of normal speed or incredible 256 programable steps on one single track"

Not sure if that contradicts the features that @cuckoo was showing?

Jonas told me the way to get more steps was to record it live. I don’t know if there’s another way to type in sub steps. It would be very useful! No doubt.

... what's going to make it or break it is how it interfaces with the outside world. ... With a comprehensive MIDI and cv support, it would be awesome.

They’ve got it covered. Final specs and stuff announced sometimes closer to release. There’s a reason I’m/ they’re not showing the back of the unit yet. It’s still under development. :wink:

The whole master chord musical transpose thing is something that I’ve been wanting to implement in something for a long while. I’m glad they’re doing it. Now I can put that project to rest! The feature I’m most excited about!

The whole master chord musical transpose thing is something that I've been wanting to implement in something for a long while. I'm glad they're doing it. Now I can put that project to rest! The feature I'm most excited about!

This!!! So great. It’s my favorite thing about the sequencer in my Arturia Keystep, and one of the reasons I like to route it to my OP-1. But the OP-Z seems to have a waaaaaay more robust transposition set up. Love that you can choose which tracks it gets applied to.

The whole master chord musical transpose thing is something that I've been wanting to implement in something for a long while. I'm glad they're doing it. Now I can put that project to rest! The feature I'm most excited about!

This!!! So great. It’s my favorite thing about the sequencer in my Arturia Keystep, and one of the reasons I like to route it to my OP-1. But the OP-Z seems to have a waaaaaay more robust transposition set up. Love that you can choose which tracks it gets applied to.

Makes me raise my eyebrows when peeps seem non-plussed at the opz… I’m like “did we just watch the same video?”…

Makes me raise my eyebrows when peeps seem non-plussed at the opz… I’m like “did we just watch the same video?”…

Agreed. Not sure what it is… some folks struggle projecting possibilities, I think… Or, they just like poo-poohing stuff on the internet, because, internet? Doesn’t matter. I’m saving my $$ for this deceptively awesome funmachine.

Watched the video again. Still not really feeling the tiny ‘keys’. But yeah, def a pretty fun looking box. Killer portability. Comes down to price. If it’s around korg electribe prices then sweet. If it’s around MPC live prices then no chance.

Wow, thanks for the video. Lots of potential there. Hoping it’s affordable.

I was skeptical after NAMM based on the amount they focused on video stuff (I get it – no one else is doing video synth stuff like this). But after seeing this, I am very excited again. To me, the POs are great little idea pads but fairly limited in what you can do. The OP-Z seems to capture the fun of the POs but couple it with the ability to create a full track like the OP-1. I can imagine creating an entire idea, and then just recording individual parts into Ableton for final editing.

17494445_1982030922027458_8569837331920453632_n