Is the Digitakt my next machine?

Axoloti core is your next purchase

haha yes, I’ve been very close from buying this a few months ago!

OK op-1 into axoloti going into digitakt for you it is then :wink:

Do you have an axoloti? How are you using it with the op1. Im not a programmer so i have to resort to the free patches on the library but most of the time i am clueless as to what they do.

I got the axocontrol to but only seen a few patches for it that are usable.

Yes I do have an axoloti. I am using it as an effects processor at the moment, I was a nord modular (mkI) user but it become unusable even under nmedit and things happening in my life etc. The library is enough for my purposes to be honest and I have been to translate my patches or ideas fairly well into axoloti well. I’m just transcribing stuff at the moment inaccurately but learning along the way.

The only programming I have done is in python but I don;t see it as musically related. I don’t think there is need with this to be honest. Beside the casing. It is a (great fantastic even!) standalone bit of gear. I haven’t even tried the sample side of things yet.

it’s a balance between nerdiness and aesthetics. Time gone patching or making something passable for the now.Where do you stand? lol. It’s all good just make sure to tape it all for us to listen to!

The DT is a very inspiring box and your next purchase @lefilou. No point putting it off. :smiley:

DONE!

@lefilou you can assign different samples, or you can assign parts of the same sample to each of the trigs and change them as you like - the only thing DT hasn't got is automatic slicing - you see people complain a lot about that - personally it doesn't bother me.

Well that’s great! Same here, never used automatic slicing either, always manual.

Do you feel like the 64MB ram fill up easily within the same project?
Thanks

DT doesnt have slicing at all I thought? Not in any kind of convenient/traditional sense anyway… Maybe they added it since I last checked it out?

@callofthevoid no slicing whatsoever - you just select a start and end and save it as a sample, then repeat. I mean I see being able to go back to the original sample after cropping and saving a section of it, as slicing. It’s not slice-markers, definitely. But the trigs are chromatic - I find that of higher value actually.

DONE!

Good lad. Can’t wait to hear what you do with it, love your SP and OP1 vids.

Sounds kinda tedious workflow/a needless dark ages limitation to me but guess everyone has different workflow/needs different stuff/likes different environments. Would personally drive me insane to have to eat up all 8 tracks just to live record a beat using 8 slices… On a £600 sampler… + I feel like I’d be a lot less likely to find happy accidents with so little food on the plate to try different combinations on my fork :wink: Slicing on OT and Op1 always bring nice surprise sound combos/juxtaposition super fast. And in BM3 you have that same kind of feast but it’s way better laid out, it’s all in front of you. Throw 128 samples in to a bank and they’re all there in front of you on 2 pages of 64 pads. And you can also slice each of those 128 samples/pads however you like and play each one as slices, or chromatic with polyphony, with loop points and fwd/bwd/fwd loop options and timestrech etc… I’m stumbling on amazing stuff every session, on par with my OT and Op1 for ‘Dang, didn’t see that coming’ :slight_smile:

And can do this across on 128 banks… 128 banks of 128 samples… The convenience and possibilities are insane! But can see how it might be way overkill for certain styles/genres.

Not saying DT isn’t capable or fun/nice to use. Just still haven’t seen/heard anything that convinces me that these old limitations everyone used to moan about (or feature request) are suddenly a good thing. Each to their own tho :slight_smile:

Typically you don’t use a track per slice but use triggers to use a different slice per step.

e.g.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHZj-F0fgUI

Reminds me of my Octamed days.
Sounds kinda tedious workflow/a needless dark ages limitation to me but guess everyone has different workflow/needs different stuff/likes different environments. Would personally drive me insane to have to eat up all 8 tracks just to live record a beat using 8 slices.... On a £600 sampler..

you can use 1 track and have each trig set to a different sample slot, you can mangle them realtime, and you can recall the pattern to initial state, also you can hook up a random LFO to control the sample number, and still get variation with just one track. trig conditions + sample changes also allow you even further variation. and you’re still left with 7 other voices.

@hangar64 and @eesn thanks for making it even clearer that it was. I can’t wait to try this all out!

Typically you don't use a track per slice but use triggers to use a different slice per step.

e.g.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHZj-F0fgUI

Reminds me of my Octamed days.

Looks like a really painful process tbh… I’m a fan of trig conditions from my AK. Just baffles me how/why Elektron seem to make the hard stuff easy and the easy stuff hard.

Trig conditions are the main selling point for DT for me. Would love them on my OT or in BM3. I don’t really need them so much in BM3 tho, no pattern length limit so variation is easy…

Sounds kinda tedious workflow/a needless dark ages limitation to me but guess everyone has different workflow/needs different stuff/likes different environments. Would personally drive me insane to have to eat up all 8 tracks just to live record a beat using 8 slices.... On a £600 sampler..

In that context, I totally agree with you. This is a workflow difference. I’ve never live-recorded a beat into the thing… always programmed. Damn sax players getting sequencers. I generally use a kick, snare, hat, perc, all in 3 tracks. That gives me the other 5 for melodic blips, and randomness.

@lefilou I think you’ll have a great time with it. enjoy!

Someone really needs to make a kick ass controller for the IPAD…Imagine something like Maschine running off the ipad