Just bought an OP-1. Hardware quality control, is my unit defected?

Hi Everyone,

I’m new here, just registered.

Bought an OP-1 new yesterday, already love the thing. Quickly filling up my tape :smiley:

BUT!

My unit has a small problem, the volume know when turned is slightly off center, it doesn’t rub against the case, and if it does it’s ever so slight. But you can clearly see as you turn it that the gap on the right side disappears.

Now I am thinking I should be taking this back to the store to exchange it for one that doesn’t have an off-center volume pot, I am just concerned it will cause problems in the future. I don’t want the volume knob to fail.

I also have the graphics glitch in the DNA synth, but FW fixes that afaik.

On the plus side, the unit seems very good other than that, one thing is that it doesn’t have the high pitch whine many OP1 users mention. Don’t know if this is fixed in current models or is still and issue.

What would you do in my situation? Is it a good idea to exchange.
The OP-1 cost $1400 in my country so it is a big chunk of money for something that has a fault like this out of the box!

This seems to me more of a cosmetic problem, I bet it’s just the axis of the plastic knob that’s off-center. To be sure, pop the knob and check the pot below.

This seems to me more of a cosmetic problem, I bet it's just the axis of the plastic knob that's off-center. To be sure, pop the knob and check the pot below.
Thanks Motone, Pot below seems a bit crooked. Cap looks fine.

@monotone

Thanks so much! After your post I went and pulled the volume pot off my Digitakt and swapped them. You were right. The OP volume pot is wonky on the Digitakt and the Digitakt volume pot is fine on the OP1!

So I’m going to call the store and see if they will swap the pot off their demo unit or order me a replacement.

Update…

Went back to the shop today with my OP-1. Their demo unit and another unit the salesman opened while I was there both had off center volume pots. Looks like a defect across the entire batch.
Sales rep is contacting the TE distributer to see if they can get replacements, will update.

I doubt they’ll do anything about this, I’ve had two OP-1s and they both had something weird. One of the piano buttons didn’t click down properly (that one went back) and one had a different/weird click feel on the “3” button below the screen. I just kept that one, I’ve seen a lot of people with offcentre volumeknobs on here, including me.

I doubt they'll do anything about this, I've had two OP-1s and they both had something weird. One of the piano buttons didn't click down properly (that one went back) and one had a different/weird click feel on the "3" button below the screen. I just kept that one, I've seen a lot of people with offcentre volumeknobs on here, including me.

Frustratingly if I put another knob on it (eg the Digitakt volume knob) it is perfectly straight. Bad quality control on the knobs at TE I guess?

Thanks a lot. Now I check my vol knob from a year ago, and of course, it’s off centre. Oh well, haha. Not actually bothered. Never noticed it before.