LFO shape explanation

Can anyone explain the meaning of synth LFO shapes, i.e. free and trig? The visualisation goes from a triangle to a square and again to a triangle.

Trig re-triggers the waveform for every note. Free doesn’t.

@zer0_0ne said:
Can anyone explain the meaning of synth LFO shapes, i.e. free and trig? The visualisation goes from a triangle to a square and again to a triangle.

Have you updated to 1.1.17? Because since I did that the retrigger mode doesn’t work anymore…

It seems to only half work now. It retriggers if you play slowly, but for some reason fast notes don’t retrigger the LFO…?

@pselodux said:
It seems to only half work now. It retriggers if you play slowly, but for some reason fast notes don’t retrigger the LFO…?

yup, same here. although haven’t used the pior firmware.

Hey, just stumbled upon the same thing (on 1.2.8). Is this a bug?

When sequencing, the envelope seems to retrigger correctly. When playing directly via internal keyboard, it fails to do so.

Addition: I just reported this strange behaviour to TE. With a bit of luck, there might be a fix in the next update.

1 Like

I’ve been wondering about this since the beginning; LFO retrig has never worked as expected for me. I’m assuming it should trigger the wave on keypress or trigger, but maybe it’s just starting from the zero point and either going up or down from there?

Well yes … it is supposed to always start from the beginning of the LFO waveform when set to »TRIG«.
For me, this works fine for the notes that are on the grid of the sequencer. But if I manually play notes to preview my sound, the setting seems to be ignored.

Indeed, it seems not to work when you are playing live

TE just responded to the report:

I am really thankful for the quick response and honesty of their answer. Since my workflow mostly contains of programmed patterns and not so often playing the OP-Z synths live, I can totally live with the current way things are handled by the device.

The fact that they’re thinking about improving this is good to hear, though.

2 Likes

I think I just discovered this for myself on the new os 1.1.12 - using one-shot saw to filter. I only hear it when it’s keyed or when the sequencer’s stopped. But if I try to test it out over a running sequence, I can’t hear the lfo.

…I think TE emailed this to someone with the explanation of CPU priorities at the moment.

the lfo takes care of the trigs instead of the live played notes.

1 Like

Just checked this out and it seems the filter is the only thing not modulating live with the sequencer running. Only works with activated trigs, or when the sequencer’s stopped. Pitch, volume pan and others seem to be ok though.

1 Like