LFO Tips and Questions

Any tips for using an LFO to vary the loudness of drums when played by sequencer or Tape?

You might try randomizing the envelope. It’s a bit weird, but it definitely adds some variation to the sounds, if that’s what you’re looking for.

Thanks @Gambler!

I want to experiment with Euclidean patterns in Endless using drums as part of my interest in creating drum parts that do not attempt to imitate a human drummer in any way. Random LFO might be just the ticket for that.

A while ago @bolandross asked a question about one-shot LFOs (i.e. simulating a second envelope). Back then I said I can’t think of anything aside from using slow Tremolo with fast decay. Well, turns out there is at least one other trick you can employ.

Apparently, the key-triggered Value LFOs (i.e. the ones without letter F) are triggered separately for each key. Maybe it’s an obvious thing, but I assumed they work differently. With this property in mind, it’s possible to dial down the frequency of Value oscillator such that it only goes up during the attack and release phases of your envelope. (This assumes sustain is set to 0.)

You can achieve some rather interesting effects this way.

Just tried the original suggestion from Gambler, nice one dude, sounds great! Really fizzy/crackly then with Nitro I got some crazy ambient drone/wind thing happening. I’m a new user but so far the OP seems almost purpose built for ambient/field recording vibes. Amazing for that stuff :slight_smile:

I’ll check out rest of this thread asap, seems like some great ideas/info in here.

That envelope following lfo is simply awesome! I’ve been running external synth sequences inside DNA with it… I created really cool melodic noise that way. It’s possible to get interesting FM modulations in Pulse as well. Thanks for the tip!