master track and chord progressions

I’ve been looking at the online manual and I’m interested in the master channel chord progression section. Could someone explain a little more exactly how this works?

I think that it detects what’s happening in the bass track to guess what key you’re playing in.

So if your bassline is in “C,” when you go to the master track all the white keys will be illuminated (or you can see in the app if it guessed correctly) – I’ve had it guess wrong a few times and just had to shorten my bass seq and add other notes in the correct scale in the unused half of the seq – complicated workaround.

But then as you seq out different parts on the other tracks, they’ll all follow the chord changes you do on the master track – it always lights up the keys of the scale you’re in. (you can use shift to apply or remove the transposition for each type of track too for more harmonic complexity)

Also if you slow that master sequence down, you can get more interesting progressions on one pattern rather than chaining more patterns to actually make a progression – though it doesn’t seem to get slow enough for me – would love a /16 or further option down the line somehow.

But this feature has been amaaaazing so far for making ambient vibes, the arp can run at a constant state, and everything else revolving around it is soooo nice

1 Like

@aaronweits said:
I think that it detects what’s happening in the bass track to guess what key you’re playing in.

So if your bassline is in “C,” when you go to the master track all the white keys will be illuminated (or you can see in the app if it guessed correctly) – I’ve had it guess wrong a few times and just had to shorten my bass seq and add other notes in the correct scale in the unused half of the seq – complicated workaround.

But then as you seq out different parts on the other tracks, they’ll all follow the chord changes you do on the master track – it always lights up the keys of the scale you’re in. (you can use shift to apply or remove the transposition for each type of track too for more harmonic complexity)

Also if you slow that master sequence down, you can get more interesting progressions on one pattern rather than chaining more patterns to actually make a progression – though it doesn’t seem to get slow enough for me – would love a /16 or further option down the line somehow.

But this feature has been amaaaazing so far for making ambient vibes, the arp can run at a constant state, and everything else revolving around it is soooo nice

I remember way back in @cuckoo’s original mega preview I thought he was using more of a “note group” type of transposition. I guess this has evolved / devolved or I just remember it wrong. This is one feature I’m kind of hyped on… However I think I could emulate in Ableton/M4L somehow. Hmmmm. Any Ableton heads have any ideas?

i wundered if the progressions are audio timestretch or midi pitch based? the sound seems a bit like a cheap audio timestretch algo

Pretty sure it just transposes the midi trigs. If it sounds cheap to you, it might be because the filter doesn’t open or close up and down the keyboard and the newly triggered notes are out of that sweet spot you dialed in. Key tracking filters were always a wish of mine on the OP-1 and remain one on the Z.

1 Like

@Lymtronics said:
and the newly triggered notes are out of that sweet spot you dialed in.

nope the synth engines are not samplebased, so there is no sweetspot

I know. I’m talking about the filter and standard filter key tracking.

Pretty sure it’s transposing the midi notes, it transposes when you’re sending midi to external gear too, over USB.

I really love that you can mute the master track and therefore disable / enable the chord progressions