MPC-style controller (without all that other stuff)

Actually,

Why don’t you check out the MPC element?

It’s been a while since I owned one but I think they were MPC level pads,

BUT it would also give you access to the MPC software, which mimics the workflow of the hardware units and contains some of the best stock sounds I’ve ever heard come with a piece of software,

You may dig it because the software is based on sampler workflow NOT DAW workflow, so it won’t just be like learning a new DAW and it’s cheap…like $50
Hey, so, I got the BeatStep.

It's pretty nice, works how I want it to in Logic, but I'm trying to set it up to play the drum racks (one pad for the kick, etc) but it's not working out so well.

Anybody have any experience setting this up?
Do you have the software?

If so, (from what I recal) you tap the software icon that represents the pad you want to assign, then on the left side of the screen you can toggle through whatever functionality you want the pad to have, like a MIDI note # or a CC or an NRPN
Anyone have experience with the MPC500? The compactness seems nice :)
Yep,

Gets a bad rap, but with prices being what they are I couldn't justify recommending one and not just saving up the extra couple hundred for the 1000

If it's $250 or under go for it, anything above and your too close too something better to blow the cash
Anyone have experience with the MPC500? The compactness seems nice :)

Compactness good. Editing samples is a bit of a pain using sample numbers and no waveform. My one also had a loose connection when running on batteries so switched off when I tapped on pads too hard. Am sure was an easy fix but drove me bonkers.

+1 on the MPC1000 recommendations but overkill if you don't need the sampler / sequencer. Maybe worth using the sampler / sequencer tho... ;)