Music Critique Club!

@lescour, sounding nice! what did you use to make the noise / vinyl crackle sounds? The last click at the end of the track was a bit stressful on my system! Was that a compositional choice or something to do with the exporting process?

T

Apologies mate, i only just noticed that last click. Will sort it out. Got the hiss and crackle from using Nitro. Seems to create some nice textures if you play around with it

Hi!

This is the first time I post on this forum. You guys made me pull the trigger on this amazing synth. So thank you sincerely. I mainly use it to compose while travelling, since I’m all day running around and have a lot of spare half hours.

https://soundcloud.com/javierdepascual/church-of-now-demo

This track is the first attempt to make an specific project I’ve been thinking about since before buying this synth, about how blues and electronic music are very close relatives even if they come from two different centuries.

I want to make an EP trying to go the delta blues route, making gritty, raw, unsequenced music using only the OP-1. Since I’m not proficient on music production, I’m also using this to keep learning and improving, so any kind of feedback would be great.

Hello! Thanks for posting @javierdepascual. What was your inspiration behind this?

It was an interesting piece. I think you got the samples and sound design right. That wooden clacker is a typical sound found in the temples here in Japan. Fitting for the song title!
It was a short piece and it ended a bit abruptly and with a new noise. I would’ve ended the same way it started. I would’ve also shifted the layers and moved them forward. I think it would have added extra flavour and interest, but that’s just a personal choice. The track sounded like a statement of dedication. I pictured monks in a dark and cold temple in the small hours up a Chinese mountain. Apart from the smell, it was hard to tell the difference between the mist and the incense which, not trying to be a clever dick here, it was a bit like some of the sounds. Some frequencies were masked and the bass could be cleaned up. I think the sounds would’ve all benefitted from eq.

Great piece for experimentation and the important thing is getting an idea down and printing it. Big thumbs up for that!

Peace

Wow, loved the way you described the picture of what you heard. What do you mean by shifting the layers, though? You’re right about the EQ, but I still have to master the devices on the OP-1, since they’re not the Ableton devices that I’m used to :). Thank you deeply for your feedback!

I got inspired by the Negro Prison Songs recordings by Alan Lomax. They were gritty, dirty and desperate but you could feel a weird kind of communion while listening to them. They had to work 12/14hrs a day so this was the only way for them not to go crazy. I’m into industrial music, so that’s why the sound turns into a wall instead of a whisper: I want to link it to an abrasive beat that would be a hypothetical track 2.

Hi!

This is the first time I post on this forum. You guys made me pull the trigger on this amazing synth. So thank you sincerely. I mainly use it to compose while travelling, since I’m all day running around and have a lot of spare half hours.

https://soundcloud.com/javierdepascual/church-of-now-demo

This track is the first attempt to make an specific project I’ve been thinking about since before buying this synth, about how blues and electronic music are very close relatives even if they come from two different centuries.

I want to make an EP trying to go the delta blues route, making gritty, raw, unsequenced music using only the OP-1. Since I’m not proficient on music production, I’m also using this to keep learning and improving, so any kind of feedback would be great.

Hello! Thanks for posting @javierdepascual. What was your inspiration behind this?

It was an interesting piece. I think you got the samples and sound design right. That wooden clacker is a typical sound found in the temples here in Japan. Fitting for the song title!
It was a short piece and it ended a bit abruptly and with a new noise. I would’ve ended the same way it started. I would’ve also shifted the layers and moved them forward. I think it would have added extra flavour and interest, but that’s just a personal choice. The track sounded like a statement of dedication. I pictured monks in a dark and cold temple in the small hours up a Chinese mountain. Apart from the smell, it was hard to tell the difference between the mist and the incense which, not trying to be a clever dick here, it was a bit like some of the sounds. Some frequencies were masked and the bass could be cleaned up. I think the sounds would’ve all benefitted from eq.

Great piece for experimentation and the important thing is getting an idea down and printing it. Big thumbs up for that!

Peace

Wow, loved the way you described the picture of what you heard. What do you mean by shifting the layers, though? You’re right about the EQ, but I still have to master the devices on the OP-1, since they’re not the Ableton devices that I’m used to :). Thank you deeply for your feedback!

I got inspired by the Negro Prison Songs recordings by Alan Lomax. They were gritty, dirty and desperate but you could feel a weird kind of communion while listening to them. They had to work 12/14hrs a day so this was the only way for them not to go crazy. I’m into industrial music, so that’s why the sound turns into a wall instead of a whisper: I want to link it to an abrasive beat that would be a hypothetical track 2.

Hello again! Shifting layers… Sorry I should’ve explained it better. I mean the loops of audio. As if you are looking at a daw and there are layers like on a cake. I would’ve introduced them earlier. Does that make more sense? Lol sorry
Anyway, that is not necessarily the ‘thing to do’ it is just my opinion and you may have very good reason to have made it like that in the first place :slight_smile:

Nice theory to back up your ideas! Loved reading them!

Hey guys, just wanted to add a little something from myself on here after listening to other peoples great Soundcloud tunes.....a weird, glitchy ambient type of affair using some synths from Circuit / OP1 and performed live on Octatrack.
Id love to get any feedback, followers, reposts, positive or negative, all welcome.
Keep up the great work guys....

https://soundcloud.com/user-382993652/timbre

Lescour1: Loved the sounds and composition with this one. I felt like I wanted to hear the ambient noise level be subject to modulation so that it seemed like you were in control of it a little more. Otherwise it just bears the hallmark of a lo-fi recording? Other than that I really really loved the grit and progression.

Hi guys, I’m currently finishing a couple of tracks to complete a new EP. I’m looking for some feedback on my potentially completed tracks, so if you have a few minutes - I’d very much appreciate it.

I used the OP-1 for sampling.

This track is called Jet Pack and is an acid-y melodic edm piece.

Thanks

https://soundcloud.com/otakunodenki/jet-pack/s-jpzGP

Everybody loves hearing about their own tracks…
So make someone’s Friday even more fantastic by telling them what you think about their work!

GO!!!

Hey guys I just finished up my beattape made entirely on the op1 using the album feature to record everything! https://soundcloud.com/grumpysnorlax/mega-punch

Here is a 7 track EP. I utilised the OP-1 for mostly sampling and creating intros and various soundscapes. Let me know what you think.

https://soundcloud.com/otakunodenki/sets/diorama-part-1

Hahaha @HisMostDarxxxellent you done a great job reminding heads here the friendly rules of original post…

Its review 2 others before posting and hoping for a review of own work .
It will help get you a review if you give one peeps :slight_smile:

Hahaha @HisMostDarxxxellent you done a great job reminding heads here the friendly rules of original post..

Its review 2 others before posting and hoping for a review of own work .
It will help get you a review if you give one peeps :slight_smile:

It’s so easy to post a song and after working on it for soooo long we would love to know other people’s opinions. When we get it feels great! I’ve left feedback for that reason a couple times without posting any of my own work because I hope to encourage others to do the same. Feedback is critical for growth.

@Spheric_El I made a jam that I’d love you and others to review…
https://youtu.be/mwmmiAPlR68 If you’d be so kind. Any words are welcome!

https://soundcloud.com/silicon-psychosis/brave-new-worlds

Lol I'm trying to embed a soundcloud link but not having much luck? :)

I got there in the end :)

I was leaving this for someone who wantedtheir track reviewing (also not much data in my man cave ,only text access to interweb generally) but then decided to give it go anyway…@HisMostDarxxxellent - Icicle Jam…

Nice! Euphoric (pre Goa) trancey tech sound.that was the vibe I felt.
Realty liked the synth layers (chord progressions) with great gate pattern setting the structure and flow- opening and closing ,creating builds and release. I thought the mid range was layered and done well. Loved the freestyle live playin and impro lead sounds -excellent,with just enough weirdness riding the track .Mid range mix good.
For improvement I thought the drums could have more definition. I initially thought you could do with a desk to refine your tones with EQ/comp and FX. then I realised your using that mx-1. I’m now not sure if that’s the problem, although I do like to have good control of EQ plus long faders.(ive not used or know much about the mx-1).I started to wonder maybe you’ve got too much going on in the top end. I read a great tip recently about having a defined sound by having only just enough ,no more in the top end and lowpassing the synths to give room. Not needing so much EQ ,just getting ingredients right. So maybe I would of considered losing the off beat tambourine (not sure what it was, I think from TR8 and fairly consistent on the off beat). You dropped it out occasionally and I could hear more of the candy then. Maybe that was a touch fatiguing all the way thru - but having said that you may of felt that was an important part of the rhythm and pace. Maybe then an EQ could be useful. But it’s nice to think of treble like the bass in dance- its also important -and too many sounds competing for the same beat its gonna be hard to gel those tones. So that was a creative criticism .i don’t know how you think of the mx-1 - is it better than a traditional desk? Do you find it getting cluttered with too much volume ,sound wise. It’s an interesting idea, I was just wondering how you faired with it.
It was nice to see you enjoying the gear and over all that (enthusiasm) can be the most important qualification in ,well life generally, but certainly application. So nice and enjoyable video -well done.
I’m just wondering … Where you gonna fit your OB? :slight_smile:

I was leaving this for someone who wanted*their* track reviewing (also not much data in my man cave ,only text access to interweb generally) but then decided to give it go anyway..@HisMostDarxxxellent - Icicle Jam...

Nice! Euphoric (pre Goa) trancey sound.l was the vibe I felt.
Realty liked the synth layers (chord progressions) with great gate pattern setting the structure and flow- opening and closing ,creating builds and release. I thought the mid range was layered and done well. Loved the freestyle live playin and impro lead sounds -excellent,with just enough weirdness riding the track .Mid range mx good.
For improvement I thought the drums could have more definition. I initially thought you could do with a desk to refine your tones with EQ/comp and FX. then I realised your using that mx-1. I’m now not sure if that’s the problem, although I do like to have good control of EQ plus long faders.(ive not used or know much about the mx-1).I started to wonder maybe you’ve got too much going on in the top end. I read a great tip recently about having a defined sound by having only just enough ,no more in the top end and lowpassing the synths to give room. Not needing so much EQ ,just getting ingredients right. So maybe I would of considered losing the off beat tambourine (not sure what it was, I think from TR8 and fairly consistent on the off beat). You dropped it out occasionally and I could hear more of the candy then. Maybe that was a touch fatiguing all the way thru - but having said that you may of felt that was an important part of the rhythm and pace. Maybe then an EQ could be useful. But it’s nice to think of treble like the bass in dance- its also important -and too many sounds competing for the same beat its gonna be hard to gel those tones. So that was a creative criticism .i don’t know how think of the mx-1 - is it better than a traditional desk? Do you find it getting cluttered with too much volume ,sound wise. It’s an interesting idea, I was just wondering how you faired with it.
It was nice to see you enjoying the gear and over all that can be the most important qualification in ,well life generally, but certainly application. So nice and enjoyable video -well done.
I’m just wondering … Where you gonna fit your OB? :slight_smile:

Wow! Thank you soooo much @Spheric_El! What a great review. It made me think about a lot of things.
I think you are right about the high frequencies. I struggled with that part and that wasn’t due to the MX-1 I believe. That was because of what came after. I am using a Drawmer DL241 and an LX20, or was, as compression units AFTER the MX-1 and the problem is is that they roll off at 10khz. When I get the stereo file into the box I boost that up. I used Ozone 7 and I gave the high frequencies too much sauce in both EQ and tape distortion modules. This is where all of the noise comes from that you talked about.

I’ve since removed both the LX20 and DL241 pre-MX-1 and everything sounds better. Although they are good units I think they would be better for instruments and sounds going into the MX-1. As for the desks EQ/filter options they work surprisingly well, it has to be said. I was very sceptical at first. I should also mention that I have some things EQ’d pre-desk. I really like the filter options available on the MX-1 because they can be modified for steps 1-16, with a gate, and a wet/dry option. This has helped me lead into the drops and add extra character to some sounds.

Nice idea about rolling off the top of the synths to let the rhythmic parts through. Great advice regarding the top end.
Next time I will be much more subtle with the enhancements once the stereo file is in the box and I hope the highs will be attenuated.

Someone else told me about GOA but I’ve never listened it and my search has always come up fruitless. Could you name a few tunes so I can have a listen please.

I love your question re: the OB6. It has a different flavour than my System 1 and it is fun to experiment between the both of them to produce different lead lines. As a side note I’ve also reconfigured the System 1 so it sends midi data to the System 1m. Any changes or notes I press get played on the 1m I can also change subtle parts on the 1m to make it more interesting. In return this means that I have 4 main oscillators and 2 sun oscillators. I’ve made some very deep patches with this combo.
The OB6 is stellar and has a mojo that reigns supreme. I’ve come close to some patches with my SE-1 but the SE-1 is mono.

Here once again, thank you very much. Your words made me reflect a lot. I sincerely wish for people in this thread to post their critique of other people’s work.

First post in this thread. Looking for opinions on structure. I like linear song structures. But does that sound weird with the synth-pop stuff I do under my Chip Lightning pseudonym?

https://soundcloud.com/chiplightning/fire-1

Hello everyone

I've been lurking on this forum since the start of the year after stumbling on youtube vids for the OP-1 and getting completely sucked in and wanting one. I got mine in June and I've managed to knock out a few tunes on it, spending as much free time on it as I can, and I am loving the experience - it's a wonderful machine.

In terms of critiquing others' work I've listened to every piece on this thread and they have all given me so much inspiration, and I am amazed at how much talent there is here. My tastes are eclectic and bizarrely I find myself writing tunes in styles and genres that I wouldn't necessarily listen to normally.

My creations have been created end-to-end on the OP-1. I am DAW-less currently, and my other hardware is all in the cupboard redundant at the moment as the OP-1 does it all.

https://soundcloud.com/fatbilly/sets/the-middle-years

At this point, I can go from sample to sequencer to new production in 20 min. The OP-1 is a work of art.

https://youtu.be/HSbG-ouEswg

Hey guys!

Maybe someone might review just because it’s good practice but the rules of this thread are post two reviews and then qualify for a review. It can be any two tracks btw!

Otherwise, if you are posting your music then please post in the Other Music thread… https://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/955/other-music#latest
@jooga1972 has been putting the work in and is all over that thread! I doff my cap, sir!

As a side, it really makes people’s day to get a review and an opinion outside of ones own expectations :slight_smile:

just finished a track with a friend of mine https://soundcloud.com/grumpysnorlax/fuelh-x-grumps-pallet-town

also I did a little live video of one of the takes https://www.instagram.com/p/Ba_zE8pl03j/?taken-by=grumpysnorlax

just finished a track with a friend of mine https://soundcloud.com/grumpysnorlax/fuelh-x-grumps-pallet-town

also I did a little live video of one of the takes https://www.instagram.com/p/Ba_zE8pl03j/?taken-by=grumpysnorlax

Great!!! Now review a couple tracks in this thread (any tracks) and receive feedback for your new piece!

Alternatively, there is another thread called ‘Our Music’ for sharing your own creations. Maybe, you need to put it in there? I love that thread btw!