New OP-Z firmware 1.2.8!

OP-Z works as a usb audio interface. That means you have to hook it up to a computer “host” for it to work. The model:samples is the same.

This means they can’t work together. It’s like if you somehow plugged two USB thumb drives into each other. They wouldn’t do anything.

But you can do that with a regular 1/8th" ended audio cord, from the audio output of model samples, to a splitter, to the input on opz. You don’t need the USB to sample anymore.

2 Likes

Have you modified the mother.pd file to allow you OP-Z to act like the organelle hardware? I was thinking about how great this would be a while ago. So glad to see you did this! Any details you can share would be awesome. I have an organelle.

1 Like

How do you do this?

How are you doing this? I‘m receiving audio via the USB Port but it‘s not in the tape buffer…

1 Like

I’ve just spent an hour playing with live input. I ran a field recording from my iPhone, via USB (and Camera Connection Kit). I pressed SCREEN+3 to monitor the input.

All the fun is on the tape track. One thing I found is that you should press SHIFT while in the tape track, and deselect all the audio tracks. The important ones to activate are tape and the module track. The module lets you really mangle the live audio with the tape buffer. And you can sequence the tape glitches. I find live record captures this best.

Another tip is that you can switch to the FX tracks, and in there you can set the FX send level of the tape track. Good for adding delay etc.

Anyone know why the Module track is involved here?

This update makes a huge difference to the OP-Z. You can feed audio in, live mangle it with tape, and record the result back to the iPhone. All live. Amazing.

EDIT: I forgot to try pitch bend!

2 Likes

Is there a reason why they can’t just make it where we can sample in the 1/8th directly without a splitter? We could still monitor the signal from the internal speaker or usb, and it would make it much easier… I don’t like the idea of using a splitter much, it seems unnecessary. Maybe that’s why this update the audio input is called a beta? I’m hoping anyway… I want to beable to just plug a cord in the opz and sample, none of this splitter shenanigan’s.

You need the splitter because not all 1/8th inch jacks are made the same. The standard headphone has two audio channels, this one has a 3rd for a mic. When you plug a standard 1/8th inch jack into the op-z the mic channel doesn’t connect. A trrs splitter will work.

the op-z also works as a usb host - https://teenage.engineering/guides/op-z/usb
If it didn’t you could get sound over usb from a iphone/android/etc for sampling. I think it should work, but this feature is in beta so I am not surprised if not everything works. I would be willing to bet that you described exactly what is happening.

Yes but couldn’t they just make the software see the second ring as the mic audio channel instead when you press two or whatever setting? I don’t know allot about this stuff but that would be really cool if you could sample without a splitter…

1 Like

What you mean live record?

Also, can I ask how you record to iPhone?

Press record and play together, so anything you do while the sequencer iOS running will be recorded.

I use the AUM app, recording via USB in.

It’s a USB midi host, not audio.

If it was a USB audio host you could plug in something like an 8-channel USB mixer, and the OP-Z would recognize it, and allow you to address all 8 channels.

The OP-Z is confusing in this regard. It is a USB Host, which allows it to connect class compliant usb midi devices. It is also a class compliant midi device and class compliant audio device, which allows phones/tablets/computers to see it and communicate. Theoretically, they could enable the OP-Z to use its usb host capabilities to look for class compliant audio devices and send that to the sampler - but they haven’t yet. It would be a cool feature though.

of course! normally I use the Op-1 for that because I have actually no clue how to recreate the Aux button with the OP-Z,

in my case pd runs in real-time, so no audio dropouts and such and excellent latency

The moduletrack is the io track, first only for midi but now also apparently for the audio input.

1 Like

Still getting the high pitch feedback squeal in sample mode when recording from the built in mic when not using headphones. Is it too much to ask to have this be like the PO KO and the OP-1 where I can just hit record and not have to remember to turn down the volume knob when recording? Am I the only one with this annoyance?

I’m curious to learn more on your setup @JohnnyEgo.

So you have something able to run Organelle PD patches without actually being an Organelle?

Is there a post or something where you explain your setup?

1 Like

Yes it is too much because it is impossible, it would take a complete redesign and for all current opz’s to be confiscated and replaced. On the PO’s the speaker is on the back and on the opz it is right next to the microphone… they couldn’t put it on the back and still have it removable with modules and a replaceable battery.

1 Like

Pesky laws of physics