New user.. Op-1 50/50 keeper.. Advice/Tips?

I already decided to keep it. Took a few sessions to adapt but I eventually ended up seeing the charm/benefits in the different way it makes you approach jamming ideas in to a song. Had to send it back for replacement tho due to it switching patches/opening sequencer by itself :frowning: hopefully the replacement unit will get here pretty soon…

@Spheric_El Thanks for those tips :slight_smile:

I already decided to keep it.

Apologies, as I have a bad habit of reading only the title post and responding to it before diving into the rest of the thread.

Happy to hear you found a flow with it, with a new one on the way.
I would at least wait the 6 or 7 more weeks to get familiar with it by the time the OS update drops.

Personally, I hold onto gear for at least 6 months and learn it inside out before I even consider letting it go. How can you know it's not for you in such a short period of time?

Especially w the OP-1, the trick is to learn the interface and workflow inside out. Only then does the real elegance of the thing become fully obvious.

One BAD thing about making music on an iPad is that there are so many other distractions - games, email, social media, lots of other apps so you don’t focus on one thing.

The GOOD thing about the OP-1 is that you shut yourself off from the world and sit in front of it and it’s just you and the OP-1.

You are right though, apps have come on a massive way since the OP-1 was first born and you can pretty much have super high quality multi-track recording with synths, samplers and drum machines anytime anywhere. It has left the OP-1 way behind in terms of technology but it’s still a completely valid instrument.
The guitar wasn’t killed by the electric guitar and both certainly were not killed by the midi guitar.

I don’t use my OP-1 as much as I should and I’ve went to sell it a few times but chickened out.
It’s just one of those instruments that’s great to have around for when you are in the mood for it.

If you think you’d get more use out of the £600 then get something else.

It is worth trying to get your head around the OP-1 though. Set yourself a song challenge or do one of the challenges on here. It’s the best way to get to know the ins and outs of the little off-white synth.

its hard to beat the bang for buck you get from an Ipad. in terms of music making. I totally get lost on it. opening this app routing it into that. so much that i have no idea whats going on. its always overwhelming. the Op1 is very zen. I sit down with it and make music fin. I wouldnt give up the ipad though. to powerful for music making.

Yeah lean that beast as an instrument.
Still getting to grips with it.
Lovely ,playable sequencers and top tape combo are doing it for me at mo.

I agree with most of the things @Callofthevoid asked and suggested (great list by the way!) in this thread but after missing some of these features myself i started loving the op-1 for it’s workflow, sound and fun tun use. It’s an unique concept - but yes - some things are missing in my opinion.
But maybe the op-1 can be compared to a swiss army knife - it’s a very handy tool but you wouldn’t expect it to be the only tool you use to build an entire house with.
But still an undo function in tape mode would be lovely :wink: