New user OP-1 introduction vid's

Hello all.

I became very intoxicatd with the OP-1 recently as an inspiring song creation & unique sonic territory tool. …Now mine is in the mail soon to arrive!

If there are any 1st step type videos that provide an overall view of workflow, I’d much appreciate any advise.

I’m a guitarist/writer/producer dude with hardly ant synth background & hope to figure out a way to “incorporate” the OP-1 into a Tape machine / DAW studio to use it to “build around” a guitar & vocal track for example.

I hope to approach from more of an ambient place (think Bowie’s LOW record w/ Eno/Fripp) FWIW.
So more ethereal / pretty type interests than EDM type stuff.
Thanks again.

Can’t help with any video links in particular, but there are tons out there and when you get your OP you’ll find you can search for specifics.

I got mine recently and also mainly doing ambient stuff so far. The presets feel mostly too polite to me but finding it can be taken in to lo-fi/Boards Of Canada/warbly crunchy goodness without a lot of effort. Not sure how long it’ll be before I start to feel hemmed in by its synth programming limitations. But with the onboard sampler and sequencers and resampling etc in theory it shouldn’t ever be a problem :wink:

There’s lots of tutorials on youtube.

Search DJ Thomas White. He’s got some tutorials and also info on how he sets up his sets for playing live using loops.

Thanks for that. I’ll check them out.

I’d love to get my head around if there’s a way to have a vocal/piano or guitar tracks in DAW and then be able to build op-1 drums/synth stuff around them.

The syncing or sequencing rythmically being the elusive part of that of course.

That would make the op-1 RULE in my world anyway, & I’d bet in many others.

@chet if you want to avoid midi sync you could export your DAW idea and put it on a tape track in op-1. Match tempo of tape bpm to the DAW project bpm and then you can build stuff on the other tape tracks. Then paste them in to your DAW if you want to mix there etc. You can do all that with standard USB, no need for midi or interfaces etc.

@chet if you want to avoid midi sync you could export your DAW idea and put it on a tape track in op-1. Match tempo of tape bpm to the DAW project bpm and then you can build stuff on the other tape tracks. Then paste them in to your DAW if you want to mix there etc. You can do all that with standard USB, no need for midi or interfaces etc.

I was thinking just that exact thing, Thanks.

Only obstacle would be op-1 track limitations but still, a valid approach if one could manage within those limitations.

Yeah you’ll probably have to bounce and commit some stuff depending how much you flesh stuff out inside OP.

Or I guess just keep exporting separate tracks from OP back to daw>mixdown>back to 1 track on OP>make 3 new tracks and so on… That way you’d have limitless amount of op tracks and can throw them all separately in to DAW to edit/mix etc. Bit of workflow killer tho :wink:

Here’s a tutorial I put together if ambient is your thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovAXTMuKUr0

TE’s own ‘op-1 school’ series is very good!!!

Appreciate these guys. op-1 should be arriving tomorrow :wink:

Looking forward to that new OS!

The TE vids are helpful as an introduction but,
if anyone has stumbled on any others that are good in so far as general use helpful tips / insights or drums/beat construction please share.
& Thanks.

There’s no shortage of some creative op-1 creators though!

check out zulu monks & sammy jams you tube vids as well.

Not to forget cuckoo’s vids !

Check out the OP-1 Tips and Tricks thread. For example, have you seen this (Making a track from scratch):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz5PZb8ChZ0&feature=youtu.be

I did see that one. Thanks.

and of course www.go-p1.net

and the OP-1 Cookbook