Newby Question - Any Variation in OP-1 Models? New Ones Better? All The Same?

Hiya, I’m looking to buy an OP-1 and very much looking forward to getting one!
I’m considering second hand to save some cash, but I’m wondering if there have been any improvements in the later models or anything? I know some people complained about noises and pops when recording to the the tape transport years ago (on the old forum that’s gone). Is that still an issue, or have the recent OS’s sorted that out? Hope you are all having a good weekend! Othytim.

I think that the only improvement they made was in the plastic that covers the display, and that was ages ago so I don’t think you’d need to worry about that.

As far as I know there was never any confirmation about that, except for some rumours about early models having a wireless communication chip and some people recently mentioning that the plastic above the display was improved in later models to be more scratch resistant.

The noise issue was more or less fixed by one of the latest firmware updates.

After sending in my op1 for repair the keyboard felt much better. Stiffer and more responsive. Just speculation and can’t confirm but the it seemed much improved after the whole keyboard was replaced.

Cheers for your replies. I’ll see if I can pick up a nice condition second hand one. Kinda wish I had it right now, but I’ll have to be patient!

I have the latest OS, but with HELLA noise…so much so that I have to unplug the USB when it’s on.
Boo.

I have the latest OS, but with HELLA noise...so much so that I have to unplug the USB when it's on. Boo.

That’s a ground loop, which is not at all specific to the OP-1 but is very common when mixing audio equipment with USB. I have it with my OP-1 too, but I also have it with some other devices, some of which have ground lift switches that take that noise right away. Otherwise, you have to look into other isolation measures…it can be a bit of a pain to deal with.

masterofstuff124
After sending in my op1 for repair the keyboard felt much better. Stiffer and more responsive. Just speculation and can’t confirm but the it seemed much improved after the whole keyboard was replaced.

I noticed my keyboard gradually became softer and looser with use. I don’t mind the worn-in feeling though.

If you are going to try to buy a second hand one - ask if the owner is the original. Op1s are an acquired taste, they are not for everybody so I bet a lot are bought and sold bought and sold and perhaps not treated as well as they should be.