Noob- OP and IPad

Hey all, I’m completely new to music and the OP in general. I’ve been having a ton of fun, but felt pretty limited by the tape function. Before my laptop took the big sleep, I had a blissful week playing live pieces off the OP into ableton live and working with other samples and bits I have. I was wondering if there’s an iPad (I have a pro/camera connection kit) app with the same functionality? Thanks in advance. I looked around for an answer to this but it looked like everything was a few years old.

So you want to sequence on the ipad?

Yes its possible, apps like garageband will let you record and have plenty tracks. As far as i know youll need an audio interface for it though. It wont work with just the usb (might be wrong on this)

If you want to record the Audio from the OP-1 into the iPad you definitely need an USB audio interface, most class-compliant should work, although you might need to connect it via a powered USB hub if it doesn’t have a dedicated power supply.

If you only need mono recording you can also try a headphone/mic splitter adaptor that separates the microphone input from the stereo output of the iPad’s jack.

The cheapest USB audio interface is tiny, has mono in, stereo out, and costs under $10, but it will consume your USB port, so if you need MIDI, then go for a hub and an audio interface box. That said, on modern-day iPad you can use a 4-pin jack and disable the auto-leveller (though I have no exact details). Re software, I got a lot of unexpected joy out of Loopy HD… If you feel like longer, more linear, layers - then you’ll like Kymatica AUM too. Happy exploring!

Cubasis might be what you’re after. Some hardware devices include a license for it as well, e.g. the Yamaha AG 06 mixer which also is a class compliant audio interface

Thanks for the suggestions and info! Im looking into all of them. I’m always so surprised how helpful this place is and how nice people are to users of varying skill/knowledge

Check out youtube channel Andrew Huang using an OP-1 and this iPad/iPhone app called Looperverse that has some similar DAW features.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBADYxGJ5QE

You should look into Beatmaker 3 - it is kind of Ableton-ish. There is another thread about it on here somewhere.

Looperverse records via the iPad microphone. You will only record off of the op-1’s internal speaker, NOT directly into the program to get full rich sound. Notice in the video that the op-1 is only connected via headphone jack. Looperverse is $9

Looperverse records via the iPad microphone. You will only record off of the op-1's internal speaker, NOT directly into the program to get full rich sound. Notice in the video that the op-1 is only connected via headphone jack. Looperverse is $9

From the retronyms website (maker of looperverse):

Input Source

This is where you select which of the available input channels Looperverse will record from. What you see in this menu depends on whether you’re using your iPad’s internal microphone or an external USB Class-Compliant audio interface, such as the RME BabyFace or BabyFace Pro. If you’re using the internal microphone, that will be the only option available. If you’re using an external audio interface, you can choose either of the first two available mono channels or the first available stereo pair. Choosing a mono input will create mono Tracks when you record in Looperverse, and stereo input will create stereo Tracks.

http://blog.retronyms.com/2017/04/looperverse-guide_4.html

The OP-1 headphone jack is plugged into Andrew’s audio interface.