Notables: Where Design and Music Converge

Turntable by Yakir Buaron.
http://www.yankodesign.com/2015/07/23/stript-and-turnt-2/

Dammit! You’ve just sold me two record players!

Fender Jaguar (this is my token odd-ball choice, please feel free to mock)

I’m in absolute love with the Jaguar! So much so that I have 2 of them…okay 1 is a clone. It is the best looking guitar to me. And not only that, but it plays well too. I’ve only played a few guitars that I’ve liked better, but those are way too expensive and don’t look as good.

I bought my first Jaguar last year, just a Squire vintage one to see if I’d like them or not and I’ve not put it down since. It really was one of those moments when you just click with an instrument straight away. Love the look and the cutaway at the back makes it really comfortable (I had a Les Paul before - really heavy beast). I have yet to play on a proper Fender Jaguar mainly out of fear for my bank account. Do you find a big jump in quality between your two Jaguars?

Great thread!

Monotribe and Volca Sampler really float my boat, I really enjoy how they are far more flexible than their “limited” designs would have you believe, yet still remain a joy to use and sound excellent.

Grendel drone commander and TB-303 are also faves of mine, for largely the same reasons.

Good call with the Volca Sample, I completely forgot about that. I think for the price, form and function all the Volcas are more than deserving of a mention in terms of great industrial design. They were my starting point for synths and I’m sure thats the case with quite a few people. Korg really nailed it with those four boxes.

Fender Jaguar (this is my token odd-ball choice, please feel free to mock)

I’m in absolute love with the Jaguar! So much so that I have 2 of them…okay 1 is a clone. It is the best looking guitar to me. And not only that, but it plays well too. I’ve only played a few guitars that I’ve liked better, but those are way too expensive and don’t look as good.

Talking about guitar, I believe the Rickenbacker 4003 Midnight Blue is the most beautiful bass guitar ever created.

My Yamaha SGV300 guitar offers some kind of mirror effect with my bass.
I've designed book covers, infographics, websites, branding etc over the years. Lots of stuff really, some pays my bills, some is for fun...

That’s the way to go. If I’m fortunate, I’ll get to do what I love, for fun and to pay the bills.

I've designed book covers, infographics, websites, branding etc over the years. Lots of stuff really, some pays my bills, some is for fun...

That’s the way to go. If I’m fortunate, I’ll get to do what I love, for fun and to pay the bills.

That should always be the plan, I totally agree. Getting the right balance is still a work-in-progress for me. What kind of things are you looking to do/like doing?

This interview with Mark Verbos inspired me to start designing and creating my own modular system:

http://youtu.be/bJeh2jLwvJI

He mentions in the ‘west coast’ style of modular that the signal flows FROM you. Meaning the Sources are at the bottom, and then further processing as you go up the modular, and finally the amp/output section.

I’ve always like the idea of signal flowing TO me, so I’m designing some modules that will have the sources at the top, and the processing comes down towards me, as I find that’s where I do most of my tweaking after setting up sources and such.

I have a great interest in industrial/functional design, but I don’t have the patience to do mock ups with digital software FML.

This interview with Mark Verbos inspired me to start designing and creating my own modular system:

http://youtu.be/bJeh2jLwvJI

He mentions in the ‘west coast’ style of modular that the signal flows FROM you. Meaning the Sources are at the bottom, and then further processing as you go up the modular, and finally the amp/output section.

I’ve always like the idea of signal flowing TO me, so I’m designing some modules that will have the sources at the top, and the processing comes down towards me, as I find that’s where I do most of my tweaking after setting up sources and such.

I have a great interest in industrial/functional design, but I don’t have the patience to do mock ups with digital software FML.

I really like the sounds that come out from Verbos modular. Its an interesting case study in terms of industrial design - Verbos and Make Noise share a similar West Coast/Buchla sound & inspiration but have entirely opposite visual aesthetics. I like that he points out ‘deliberate music’ as you can get this from the design and order more easily than a Make Noise system but they both overlap a lot in terms of sound.

The great thing about modular is that you make it work for you, whatever your tastes may be. I’d really like to know what you are planning. I’ve be toying with a modular set-up for a while now but I lack the knowledge to carry it out.

Funny enough I don’t own any modular, but I got enticed when I played with the new Roland effect modules at my work (music store electronics repair tech) .

I never had a want for modular until I laid my hands on some. The instant access to shape the signal how I see fit is just too interesting/powerful. I’ve heard claims that its hard to be ‘musical’ with modular, but IMO that’s because MAYBE they didn’t understand synthesis well enough to know where to patch the signal. I don’t know… All I know is I’m hooked, and super excited to try my hand at designing some DIY modules.

Sorry, not trying to hijack thread towards Modular.

@LibertineLush Man that turntable would pair up nicely with an OP-1!

That should always be the plan, I totally agree. Getting the right balance is still a work-in-progress for me. What kind of things are you looking to do/like doing?

Music. Or noise, depending on who’s listening. It’s always been a bigger part of my life than anything else. Only recently did I decide to pursue it. I don’t want to resign to pragmatism from the very beginning. You merely risk failure if you dream, but you risk your life if you dare not.

Its an interesting case study in terms of industrial design - Verbos and Make Noise share a similar West Coast/Buchla sound & inspiration but have entirely opposite visual aesthetics.
I feel like there's hard rock influences with some of their designs--and not in a bad way. I was looking at some of their systems (http://www.makenoisemusic.com/systems.shtml) recently and they look very inviting. There's one that has a lot of touch sensors, making it a very tactile experience. That one had me dreaming for a bit.
Cool thread. I think the Elektron devices are really beautiful -

Teenage designed the MD and MM!

photo-1

Ron Arad Mid '90s

Funny enough I don't own any modular, but I got enticed when I played with the new Roland effect modules at my work (music store electronics repair tech) .

I never had a want for modular until I laid my hands on some. The instant access to shape the signal how I see fit is just too interesting/powerful. I’ve heard claims that its hard to be ‘musical’ with modular, but IMO that’s because MAYBE they didn’t understand synthesis well enough to know where to patch the signal. I don’t know… All I know is I’m hooked, and super excited to try my hand at designing some DIY modules.

Sorry, not trying to hijack thread towards Modular.

@LibertineLush Man that turntable would pair up nicely with an OP-1!

There are lots of great looking and sounding modular, I certainly think they should be represented here. The new Make Noise Shared System (Black & Gold edition) is pretty eye-catching too me although it does seem to divide opinion a little.

maxresdefault

Music. Or noise, depending on who’s listening. It’s always been a bigger part of my life than anything else. Only recently did I decide to pursue it. I don’t want to resign to pragmatism from the very beginning. You merely risk failure if you dream, but you risk your life if you dare not.

Very wise and true words, look forward to hearing what you come up with!

There are lots of great looking and sounding modular, I certainly think they should be represented here. The new Make Noise Shared System (Black & Gold edition) is pretty eye-catching too me although it does seem to divide opinion a little.

Yea, I actually think there is more aesthetically designed modular gear than non-modular gear. As with their little synth, I’m also fond of Critter & Guitari’s Melody Mill & IIO modules:

https://youtu.be/qWOoUMZoqfc

The little synth:

http://thirdmanstore.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/e/sept_1.jpg
Very wise and true words, look forward to hearing what you come up with!

Hopefully I’ll have something to share soon.

damn this thread! you just made me buy this because i was searching for something to post here and just couldn’t resist when i saw it:

Here are a couple of my graphite XLs …

CB

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8552/8754394424_e1fe4a662d_c.jpg
damn this thread! you just made me buy this because i was searching for something to post here and just couldn't resist when i saw it:

hahaha. I think those are great. That transparent one and the black one look the best to me.

For anyone interested: http://noise.kitchen/shop/bastl/bastl-instruments-microgranny-2-1-crystal-soul-limited-edition/ Looks like you bought the 2nd to last one (“Only 1 left in stock”).
damn this thread! you just made me buy this because i was searching for something to post here and just couldn't resist when i saw it:

Ahaha the very same was in my basket yesterday, I was about to make the payment when I figured I wouldn’t use it that much…

Last one though… This crystal thing is really beautiful.

No.

I won’t.

Just happened upon this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV6e20UevsU

So when it arrives, make sure it has the new firmware, since it just came out yesterday.