Novation circuit

…any experience with that device? I think it could be a lot of fun if you don’t take this gear- and producingthing too serious…is there anyone at op-1.com using it? Would luke to hear some opinions about it…is there technically any chance for a possibility to load own samples for drums on it in the future?

I’ve played around with it quite a bit. It’s pretty cool, but I feel the sounds are kind of limited. The sequencing is really fun. They are working on some other functionality that could open up the sound possibilities. The drums are samples so technically they should be able to be replaced someday

I think it looks like a great instrument; I love versatility in compactness. However, after watching the recent Sonicstate review of it, it confirmed a shortcoming I imagined would be too frustrating to tolerate. With the absence of a screen and even labeled encoders, you are working blind with so many of the basic, essential functions across every aspect of the machine. Further exacerbating the opacity, the encoder parameters are not the same depending on the synth/drum you’re using—one encoder that adjusts filter cutoff does not in another setting.

If you think you can tolerate that, then it still looks like a fun little thing. But for a similar price, there’s the Electribe, which appears more functionally fluid.

I have one, the sequencer is a breath of fresh air, the sounds are actually more flexible than they first seem, the encoder setup is a little strange and I hope that an editor will allow these to be remapped, but if you are looking for fun then it fits the bill while still being useful in a more “serious” setting.

whats the drums variety like? like is it all kicks, snares and hats? is it all 808s and heartbreaks?

funny about the limited sound aspect…i think a moog mother, or even a xoxbox is much more limited in sound…

the sequencer seems like a good thing – i have a dark energy 1, and i could sequence it from the circuit (and there i would have all the kinds of lfo/env/osc and so on…

it has no audio input – big mistake!

have you seen the latest news? there is an editor for the circuit…now you have full synthcontrol for two mininova engines, every parameter is editable and you are able to save userpatches…sounds great.

next step please: same thing for the drum section, loading user samples etc.

The editor is great, really opens up the possibilities, and +1 to @LAUNE I asked over on the Novation forum for these a while back and some other stuff, I reckon those ppl who dissed the Circuit are going to be eating their words once the new features are added, amazing box of fun and incredible value.

The parameter locks and step handling is more elegant than the Elektron way, I like the way you can hit a step and hear it as it appears in the pattern, and edit it, so immediate and intuitive.

I think if Novation continue down this road with these kind of instruments then they will change the game for sure.

But only if you have Max for Live? I don’t even have a PC or mac!

I like @ghostly606 .
Totally against the grain.

@ghostly it’s just a benefit IF you have a computer, you can use the circuit of course without it. That’s the concept…and there is a standalone version of the editor too…

I do like the look of this ,its what Electribe 2 should of been like.

I’m thinking maybe for my GAS…Its got a bit of OP1 with “turn the dial and listen”.
It looks nice.
I do like the look of this ,its what Electribe 2 should of been like.
I'm thinking maybe for my GAS..Its got a bit of OP1 with "turn the dial and listen".
It looks nice.

Two mini novas sounds nice! Still would much prefer one of the new electribe sampler as it samples and has a screen.

speaking of the electribes. i heard theres a way to hack the e2 and load the sampler OS onto it w/ the additional filter modes and synth sounds of the e2.

speaking of the electribes. i heard theres a way to hack the e2 and load the sampler OS onto it w/ the additional filter modes and synth sounds of the e2.

Word? So basically the best of both machines? Crazy.

Just picked up the Circuit last week: incredible bang for the buck as-is, let alone the editors/hopefully sample uploading.

That being said, I’ve yet to hit a major roadblock when making music with it. I thought the 4/4 locked drum voices would piss me off, but I just sequence 3 blocks of 16 to get my 3/4 feel. Also, poly rhythms sound incredible.

There are Synth presets for “kick designer” and “snare designer”, which essentially turn this thing into a KILLER drum machine, let alone groove box.

I have had access to both the new electribes and now this, and I must say, for myself, the circuit is a no brainer over the electribes as far as:

1. Speed of workflow
  2. Sound (I hate hearing the Korg Gadget samples in the new electribes)
  3. Fun

Plus, the parameter locks really open up the “limited” samples to end up FAR away from what they originally sounded like.

Headphone out into the OP-1 for needless processing and this thing is a beast.

Word? So basically the best of both machines? Crazy.

here is the thread about it

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=99902&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

@ghostly606 I don’t have Live or any DAW at all, there is a standalone version of the editor which runs fin on my old win7 netbook.

I also have the electribe2, very different flow and function from circuit, the circuit now has a much more comprehensive synth than the electribe it is a bit like the Analog4 but with the limitation of only 8 (fully customisable) macros per patch, however these each can control upto 4 parameters per macro, with ranges. Each synth section of the circuit has 2 oscillators, noise and ringmod all available together, 3 envelopes, 2 LFOs, chorus, overdrive, parametric eq, multimode filter, 20 mod matrix each with 2 sources per destination, mono/poly, portamento - so basically a very well specified and flexible synth.

Basically you can create 64 of your own sounds and set the macros how you want, if they add the ability to replace the drum samples with user samples I will seriously consider buying a second one.

wonder if while they’re at it they could just increase the total number of synth and drum patches allowed

wonder if while they're at it they could just increase the total number of synth and drum patches allowed

Circuit XL with a screen and sampling and I’d be stoked!