Octatrack MkII

Wow, did I see that correctly? According to the newsletter, they’ve got an Analog Four mk II and an Analog Rytm mk II too now!

Indeed… the Rytm2 now samples…

And completely new casing. I wonder why the Octatrack mk2 still has the brick format?

https://www.elektron.se/analog-rytm-mkii/

some cost tho

They are big !

Wonder why they didn’t choose the same shape for OT.
Plus it seems OT is slightly bigger than OG.
Weird.

A bit excited, hard to not look what was yesterday still the coolest gear on Earth lose a bit of its shine.
Still, I love the form factor of the current box, wonder if I’ll jump on A4/AR mk2.

And above all, waiting for a cockpit-like AK mk2
:smiley:

Gotta say, if they made an AK mk2 with a tilted body I’d be seriously tempted…

As it is, I was already thinking about getting an A4 when the prices dropped a couple of weeks ago. Realistically I think I’ll pick one up secondhand when people start selling their mk1 versions to buy the mk2… maybe

Or hold out for a potential monomachine mk3/reissue :stuck_out_tongue:

The OT3 that they are releasing in a couple of months has the new format/case :wink:

And completely new casing. I wonder why the Octatrack mk2 still has the brick format?

The new Rytm MK2 looks insane. It now samples, 8 outputs, cv etc…Pretty much game over!

The new Rytm MK2 looks insane. It now samples, 8 outputs, cv etc.....Pretty much game over!

Does look good, but I’d prefer the digitakt for the 8 track midi sequencing. Although they are very different prospects with common ground.

Have you seen the size comparison with the mk1

yea rytm + sampling def = game over.

kinda wish they would give u freedom w/ the engines and what pad u can assign them too, also w/ the mute/choke groups too.
not sure why its locked in like it is…?

maybe they already have? its been awhile since i’ve looked into the rytm…

personally not too gaga for the black on grey look…i think there new style looks much better w/ the black on black (digitakt)

It’s bigger but the size doesn’t bother me, once you owned an MPC 60 everything looks like an op-1

It's bigger but the size doesn't bother me, once you owned an MPC 60 everything looks like an op-1

Lol good call

The smaller size relative to other “groovebox” type machines has always been part of the appeal of elektron gear for me. They fit nicely, complete with the plastic cover, in my 15" laptop bag with room for the cables and power supply.

I’m thinking that the larger mk2 machines probably won’t fit in a laptop bag as easily, and then there’s the other issue that they don’t have holes in the sides for rack mounting… so I’m gonna stick with the 1st generation devices for now :smiley:

No interest in the mkii’s unless the A4’s new circuits miraculously sound/behave like an Oberheim or Moog. Probably would have copped an OT mkii if it had 8 separate outputs or more ram that allowed recording 8 stems internally. Always seemed like that was the main issue with OT for most people but they haven’t addressed that at all :frowning:

As an AK and OT owner already there are way more interesting/fun ways to spend my (imaginary) money than grabbing the ‘upgrades’.

Sampling’s nice on RYTM for people that had been planning to buy one, but was a no-brainer thing to include to begin with. Like separate outs on the A4. Not sure how users seem to have realised these things way faster than Elektron did when they were designing/building the mki’s… Feels like holding stuff back for upgrades was possibly pencilled in on the roadmap plan all along? And still the same old 64mb ram and 1gb +drive. On a £1200+ box in 2017 :confused: Maybe there’ll be a rytm and OT mkiii in a couple of years with more power/memory and polyphony/sample layering, new fx etc.

But in business terms I guess you can’t really fault Elektron for taking the easiest route to making old things feel shiney new and getting a bump in sales and increased longevity with minimal r&d/risk etc whilst simultaneously consolidating their manufacturing with all boxes using the same buttons/screens etc…

No interest in the mkii's unless the A4's new circuits miraculously sound/behave like an Oberheim or Moog. Probably would have copped an OT mkii if it had 8 separate outputs or more ram that allowed recording 8 stems internally. Always seemed like that was the main issue with OT for most people but they haven't addressed that at all :(

As an AK and OT owner already there are way more interesting/fun ways to spend my (imaginary) money than grabbing the ‘upgrades’.

Sampling’s nice on RYTM for people that had been planning to buy one, but was a no-brainer thing to include to begin with. Like separate outs on the A4. Not sure how users seem to have realised these things way faster than Elektron did when they were designing/building the mki’s… Feels like holding stuff back for upgrades was possibly pencilled in on the roadmap plan all along? And still the same old 64mb ram and 1gb +drive. On a £1200+ box in 2017 :confused: Maybe there’ll be a rytm and OT mkiii in a couple of years with more power/memory and polyphony/sample layering, new fx etc.

But in business terms I guess you can’t really fault Elektron for taking the easiest route to making old things feel shiney new and getting a bump in sales and increased longevity with minimal r&d/risk etc whilst simultaneously consolidating their manufacturing with all boxes using the same buttons/screens etc…

True, but almost every Octatrack Mk1 owner would have run out and bought a true sequel that included all the things you were after (plus better effects and trig conditions from me). That would have meant >>> sales. But greater R&D costs I guess.

@ghostly606 Yeah for sure man, a legit OT2 with those things would have been next level instabuy :slight_smile: I would love trig conditions on OT too but (besides the R&D involved…) would probably hurt DT sales. Dunno if Elektron would be in a rush to do that. From current info on OT mkii it seems not… Same as stuff like slices/timestrech/performance macros on DT would probably be seen as a risk to OT sales :confused:

ya i woulda flipped my digitakt in a heartbeat for a true OT mk2.

kinda wish they would give u freedom w/ the engines and what pad u can assign them too, also w/ the mute/choke groups too.
not sure why its locked in like it is..?

From what I’ve read, each track has a special analog path with specific component that makes it possible to choose one or a few machines.
Choke groups are hardware also. Guess it’s the difference between analog and digital that bring such constraints.
But I’ve never felt limited by AR, for me it’s always a pleasure to play with.

not sure why its locked in like it is..?

From what I’ve read, each track has a special analog path with specific component that makes it possible to choose one or a few machines.
Choke groups are hardware also. Guess it’s the difference between analog and digital that bring such constraints.
But I’ve never felt limited by AR, for me it’s always a pleasure to play with.

Yes that’s exactly it. Each track has it’s specific analog path. Technically it’s impossible to swap them between tracks.