OP-1 Blog

It’s been a little over two weeks since procuring the OP-1. Wow!!!

Really loving this Elektron Analog Four but not had a massive amount of time with it so far, only enough to play with some of the demo songs so far and get to grips with some basic stuff.

Tonight though I loaded in all the free soundpacks from Elektron website and put together my first “kit” and had a jam with it.

SUCH a wonderful machine for tweaking and jamming.

Sometimes I wish the OP-1 had such live jamming and playability.

WTF, grabbed my OP-1 during lunch to show it to a friend and it wouldn’t turn on? The battery was completely depleted… yesterday evening the battery indicator still showed 4 out of 5 lights? After I plugged the charger in and turned it on, the speaker wouldn’t work (but the line-out did) and after a minute or two the rotary knobs suddenly stopped working??? After a reboot the speaker and knobs seem OK again… but I’m starting to lose my faith in the quality of the OP-1. My first OP-1 was sent back within 24 hours with a stuck pixel and now this after a week with my second OP-1 :frowning:

Quick question: When I set a loop point, hold down a key and press record to record the sequencer, is my timing amazing that I can release the key and create a perfect loop, or does the OP-1 assist here?

Hey @insidestrait, if you’re talking about quantization, the OP-1 doesn’t have any. You’ll have to sharpen your live rythmic skills to create the perfect loop :slight_smile:

Quick question: When I set a loop point, hold down a key and press record to record the sequencer, is my timing amazing that I can release the key and create a perfect loop, or does the OP-1 assist here?

Hey @insidestrait, if you’re talking about quantization, the OP-1 doesn’t have any. You’ll have to sharpen your live rythmic skills to create the perfect loop :slight_smile:

At first it seemes impossible but once you master a swinged 4/4 drum loop with oneshots the sky is the limit.

@Lech They build these by hand, so some units have problems often, some don’t. If you contact TE they will replace it for you if it hasn’t been a year since your purchase date.

@Lech They build these by hand

Really?

@xophize After that “incident” my second unit has been working fine and I really love the quirky little thing :slight_smile:

Do TE really build each OP-1 by hand? That would explain the high price…

@Lech Well, they use 3D printers and stuff, but yeah they do all of that themselves. So they don’t chisel aluminum and that stuff by hand, but the modeling and assembling is done by them if I recall.

Every OP-1 is built right in the garage they are set up in, and only leaves after done I’d say. They talked about it in an interview or something, if I could find it I would provide a link.

And yeah, that is why it costs so much, over 300$ profit for the time and stuff sources say. Honestly, it is reasonable.

@dimi3 I’m told the https certificate has expired, are you aware of this ?

WTF, grabbed my OP-1 during lunch to show it to a friend and it wouldn't turn on? The battery was completely depleted... yesterday evening the battery indicator still showed 4 out of 5 lights? After I plugged the charger in and turned it on, the speaker wouldn't work (but the line-out did) and after a minute or two the rotary knobs suddenly stopped working!?!?!? After a reboot the speaker and knobs seem OK again... but I'm starting to lose my faith in the quality of the OP-1. My first OP-1 was sent back within 24 hours with a stuck pixel and now this after a week with my second OP-1 :(

Hey I know I’m kinda late to the party, but I think I figured out the whole speaker restart thing. Seems like if you turn it off with headphones plugged in and then turn it on with them unplugged the speaker doesn’t work. You have to either replug the headphones or reboot to fix it. This happens often to me but not all the time. My guess is software glitch.

I was in the queue on 4 different websites to get Radiohead @ Fourvière Roman arena tickets...
And I got none :(
My brother managed to get one, whereas he was behind me in the queue.
None of my friends did.
I saw the reservation screen so many times... Bloody websites !

I'm a bit sad...

I have the same problem every time I try to get tickets for Glastonbury - heart breaking isn’t it!

Got an OP-1 on the way, and my “band” made a whole song just sampling POs and our voices. Pretty productive week, really.

Also learning how to use Logic to mix and master stuff…creating the music itself inside Logic is really painful and I think I’ll much prefer turning knobs on the OP-1.

The OP-1 will be my zombie apocalypse synth. Readily recharge it off a solar USB charger, and probably a great last ditch weapon for crushing the horde of undead’s skulls

I’m in a silly mood today.

Op-1 arrived half hour ago. Dang. This thing is so perfect for my current situation (3 clambering/grabby/curious/adorable kids ;). Exactly what I’ve been wishing Ipad mini was in terms of workflow/accessibility/spontaneous jam/ideas machine without all the lame apple hoops you gotta jump through with linking apps if you wanna do more than just sound design on it. + 3 sampling input options :slight_smile: And from other people’s tracks and vids I know it can be all you need to do complete tracks (+LPs…) on too. So stoked on it already! And the update coming sounds like more than bug fixes. Excited to learn how to use this thing!

Don’t show your kids the tombola, you’ll never get it back!

Ahahah so true !

Hi all, long time lurker on here – excited to have finally ordered my OP-1! Look forward to joining in the chat and maybe a battle or two in future :slight_smile:

(Never mind. I now realize there's a whole thread.) :)