OP-1 connector board replacement.

@crudeoperator I do, and will take a picture of it when I receive the replacement board as it’s currently back in the OP-1.
The old electronics repair guy explained ,in broken english mind you, that the circuit trace goes through the board to the back via a tiny hole that links the internal traces.

Too small for him to be able to reconnect the jack properly without specialized equipment.

He did re solder the jack back to the board as mine had lifted away but it was a no go.

^ The chance of the connector lifting off the board could be reduced by using some epoxy glue to better fix it, but it seems most of the problems reported here are due to the connector itself failing internally. Some people have argued that all such connectors are prone to fail sonner or later, but I personaly only have experienced that with the OP-1…

Big thanks to @<a href=“https://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/profile/2323/audioincognito” class=“Username” style=“margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-weight: bold; font-size: 15px; font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; text-decoration: none; color: rgb(66, 157, 168); background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”>audioincognito<span style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”> for the discount code. I got my replacement board today and installed it. My mic works now but I thought that it would fix the noise on my line in but turns out that its just op1s in general having terrible whiney noise. Super annoying.

Big thanks to @audioincognito for the discount code. I got my replacement board today and installed it. My mic works now but I thought that it would fix the noise on my line in but turns out that its just op1s in general having terrible whiney noise. Super annoying.
Yup dat OP hum. Not as bad when USB isn't plugged in

I get it even without usb plugged in. I have a spare io board but with broken mic if anyone wants it for cheap.

@crudeoperator I do, and will take a picture of it when I receive the replacement board as it's currently back in the OP-1.
The old electronics repair guy explained ,in broken english mind you, that the circuit trace goes through the board to the back via a tiny hole that links the internal traces.

Too small for him to be able to reconnect the jack properly without specialized equipment.

He did re solder the jack back to the board as mine had lifted away but it was a no go.

I just had a look and it looks straight forward to desolder and replace – decent sized pads to take the solder off and lift the connector. or is there something else that can’t be seen without taking the board out?

The problem with desoldering without a hot air gun is how to heat all component pins at the same time. If you don’t you risk lifting off the copper traces from a pin that was not properly melted.

Im new to the forum so forgive me for being a necromancer. Has anyone figured this out? it looked like you could buy boards from the UK ifixit store, but im not sure. I bought an op-1 for a disgustingly low price because it needed an io board. I had alot of fun with it until the speaker stopped working. I contacted TE and they told me the best i could do is send it out for repair. Id prefer to find a DIY solution, but at this point it seems i either sell it and buy new, or send it in? Im pretty sad that TE made such a beautiful product that is seeing huge popularity, only to seemingly abandon it

@Esperado the OP1 is 7 years old now - not insignificant time for a boutique computer-based synth that from today’s POV is quirky, underpowered, fragile, and in need of better interfacing with external gear. TE’s production pipeline seems to be such that any new model coming out, be it a PO or a new OP (Z), tends to shut out production of all other parts and/or models. I don’t think they’ve abandoned it, merely haven’t got the bandwidth (or business incentive) to stock on parts at the moment. Possibly.

1 Like

Folks,
I had the audio connector issue. Thought about buying new board. Thought about checking solder if that was the problem before spending 100$. And figured it was the same issue I’d had with most other synths: either the power or the audio out solders breaks due to normal usage—
Note to ALL : this will happen to you during your whole electronic musician life// hence learn to repair minor solders even if it’s ugly and bulky— you’ll save enough money to bring your parents to te restaurant.
A regular soldering iron did it for me.
Wish I could add a picture to show y’all.
As everything is tightly packed in there, I suggest practicing on something good else if you’ve never done this before or get your good repairsperson freak friend to help you out and buy them a gold tooth instead of waiting for a lifetime.
:wink: have fun

1 Like

Hey do you have the exact reference for the mini jack replacement?
Thanks